Name the SEFF 2011 beer contest - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 03, 2011, 09:24 AM
Discussion

Name the SEFF 2011 beer contest

Hey folks,

Fast Freddie and I brewed a Belgian Tripel this year to celebrate our 10th Annual SEFF. We have 50 gallons fermenting in my basement right now. This beer is very fitting for special occasions as it will come in at 8.5%-9% ABV. It will go very well with a BBQ dinner.

We need your help in coming up with a fitting name for the beer. Post your top three entries here. The winner will get 50 raffle tickets. Must be a registered pilot at the event to get the tickets.

The entry deadline is February 15. The winner will be chosen and announced on February 16th.

Below is a description of the style per the Beer Judge Certification style guidelines:

18C. Belgian Tripel
Aroma: Complex with moderate to significant spiciness, moderate fruity esters and low alcohol and hop aromas. Generous spicy, peppery, sometimes clove-like phenols. Esters are often reminiscent of citrus fruits such as oranges, but may sometimes have a slight banana character. A low yet distinctive spicy, floral, sometimes perfumy hop character is usually found. Alcohols are soft, spicy and low in intensity. No hot alcohol or solventy aromas. The malt character is light. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Deep yellow to deep gold in color. Good clarity. Effervescent. Long-lasting, creamy, rocky, white head resulting in characteristic “Belgian lace” on the glass as it fades.

Flavor: Marriage of spicy, fruity and alcohol flavors supported by a soft malt character. Low to moderate phenols are peppery in character. Esters are reminiscent of citrus fruit such as orange or sometimes lemon. A low to moderate spicy hop character is usually found. Alcohols are soft, spicy, often a bit sweet and low in intensity. Bitterness is typically medium to high from a combination of hop bitterness and yeast-produced phenolics. Substantial carbonation and bitterness lends a dry finish with a moderately bitter aftertaste. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although lighter than the substantial gravity would suggest (thanks to sugar and high carbonation). High alcohol content adds a pleasant creaminess but little to no obvious warming sensation. No hot alcohol or solventy character. Always effervescent. Never astringent.

Overall Impression: Strongly resembles a Strong Golden Ale but slightly darker and somewhat fuller-bodied. Usually has a more rounded malt flavor but should not be sweet.

Comments: High in alcohol but does not taste strongly of alcohol. The best examples are sneaky, not obvious. High carbonation and attenuation helps to bring out the many flavors and to increase the perception of a dry finish. Most Trappist versions have at least 30 IBUs and are very dry. Traditionally bottle-conditioned (“refermented in the bottle”).

History: Originally popularized by the Trappist monastery at Westmalle.

Ingredients: The light color and relatively light body for a beer of this strength are the result of using Pilsner malt and up to 20% white sugar. Noble hops or Styrian Goldings are commonly used. Belgian yeast strains are used – those that produce fruity esters, spicy phenolics and higher alcohols – often aided by slightly warmer fermentation temperatures. Spice additions are generally not traditional, and if used, should not be recognizable as such. Fairly soft water.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.075 – 1.085
IBUs: 20 – 40 FG: 1.008 – 1.014
SRM: 4.5 – 7 ABV: 7.5 – 9.5%

Commercial Examples: Westmalle Tripel, La Rulles Tripel, St. Bernardus Tripel, Chimay Cinq Cents (White), Watou Tripel, Val-Dieu Triple, Affligem Tripel, Grimbergen Tripel, La Trappe Tripel, Witkap Pater Tripel, Corsendonk Abbey Pale Ale, St. Feuillien Tripel, Bink Tripel, Tripel Karmeliet, New Belgium Trippel, Unibroue La Fin du Monde, Dragonmead Final Absolution, Allagash Tripel Reserve, Victory Golden Monkey
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2011, 09:46 AM
aka Ranger Bill
let's see...

Tripel Ace (for the combat guys)

SEFF Sensation

Tripel 10th
Feb 03, 2011, 09:53 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
SEFF Superbier X

Now I know that a single "X" typically indicates an abv of ~3% but in this case it represents the 10th SEFF...and from the description, it sure sounds like a super beer!

My Suggestion...

Tim
AG4RZ
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Feb 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers
Hey folks, Fast Freddie and I brewed a Belgian Tripel this year

Comments: High in alcohol but does not taste strongly of alcohol. The best examples are sneaky, not obvious.
Sounds like "BBQ Ninja Brew" to me.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 03, 2011, 10:55 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
How about "Soon to Be Yearn"

Mike
Feb 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Tripel "Tail Touch" Belgian

Lomcovak Tripel - "Lomcovak" translated into English, roughly means "cause of a headache" or "hangover". (kinda funny)

Belgian Tripel Loop
Last edited by Willmsy; Feb 03, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Feb 03, 2011, 01:32 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Golden Ground Effect Tripel
TurboProp Tripel
Trailing Edge Tripel

Diggs
Feb 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Fast Freddie's Effervescent Sensation

or FFES which is of course SEFF backward
Feb 03, 2011, 07:27 PM
I see a couple good ones in here already.
Feb 03, 2011, 08:03 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Tail-tappin' Tripel

(kinda playing off Wilmsy's suggestion, but going for the alliteration in the P sounds...)
Feb 03, 2011, 08:34 PM
We shall serve the Lord
How about

Tripel X

Gets the Tripel and the Roman Numeral for 10 as well as the play on XXX rating for the Brew.

or

Tres Equis -- The beer of choice of the most interesting flyers in the world.

or combine the two and get

Tripel Equis

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 04, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Feb 04, 2011, 08:11 PM
....PieMaster....
Tripel Edge

Tripel Prop

Tripel Yak
Feb 04, 2011, 11:18 PM
Is it SEFF yet?
I can only come up with two so far...

Tripel Lutz - careful or you will end up on your tail

3B - using Belgian Tripel as a play on 3D
Feb 05, 2011, 09:08 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
SEFF Tripel Loop

Belgian Tripel Barrel Roll Beer

Old Yellar From The SEFF Cellar
Last edited by M.Putnam; Feb 05, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Feb 06, 2011, 10:30 AM
SEFF's 10th Anniversary Tripel Trappist Treat

Quick Reply