Feb 03, 2011, 09:08 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Ubiquiti Networks AirView2 Spectrum Analyzer

I did a search and it has been mentioned a couple of times in other threads but thought it would be good for everyone to see it. The Ubiquiti Networks AirView2 is a USB spectrum analyzer. Some of you might be familiar with the WiSpy, this AirView is similar without some of the advanced functionality that WiSpy offers in some models. You can export screen shots from the software but it doesnt have recording or playback. But at $40 it would be a great investment to have for anyone who wants one but cant justify the cost of the WiSpy or a club just to monitor the 2.4Ghz band. Titan Wireless has them and has great service, it shipped the next day after I ordered and arrived in just a few days. Even got a follow up email today to make sure I received and was happy with my order.

Ubiquiti Networks Airview

Titan Wireless
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah but that's only on land.. I doubt the range is any good you would probably have to walk around the field perimeter carrying the laptop. Your RX is what has to see your tx, if your rx is high enough to get other odd 2.4ghz stuff and the device at ground level is no good. Maybe if you put one in a HUGE rc plane and did a frequency recon mission... No just kidding.
Feb 04, 2011, 12:32 PM
Flying What?!?
The $60 one with the external ant is a great deal also. Much better range. I use it to maximize wireless networking around the house.
Feb 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Thread OP
For most peoples flying style if there is a signal 100' in the air that is strong enough to cause an issue it will be strong enough that you will be able to see it from the ground also. To do a thorough survey yes you would have to do a full site survey testing from multiple locations. Which for most fields wouldnt be terribly difficult. Its merely a tool to address the possibility of potential issues or rule out 2.4ghz interference in the event that a site may have an issue.
Feb 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
F3-RES is fun!
I have an Airview2 also. It does work well, to show the activity on 2.4 ghz. It is nothing compared to the $4K to $10K commerical units (Cisco makes a nice one). The high end units even show ID numbers of units emitting RF.
The Airview2 would give you a nice image of the activity at the flying field. Unlike home WiFi routers that you can manually change to one of the 11 frequencies, your RC transmitter does "it's own thing".. You can only watch the RF signals dance around the 2.4 ghz spectrum.

Quick Reply