Jun 24, 2011, 12:10 PM
User Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
1st I've heard of issues with the ESCs in the other FMS birds. What kind of problems are you refering to?
I'm refering to problems like black out, or it not being ample enough for the power set up??? I plan on replacing the ESC if I use 4S batteries, if it fits???
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
i just bought the FMS version from SN hobbie, i had the NP versin before. This was one of the most fun beater planes i owned,after the last crash with the NP version i couldnt wait to get another one.
Jun 24, 2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPilot View Post
I'm refering to problems like black out, or it not being ample enough for the power set up??? I plan on replacing the ESC if I use 4S batteries, if it fits???
Most people are getting ESC cut offs due to LVC and causing the airplane to crash because of loss of control. That is pilot error, not electronics malfunction. They try to fix that by installing a seperate BEC. This allows the radio and servos to still get power even if the ESC cuts out/burns up.

A lot of times, people charge up their batteries too fast, using higher than 1c or not allowing the battery to cool down b4 charging. This causes your lipos to loose their overall capacity over time (even if the manufacturer recomends/allows higher than 1c charging). So your 2200 may only have 1800mah even though it is fully charged. A friend of mine almost lost his plane because of this.

I've run 4s on the Cessna with no issues. Just don't go full throttle for too long.
Jun 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
I took my Cessna 182 out for the maiden today. The winds were about 10mph with slight gusts coming about 90 degree angle to the landing area, temp was around 90. I was pretty nervous and double checked everyhing before I took her up. I dropped the flaps 100% got her rolling and after around 25' I pushed to full throttle. In another 25' she was up in the air and climbing strongly. After reaching around 100' I throttled back, retracted the flaps and trimmed her out. I had a hard time getting everything trimmed properly with the gusty conditions up high but she wasn't that hard to fly. After a few passes I wanted to check how she would land. Dropped the flaps on the downwind leg and she flaired up quite a bit (might have the flaps dropping too much, need to check that) and slowed way down. I lined her up (between trees and light poles!!!) added a little throttle and down elevator. Once she was around 15' off the runway I lowered the throttle to a 1/4 and flew her in. I have to admit I had a bouncy landing but the landing gear held up. I checked her over and everything looked good. Took a short break and put her back up again. I think she's a great plane and is easy to take off and fly (still need to get used to the flaps thing). landing takes some skill and space. Overall I'm very happy wiht the plane and am looking for a new place to fly.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Steve
Jun 24, 2011, 04:37 PM
Been stocking up on spare parts before I maiden mine. UPS just now delivered 4 prop shafts I got from NP (snicker). Got my extra props 2 days ago.By Wednesday next week I will be getting spare firewall more props, N# stickers to replace the G set and other stuff.

So this is the big weekend, going to be in the low 80's! Wish me luck!

Bruce...
Jun 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
Glad you had a good flight, Steve. I like this plane, too.

Good luck, Bruce...
Jun 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Chestersdead- thanks for the advice. Where did you buy the new motor. props, etc?
Steve
motor from ebay...linked the guys store on his ebay page...it comes with extra motor shaft...not the hub though. I forget where i found the extra $2.50 hubs...but i bought 4 of them and 1 extra for my NP motor.(from NP) They will always tell you they only have 1. but they have more they just limit what each person buys so other ppl can get them and they dont sell out. I guess to keep people from being pissed off. Props i got from hobby town..I quit trying to find 3 blade ones so I bought 2 blade props for $3 dollars each...really helps keep costs down by buying the NEODYM motor for $23. So i bought 5 props=$15 4 hubs $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-480-Neodym-...item5644d01c64

looks like he went up on price on motor..i think hobby partz has an exceed motor replacement that might be cheaper but you might run into the hub availability issue again.

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/

i dont even attach my spinner as i dont want to break it lol...ill sav it for pictures or shows

ill try and find where i bought the hubs...i was worried they wouldnt matchup but they did..had the 3 allen screws and everything. but they dont match the Nitro planes 3536 960kv motor. I put that motor to the side...
I feel your pain i hit a curb and bent my prop shaft before i could even fly the plane..so it sat for 3 weeks until i gave up on NP..Then when i did get parts the ESC burned up on me.

Its a good plane..just the accesories suck..the rudder servo should already be gone on yours by now... And I was also wondering where all the servo cables came from too for only a rudder and ailerons...you ever figure that out? i think they are prewired for flap upgrade. do you know?
Jun 24, 2011, 04:53 PM
Quote:
I ordered mine from SN Hobbies bcuz I wanted the N numbers instead of the G numbers. They are the same plane, both are from FMS. NP relabels theirs as Airfield. SN is direct from FMS.

Next time just order $100 worth, shipping would be FREE!!

Vincent
so they are exactly the same ceassna? what version? is the front landing gear the new update type? and how much for the SN?
Jun 24, 2011, 04:54 PM
Good luck Bruce. I would advice you to keep the speed up on landings and watch the planes trim as you retract/deploy the flaps. Also this plane flies nicely a little over half throttle Other than that enjoy!
Steve
Jun 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
and why buy the SN hobbie FMS? its almost 70 dollars more
Jun 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
Chestersdead- thanks for the info and links. Too bad the guy on ebay jacked up the price, looks like a good motor.
Steve
Would this be the same motor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brushless-outrun...item19c6079865
Last edited by SteveO; Jun 24, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Jun 24, 2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Good luck Bruce. I would advice you to keep the speed up on landings and watch the planes trim as you retract/deploy the flaps. Also this plane flies nicely a little over half throttle Other than that enjoy!
Steve
Thanks for the heads up Steve!
Has anybody trimmed the wheel pants for better rolling in grass, and did it help?

I also will be getting a Du-Bro spring loaded front end as this one looks really week and from what I have read.

I (re)started this hobby out wrong by getting a low wing electric sporster, (not flown yet) then a nitro to electric conversion of a 40 size Hanger 9 Cessna I had in storage for 20 years. I did let a pro maiden that one, but it will wait now till I get this bird in the air. I am looking forward to it!

Good luck all!

Bruce..
Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestersdead View Post
and why buy the SN hobbie FMS? its almost 70 dollars more
Its the most current version.

It more expensive because it is receiver ready, meaning it came with batteries, chargers etc. Everything except the tx and rx. Plus free shipping made it cheaper than buying from NP.

Vincent
Jun 25, 2011, 02:47 AM
User Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168
Its the most current version.

It more expensive because it is receiver ready, meaning it came with batteries, chargers etc. Everything except the tx and rx. Plus free shipping made it cheaper than buying from NP.

Vincent
But the one from NP.com looks new as well, it has a 3 bladed prop and sturdier rear landing gear. For $169 it comes with a 3S 2200mAh battery and 3S LiPo balance charger, 6 CH TX/RX which is mostly likely is not high quality, but at least it comes free.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...d-rtf-24g.html
Last edited by PacificPilot; Jun 25, 2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Added link...
Jun 25, 2011, 02:56 AM
User Registered
Quote:
I've run 4s on the Cessna with no issues. Just don't go full throttle for too long.
Great! So the 4S battery fits then right??? I'm thinking 4S 3000mAh or can I go 4000??? Hahaha!!! I plan on putting a 60A ESC and a separate BEC so I should be able to go full thottle right???

Quick Reply