Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Dec 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
It is cold here in WV, and it is getting dark early, but it was pretty today so I loaded up my Cessna and headed to the flying field. This plane never lets me down.

Jim
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Registered User
wjb111's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan
It is cold here in WV, and it is getting dark early, but it was pretty today so I loaded up my Cessna and headed to the flying field. This plane never lets me down.

Jim

Looking good Jim. At least you have a better chance of the weather being decent enough to fly.
I'm doing a few repairs to my Cessna 182 & hope to get a day or two between the holidays for some air time.


Bill B.
Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 PM
Registered User
I'll be taking mine out in the morning with some upgrades. 2 1/2 inch dubro low bounce wheels. For anyone who wants to know, I've flown with the gopro in the cockpit and the cg was not affected.
Dec 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
johnd
Cool... I'm hoping for a GoPro for Christmas :-)
Dec 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
It was overcast today, but not real cold and no wind to speak of. So I got in three flights with my Cessna today.

Jim
FMS Cessna (8 min 13 sec)
Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
Registered User
Nice Jim. What camera are you using?

This plane has become my favorite. I'm tempted to buy another to just keep just incase lol. It handles very well and lands like a feather. I take this out everytime I fly and sometimes I dont even fly my warbirds
Dec 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
Registered User
WVrailfan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMention
Nice Jim. What camera are you using?

This plane has become my favorite. I'm tempted to buy another to just keep just incase lol. It handles very well and lands like a feather. I take this out everytime I fly and sometimes I dont even fly my warbirds
Thanks. I agree, these are sweet flying planes, I have considered gettin another one. But I'm also looking at the NP Aerosky 185. I'd like to find a review other than the NP video, I think it looks like a neat mate to the FMS 182.

the camera is one of the 808 key fob cams. I think it is the #16 version. For what they cost, they are neat little video cams.

Jim
Dec 19, 2012, 11:14 PM
Suspenders Account
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan
just ordered these for mine, getting ready for some winter fun here in WV.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSDV&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSDW&P=7

They seem good and sturdy, likely better than what I could make my self.

Jim
Rc-castle.com sells floats designed for this plane
http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?cPath=136

And lots of spare parts incl prop and prop shafts - ask me how I know
http://rc-castle.com/shop/index.php?cPath=154_153_169

Slow boat from china though
Last edited by bhoov128; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Add another link
Dec 20, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered User
I ordered one of the FMS 55" 182's from BH yesterday and have modified the Cessna in Phoenix to 55" and electric. Can anyone who's done it in Phoenix comment on how the flight characteristics compare to the real model?
Dec 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
I did the same thing with Phoenix... in my experience every Cessna 182 model exhibits pretty much the same flying characteristics. So, the short answer is yes

BUT, it is sooo docile and easy to fly I recommend mixing in some other models that require more precision on the sticks to improve your overall flying skills. Start with mixing in the Stinson and then the T28 Trojan... once you are proficient with those models you should be able to fly any airplane on the SIM with confidence.

Also make sure you create copies of the default models and change the difficulty to 100% advanced. That makes them fly as close to real life as possible with the SIM.
Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro
I did the same thing with Phoenix... in my experience every Cessna 182 model exhibits pretty much the same flying characteristics. So, the short answer is yes
Thanks, I've flown a few different planes but I think the last one was about 30 years ago. Now that I'm retired I have a lot more time to play. I don't have any trouble in Phoenix with the Cessna,T-28, Stinson, or the Corsair unless I put in a 5+ mph cross wind. Most of the other high wing trainer types are too slow and easy but I'm pretty good at breaking 4 props at once with the B-17. Some of my landings with the warbirds look like a cowboy walking after a 100 mile ride. Looking at the videos of people flying it appears like the Cessna in Phoenix was a little underpowered so I changed the thrust/weight ratio to 1.1 from .9. I'll change the rating to Advanced which I assume is what you meant by 100%.
Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Registered User
wjb111's Avatar
She is ready to hit the sky again. Had a few repairs and thanks to donaldlo
I have a windshield again. Just need some half mild weather and a little less
Wind. Gusts to 47 mph today.
Last edited by wjb111; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar

Its a Alive... Its a Alive...


Ha! Mine two. I spent the better part of the day finally fixing my broken SkyTrainer which hasn't been touched for 7 months! After its last crash I was ready to move on, but i decided to finally fix it for my Son. He is off from school for winter break starting next week and I am hoping to kick his addiction into high gear. It is the old 4CH version. I am not going to post pics of it or you will think the apocalypse is indeed here. It literally looks as if someone chewed it and spit it back out. A Franken-Cessna will be an understatement. It has more epoxy and GG than foam at this point. There is not part (and I mean no part) which hasn't been moded or needed some repair. That thing is ugly! Not even a cowl. But, i know better than to beatify it before its re-maiden. No point in sanding, spackling and painting if it flies like crap. If my Son gets his first 20 or so flights out of it, I will finally retire it for good, (and perhaps treat my son and myself for a new 6CH one). I will bring it to the Field on Sat and report how it goes. It is going to be hilarious for sure.
Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 PM
Suspenders Account
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
Ha! Mine two. I spent the better part of the day finally fixing my broken SkyTrainer which hasn't been touched for 7 months! After its last crash I was ready to move on, but i decided to finally fix it for my Son. He is off from school for winter break starting next week and I am hoping to kick his addiction into high gear. It is the old 4CH version. I am not going to post pics of it or you will think the apocalypse is indeed here. It literally looks as if someone chewed it and spit it back out. A Franken-Cessna will be an understatement. It has more epoxy and GG than foam at this point. There is not part (and I mean no part) which hasn't been moded or needed some repair. That thing is ugly! Not even a cowl. But, i know better than to beatify it before its re-maiden. No point in sanding, spackling and painting if it flies like crap. If my Son gets his first 20 or so flights out of it, I will finally retire it for good, (and perhaps treat my son and myself for a new 6CH one). I will bring it to the Field on Sat and report how it goes. It is going to be hilarious for sure.
Mad Max Cessna 182
Dec 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
Registered User
wjb111's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav
Ha! Mine two. I spent the better part of the day finally fixing my broken SkyTrainer which hasn't been touched for 7 months! After its last crash I was ready to move on, but i decided to finally fix it for my Son. He is off from school for winter break starting next week and I am hoping to kick his addiction into high gear. It is the old 4CH version. I am not going to post pics of it or you will think the apocalypse is indeed here. It literally looks as if someone chewed it and spit it back out. A Franken-Cessna will be an understatement. It has more epoxy and GG than foam at this point. There is not part (and I mean no part) which hasn't been moded or needed some repair. That thing is ugly! Not even a cowl. But, i know better than to beatify it before its re-maiden. No point in sanding, spackling and painting if it flies like crap. If my Son gets his first 20 or so flights out of it, I will finally retire it for good, (and perhaps treat my son and myself for a new 6CH one). I will bring it to the Field on Sat and report how it goes. It is going to be hilarious for sure.

arnav

Glad to hear you resurrected your Cessna. They so seem to take a lickin & keep on tickin after some welders etc. It can't look any worse than Stupid Monkeys Cessna. Look back a few months on this thread. He must have had 2 lbs of bondo in that plane & it looked like it.. LOL

If the weather doesn't get any better here in Michigan, I will come down to Florida so we can do some flying.....

Happy Holidays !!!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dynam Sky Trainer Cessna 182 dbc Foamies (Kits) 833 Feb 04, 2017 06:19 PM
Question Nitoplanes Airfield RC 55 Trainer $139.00 hyed Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 17 Jul 31, 2016 08:57 AM
Discussion New Airfield Cessna 182 Sky Trainer w/ Lights and flaps al18r21 Electric Plane Talk 93 Dec 27, 2014 04:31 AM
New Product New Airfield Cessna 182 skytrainer nitroplanes Scale Kit/Scratch Built 323 Apr 01, 2012 09:33 AM
Sold Nitro Planes Foam AirField Cessna Skyline 182 - 55" Trainer "RTF" $100 FlyBoyTha1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 12 Feb 10, 2010 05:15 PM