Nov 29, 2016, 08:03 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
See this post from March this year https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1600
I've always extended the nose on mine (at least 6 built) to help achieve the correct c of g. It also lets me access the pack from a simple top hatch and mine will accomadate 800-2200 packs although the larger packs do dent vertical performance. I also use a KFm-4 (6mm with 3mm top and bottom panels) wing and, on later builds, mount my elevator servo inside with the pushrod exiting out of the rear of the fuselage.
Andy
+1 on extending the nose!! I've built three now with longer snouts, they all flew great!! in fact I add at least 1" to every electric conversion (balsa glow/gas models) I've done, really seems to help balance and flying characteristics!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2017, 01:11 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Funky "Funbat"

Saw this on another thread, and thought I'd share!!! A cool looking plane with some definite "Funky Funbat" possibilities!!!
Mar 12, 2017, 01:27 PM
Reap the wild wind
Move the pusher motor back and you could still run a puller on there :-) That elevator looks to a bit on the large side.
Thinking of using CCW and CW motors from my expired quad to make a puller twin. Would work with the standard size version
Apr 06, 2017, 11:00 PM
Must not buy more planes!
For the first time in FOREVER it was semi-flyable today. (Temps in the 60's, winds in the 10MPH range.)

I decided my FunBat needed some excercise so I grabbed it off the wall. I noticed that the o-ring on the prop saver had failed, so I popped on a new one, charged a couple of batteries, and headed to a nearby schoolyard.

When I threw the plane up it was producing a LOT of prop noise above 50% throttle and seemed way down on power. What the heck? I landed and looked it over. Nothing was rubbing. Nothing was broken. The prop was seated firmly ... backwards. Yep - it seems that some idiot had put the prop on backwards.

I flipped it around and things went much better (and more quietly) after that.
Apr 07, 2017, 04:55 AM
Reap the wild wind
The FB remains one of my favourite models. Unlimited vertical on a 1800kv motor and can take anything from an 800 to a 2200 3s pack without too much of an effect.
The first day I fpv'd I slapped my AIO set up on her and hand launched with the headset down. She's that stable and predictable. I now use my full size set up on her
Next one will be a twin using some spare quad motors and esc's from a 250 quad that I crashed
Andy
Jun 03, 2017, 03:19 AM
Reap the wild wind
Took my FB out for a LOS flight prior to slapping on the fpv gear and glad I did. For some reason the elevator was way out of trim resulting in an unplanned touch and go before I got her trimmed out
Funbat enjoying an early Summer's evening flight (2 min 1 sec)

Andy
Jun 24, 2018, 02:46 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

FPV Funbat!

Been flying lots of FPV lately, small wings like the ZOHD Dart, Sky Shadow S800, Sonic F1, CTH Assassin, etc. I've also built a version of the mini drak! …. I enjoy FPV fixed wing flying, and want to built a slower flying FPV platform , so I'll do a pusher version of the Funbat! I'll use EPP foam, and will mount the camera and VTX in the nose for unrestricted view! need to think about CG, and prop slot configuration! want to use a 1200 kv motor and 7 or 88" prop, and fly on 3S 1300 mAh battery!
Jun 25, 2018, 12:27 AM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
Here is my take on the Funbat which is just different enough for me to call it a Funbus .

I have made seven different versions now (almost as many as Andy has made of the Funbat ).

This is pics of the PIS version that I made with FPV / camera work in mind. You can jut make out the nose section that lifts off for the camera gear.

Not massively aerobatic it has more of a gentle trainer style flying character which is just right for me and possibly FPV
Jun 25, 2018, 10:15 AM
Reap the wild wind
Sure that's bright enough Craig? :-) My stock Funbat is still one of my favourite small fpv models. Once you get used to the through the prop view it's a great model and very neutral inverted
Andy
Jun 25, 2018, 01:16 PM
It seemed like a good idea!!!!
The funny thing is despite how bright it looks, on a really sunny day you can see the tape from the other side of the foam .

That is the trouble with using white Depron Aero .
Jul 24, 2018, 04:29 PM
Reap the wild wind
Took my Funbat to the slope yesterday but it needed a lot of elevator to keep it up. Would have been better if there was no motor,esc and just a flight pack up front to balance it
Funbat slope and powered flying at Maes Knoll (2 min 50 sec)

Andy
Sep 08, 2018, 06:54 PM
Retired CAD guy
On request I am upload my original Funbat as a DXF file.
Sep 08, 2018, 07:16 PM
Thanks Bob, thats a great help!
Sep 11, 2018, 10:28 AM
With the Funbat having such a following, I am looking to build my own. I have been in conversation with “headlessagain” for his recommendations on a suitable sized version to accommodate a 2200mAh battery pack.

However it would be great to hear other people’s opinions on where the sweet spot is of this design, in terms of optimal wing size vs pack weight etc?
Sep 11, 2018, 10:49 AM
Retired CAD guy
There are a ton of guys who are happy with the original design.

But here are a couple of other versions ...

There is a 30" version ...
StingBat - FunBat mod by Beemerdon
Plan here ...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=331

Or the FB39 now layed out, for CNC cutitng, on Model Plane Foam
See pic below

And of course ;>} if you don't want to cut it out yourself ...
https://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/planes/funbat.htm
Last edited by birdofplay; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply