Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2015, 10:09 AM
Reap the wild wind
Compilation of some quick flights earlier today
Scratch built depron Funbat RC plane (3 min 16 sec)

Andy
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2015, 10:31 AM
Great flying, Andy!!

Please, what is your setup in this Funbat?
May 13, 2015, 11:12 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks. Motive power provided by a BL2208 1800kv motor, an unbranded version of this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYS-BE2208...36416278&rt=nc
spinning an APCe 7x4 prop via a 30 esc fed from anything from a 800 3s pack to a 2200 3s pack. The heavier pack does dent the performance but you do enjoy longer flight times.
I might try a 6x5 prop next especially as I think that was my last 7x4 APC
Andy
May 13, 2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Andy!

The depron is on my table. Did you round the wings edge and large the nose of the Funbat?
May 13, 2015, 11:40 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Compilation of some quick flights earlier today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckW0MFol1rM
Andy
Looks just like mine in the air!!! What a great little plane! I am enjoying it immensely !!! Don't go to the field without running at least two batteries through her!!!

Has become my favorite plane, Fast, agile, cheap, easy to repair (hasn't needed much), seems to accept any battery I happen to have charged (I've flown everything from a 850 mAH to a 2200 mAh)!!
May 13, 2015, 12:40 PM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor123
Thanks, Andy!

The depron is on my table. Did you round the wings edge and large the nose of the Funbat?
If you look back to this post you will see what she looked like originally
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1268
The rounded wing tips came about following a less than perfect WOT launch which left the right hand wing le a bit mangled. I can't tell any difference in how she flys. The nose on all my fb's (I think this one is number 6) have been extended. The current one measures 85mm from the balsa le to the back of the motor mount and 120mm in total. This allows me to access the lipo via a top hatch. The interior dimensions are 50mm wide by 50mm deep. I didn't bother with the one piece scored and folded fuse but instead just cut two sides and a bottom with a few 6mm depron bulkheads internally.
Andy
May 14, 2015, 07:35 AM
Looks great Headless!!

I am glad everyone here at least enjoys this plane as much as I do. I have a MPF (model plane foam) version from Bob I have been flying for almost a year. I built it for FliteFest last year and will probably take it again this year once I put a new motor on it. I burned my Micro park jet up last time out.

Even tho everyone at FliteFest was flying the Bloody Wonder and most had never heard of the Funbat, it was still very cool to see 40+ of them in the air for combat.

One of these days I will get some mods done to extend the nose on the plans. I still fly with the original nose.

I may also add a 3D printable motor mount for the Funbat. I have been modeling one up for just about everything I have built lately.

Let me know what you all think.
May 14, 2015, 09:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
I think a 3d motor mount would be a great idea especially if it matched my 50mm x 50mm internal dimensions It would best if it was only 3 sided to about 30-40mm with curved sides and top/bottom so as not to create a weak point. My reason for a 3 sided design would be to leave either the top or bottom with only a small return to allow lipo access. The sides could be cross hatched or perforated so the glue passes through the holes for better adhesion and one side could feature a horizontal loop for a zip tie to keep the motor wires nice and tidy.
Not asking for much I'm I?
Andy
May 14, 2015, 10:44 AM
So far in my experience, The natural texture of a printed part makes for great glue adhesion. I have so far been printing rectangular plates with 3 tabs for alignment and extra glue surface. Tabs are internal to the fuse. This allows 3 walls to have glue contact to the motor mount. I have also added a hole on several for wire routing. to help tidy things up a bit.

also when printed solid they can be trimmed a bit her and there to accommodate many builds.

I can make on for 50mmx50mm inside dimension tho easily. you like the standard 16mmx19mm hole pattern for mounting the motor direct or the X bracket mounting holes of 32mm dia I believe is the most common.

I have been going with direct mounts mostly, and the 16mm x 19mm is the most common on the motors I use. printed in ABS I have (recently) burned up a motor with no issues on the motor mount. No warping or melting so far altho I have not tried printing in PLA for a while now. It may work out fine but it does have a lower melt point.
May 14, 2015, 12:19 PM
Never trade Luck for Skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan
One of these days I will get some mods done to extend the nose on the plans. I still fly with the original nose.
Hi, is there a consensus on the 'sweet spot' for how far to extend the nose? I saw quite a bit of variation among the many pages of this thread, figured I'd ask while I'm still cutting

Thanks!

Dusty
May 14, 2015, 12:51 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4WDU5T..
Hi, is there a consensus on the 'sweet spot' for how far to extend the nose? I saw quite a bit of variation among the many pages of this thread, figured I'd ask while I'm still cutting

Thanks!

Dusty
Hi Dusty...I'm not sure there is a "wrong" way to build the "Funbat" She is a very forgiving design, and accepts modifications well!!!

FWIW... I made the nose on mine extend 4-1/4" past the leading edge of the wing! The 1/4" thick plywood motor mount/fire wall is 3" in front of the leading edge and the additional 1-1/4" serves to "enclose the motor.

I also used a 3" "Step" for kmf2 airfoil, and placed the CF "Spar" 2" from the LE of the wing. (I use the 2" spar location as the balance point for CG).

I also took some "liberty's" with the original design by doing a full fuselage to hold the battery topside of the wing, as well as a full rear deck between the vertical stabilizers!

here are a few pics of mine , I'm sure others have done differently, but I can attest that mine is a very, very, very, nice flyer!!!

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and post a few pics!
May 16, 2015, 01:05 AM
Must not buy more planes!
My best-ever Funbats have the 'stock' nose. I've had to push the ESC all the way forward, laid sideways right behind and above the firewall. The battery goes all the way forward (right up against the firewall.) And they fly GREAT! So, you don't have to extend the nose at all to have a successful build.

But, as the above indicates, I had to work to get the CG far enough forward and I don't really have a lot of options in terms of component placement, battery size, etc.

That said, I've added another inch or two on subsequent builds, just to give me more flexibility.
May 24, 2015, 02:27 PM

Combat Bats...

Here are my 2 new combat wings... one is a standard FunBat and the other is a hybrid.

Cheers...
May 24, 2015, 03:41 PM
Must not buy more planes!
Cool. How do they fly?
May 24, 2015, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson
Cool. How do they fly?
They fly great... very fast and aerobatic, for combat--- we have a lot of fun with these types of crafts.

Cheers

Quick Reply