Feb 04, 2011, 09:46 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Thread OP
Build Log

2011 Build-off Redux-Easybuilt's Modelcraft Hornet

Hi all. I figure it's time to put the Westerner aside, clear the bench, clear my mind and start a new build log for the 2011 Build-Off..plus, this will give me a chance to build a bird for my Deezil, have a plane for SAM Limited Engine Run "A", and redeem myself in my own mind..
It was a tough choice, but I decided on the Easybuilt kit of the Modelcraft Hornet, a neat looking little cabin job of around 48 inch span, and 308 square inches. This plane was originally kitted by Modelcraft out of Canada, but is now kitted by Easybuilt..it's also a printwood kit, and the plans are a copy of the originals from 1939, so this is kind of like building an original kit, although I suspect the wood quality is better now than then. My goal is to have this plane come in at a fighting weight of around 22-23 ounces, with 3 channels on board and the Deezil..rudder, elevator and an engine shut-off, no throttle. SAM rules state that original and replica ignition engines get 35 seconds of run time in the Limited Engine Run (LER) event, and btw that replica Deezil ALSO QUALIFIES!!

Check this out-from the SAM 2010 rules page:
"B. Original Ignition engines are those produced prior to 1950 (or otherwise meeting SAM Engine Committee qualifications and approval) using compression or cam operated breaker points, spark plug(s), batteries (or magnetos), and coils and condenser to ignite the fuel mixture. Breaker point operated transistorized switching systems, which eliminate the condenser, are acceptable. Pre-1950 diesels are, by definition, Original Ignition engines. Original Ignition engines, converted to glow by the manufacturer and afterwards reconverted, retain their initial classification. Replicas of Original Ignition engines bearing the same name are categorized as Original Ignition engines."

So, I can have a competitive SAM bird, without having a 19-20000 rpm glow engine screaming away and freaking out people in the pits when the plane ROG's in 2 feet or less..although I admit I kinda like that too
We got off early at work due to the weather, and I decided to do a little framing this afternoon..didn't get a TON done, but I did get both sides framed up, and then some crossbracing installed and the tailpost glued. This plane's fuse is build up out of 3/16th strip, then fleshed out with a couple of formers forward, some upper formers aft and stringers. Next steps involve the front end, I need to make some adjustments to fit the Deezil before I continue..here's what I accomplished this afternoon..
Last edited by CashRC; Feb 07, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2011, 10:33 PM
Inspiration dude

Bill
Feb 04, 2011, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Jeez, Bill, how many Hornet's do you have?
I'm thinking I'm gonna like this little bird..
Thanks Bill!!
Last edited by CashRC; Feb 04, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Feb 04, 2011, 11:41 PM
One more at the original size 1/2A

Bill
Last edited by williame3590; Feb 04, 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: photos
Feb 05, 2011, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
My wife gave me some bench time today, so I took full advantage of her generosity, and got a ton done to the Hornet. I have the fuse mostly finished, front end's done, I changed it up a bit to suit the Deezil, then bent up the landing gear, installed it using a thicker piece of ply than what came in the kit, and used landing gear clamps for 1/8th wire bushed out with thin rubber fuel lineto fit the 3/32nd wire, then installed the stringers..I also went ahead and installed the timer mount that's located just aft of the wing trailing edge, top of the fuse. I think it's part of the Hornet's looks and character, so it's where it's supposed to be.
I'm enjoying this build!! I mean, for the most part I've enjoyed them all, or I wouldn't build..but this one's going well.
Heres some more pics..
Feb 06, 2011, 01:46 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Nice work Cash. I love that Deezil.

Scott
Feb 06, 2011, 12:33 PM
Cash,
Have the same kit; cut the parts out years ago but never went any further. Even bought an O&R .23 sparker for it. You give inspiration with your nice work.
By the way, I agree with Scott on your motor choice...NICE!

Chuck
Feb 07, 2011, 11:03 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Is the Fuselage framing made with 3/16 sq.balsa?

Thanks
Scott
Feb 08, 2011, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&white
Is the Fuselage framing made with 3/16 sq.balsa?

Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott..the main fuselage framing is 3/16th, the stringers are 1/8th x 3/32nd.
Feb 08, 2011, 10:42 AM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=tri-pacer;17328224]Cash,
Have the same kit; cut the parts out years ago but never went any further. Even bought an O&R .23 sparker for it. You give inspiration with your nice work.
By the way, I agree with Scott on your motor choice...NICE!

Chuck[/QUOTE
Hi Chuck..thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. Hopefully she trims easy and flies like I'm thinking she will..
Feb 10, 2011, 11:20 PM
Thread OP

Tailfeathers roughed out

Started the tail a day or so ago..I framed up the vertical first, it's a fairly simple build of 3/16th sheet parts, 3/16th square and 3/16th X 1/8th. I added a second 3/16th spar right behind the original, cut the rudder loose after framing. The horizontal is almost as easy, with the exception of capstrips over the ribs. I'll also have to install some filler between the capstrips at the hingeline on both the stab and elevator, that way the covering will have a good place to attach at that point. I'm about half done with the tail, need to finish installing the capstrips and filler, then shape and sand everything,,
Here's pics:
Feb 13, 2011, 10:42 PM
Thread OP

Tail framed, wing started

Hi all..even though it was a LOVELY day in North Texas, with a clear blue sky and 65-70 degree temperatures, I decided to build a bit today. I worked yesterday, so the Sunday after I work we basically take it easy..sleep in, do some chores around the house, that's about it. I finally dragged my carcass out of bed around 845 am, took the Hawk down to give her a bath, returned home and after some glass and chrome cleaning I went into the garage to get some building done.
Got a bit done too! I added to capstrips to the stab and elevator, then added filler between the caps at the hinge line. Normally one wouldn't need to do this on a free flight model, but it needs to be done once a hing line is established or the covering will sag between the caps at the hinge..wouldn't want that now..
The wing is fairly straightforward..I opted to use a solid trailing edge in lieu of the 1/16th sheet top/bottom style of TE, as I feel this is stronger with very little weight gain, plus there's less chance of me screwing it up!
The center section is built as a unit and set aside with sheeting, ribs and braces in place, then each panel is built up. Only thing I have against this plane is the spar thru the wing method of building, I would prefer upper-lower and shear webs, but it should be okay. The Deezil spins a 10-4 at 7600-8300 rpm, and using an online thrust calculator I came up with around 25-27 ounces of thrust, and a speed of between 33-40 mph, depending on prop and rpm. so I don't think I'll over stress her..BTW, the wing panel is not finished, only pieces I have to install are the false ribs, I just haven't cut them out yet..
On to the pics!!
Feb 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thread OP

We have Wing!!

Got a little update, got the wing almost finished, I have to add a couple more gussets, check the wing over and final sanding. The fuse is finished for the most part except for the sheeting over the tank area and some attention to the radio bay and pushrod exit, and the tail feathers need final sanding, then they are ready for hinging and covering. Maybe a couple more weeks and she'll be ready!!
Here's pics..
Feb 21, 2011, 12:29 PM
That looks so good!

Owl
Feb 23, 2011, 01:14 PM
She's looking good, Cash!

What colors are you going to use for her?

CD

Quick Reply