New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:47 AM
Find More Posts by Sandancer
"Auntie Samantha"
Build Log

B-25 Mitchell "TONDELAYO": The Landing Gear & Robart Goodyears

I did a major modification to the B-25 TONDELAYO landing gear.

I didn't like the looks of those big bulky bay doors hanging down when the landing gear was deployed, so I adapted the mod I did with the bay doors on my "Auntie Samantha" P-51, and made them disappear.
Once again, I utilized the Microgear sequencer to get them to do what I needed. Like the P-51, I got the doors to close after the Landing Gear deployed. First thou, I needed to figure a way for the doors to clear the struts in the closed position. The solution was quite simple, I just cut slots in the doors so they would clearance the legs.

Once I figured out what I needed to do with the doors, I sat out to replace the wheels with something more scale. For the nose wheel I chose the DuBro 1 3/4" spoked wheel. For the main gear I first tried a 2 1/4" wheel, but there wasn't enough clearance to close the doors completely, so I settled on a set of Robart 2" diamond tread Goodyears.

With the Microgear controlling the LG/Bay doors, and those Goodyears, the TONDELAYO is looking Goooood!

B-25 Tondelayo__Landing Gear (3 min 37 sec)
Last edited by Sandancer; Feb 25, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:19 PM
Ldm
Find More Posts by Ldm
Ldm
Great Info Tom , thanks for the link and details !!!!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I did a major modification to the B-25 TONDELAYO landing gear.

I didn't like the looks of those big bulky bay doors hanging down when the landing gear was deployed, so I adapted the mod I did with the bay doors on my "Auntie Samantha" P-51, and made them disappear.
Once again, I utilized the Microgear sequencer to get them to do what I needed. Like the P-51, I got the doors to close after the Landing Gear deployed. First thou, I needed to figure a way for the doors to clear the struts in the closed position. The solution was quite simple, I just cut slots in the doors so they would clearance the legs.

Once I figured out what I needed to do with the doors, I sat out to replace the wheels with something more scale. For the nose wheel I chose the DuBro 1 3/4" spoked wheel. For the main gear I first tried a 2 1/4" wheel, but there wasn't enough clearance to close the doors completely, so I settled on a set of Robart 2" diamond tread Goodyears.

With the Microgear controlling the LG/Bay doors, and those Goodyears, the TONDELAYO is looking Goooood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRKtfB8kD8
I picked up a pair of the 2 inch diamond tread wheels, they do look great. but, they seem heavy. Have you had any issues with them?

Jim
Old Aug 30, 2016, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jpmcdo
How do you mount the Robart 2 inch wheels? I used the smaller inner hub and put two washers between the wheel and gear strut to take up slack. I'm using the retainer that came with the plane and I can not get the spokes to snap on tightly.