New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:35 PM
flitelab is offline
Find More Posts by flitelab
flitelab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I don't think so.

The Different gearshafts have reverse thread from normal gearshafts so the nut's and props don't fly off.

To reverse the gearbox, they would need 1 more gear in the reverse box and two different gearbox designs
Ah perhaps, or they could just turn the motor or gear off the other end could they not?
Site Sponsor
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
jpt1205 is offline
Find More Posts by jpt1205
Mayday! Mayday!
jpt1205's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I don't think so.

The Different gearshafts have reverse thread from normal gearshafts so the nut's and props don't fly off.

To reverse the gearbox, they would need 1 more gear in the reverse box and two different gearbox designs
I think it's a simple matter of reversing polarity on the wires with each side--you can do the same thing with any of your electric motors--try switching any of your ESC wires to the motor and see what happens...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:37 PM
Lberry.88 is offline
Find More Posts by Lberry.88
If in doubt, add accelerant
Lberry.88's Avatar
Any release date yet?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
johnkielsen is offline
Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Registered User
Do you see, there is 2 ESC on the brick.

John
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:41 PM
minirips2 is offline
Find More Posts by minirips2
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
I think it's a simple matter of reversing polarity on the wires with each side--you can do the same thing with any of your electric motors--try switching any of your ESC wires to the motor and see what happens...
Right, but as UNGN said, the propshaft retaining nut will have to have different thread to prevent it from loosening itself. The props themselves may have left and right internal threads. The motors will probably be different with different brush orientation, too. This is all too sweet. And quite unexpected.
MR2
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:48 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
I think it's a simple matter of reversing polarity on the wires with each side--you can do the same thing with any of your electric motors--try switching any of your ESC wires to the motor and see what happens...
The problem with doing that is many brushed motors are generally designed to spin one way and will make less power spinning the other direction.

This is why there are right/left motors in the coax helis.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:51 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Right, but as UNGN said, the propshaft retaining nut will have to have different thread to prevent it from loosening itself. The props themselves may have left and right internal threads. The motors will probably be different with different brush orientation, too. This is all too sweet. And quite unexpected.
MR2
You know it. Scratch building stuff just got a little easier.

I was going to build scale nacelles for my Powerfly Mosquito. Not now, since these are only $15 and are the right size.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:52 PM
jpt1205 is offline
Find More Posts by jpt1205
Mayday! Mayday!
jpt1205's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The problem with doing that is many brushed motors are generally designed to spin one way and will make less power spinning the other direction.

This is why there are right/left motors in the coax helis.
You are probably correct and sounds as if you know much more than I do about this--just adding my $.02 (which may not be worth even that much) It would be interesting to know how it works though...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:58 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
With the EFlite P-38 getting really hard to find and the popularity of it it'd be a good bet that the P-38 is on their short list.
The drivetrain in the Mossy opens the door big time to a UM P-38, with counter rotating props and everything.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:11 PM
johnkielsen is offline
Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Registered User
I have just done some thrust measurement of all the 8,4 mm motors, from Kyosho Edge to Bravo SX incl. the Parkzone motors. I use both normal GWS and counter rotating props
same size, they all gave the same thrust, both ways.
John
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:23 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkielsen View Post
I have just done some thrust measurement of all the 8,4 mm motors, from Kyosho Edge to Bravo SX incl. the Parkzone motors. I use both normal GWS and counter rotating props
same size, they all gave the same thrust, both ways.
John

They may when new, but its the long term I'd worry about.

Have you posted the data? That is great stuff.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:36 PM
jpt1205 is offline
Find More Posts by jpt1205
Mayday! Mayday!
jpt1205's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The drivetrain in the Mossy opens the door big time to a UM P-38, with counter rotating props and everything.
The Mossy may be the "test run" to see how this all works once the consumers get their hands on these. Great stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:42 PM
Lberry.88 is offline
Find More Posts by Lberry.88
If in doubt, add accelerant
Lberry.88's Avatar
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:46 PM
jpt1205 is offline
Find More Posts by jpt1205
Mayday! Mayday!
jpt1205's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberry.88 View Post
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
I believe the thinking was that the motors are designed/optimized to turn in one direction...

I don't know either way, so my thought was that each motor might be the same but have reverse polarity relative to the other motor (wired inversely from the motor to the ESC). Again--I'm not versed in these things, so just a thought, which may not have any grain of truth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:48 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lberry.88 View Post
Sorry, what is the theory behind motors only being able to turn one way? Electronically it doesn't matter, nor mechanically.
The brushes are pulled instead of pushed.

They would flip them around in a reverse rotation motor. Some small motors will wear out very quickly when reverse rotated.

On larger brushed motors, the brushes are pushed in radially, so rotation doesn't matter.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New Hobby-Lobby micro P-51 and Spirfire! - direct competitor to Parkzone Ultra Micro? Smokescreen38 Micro Ready-to-Fly 316 Aug 23, 2012 12:51 AM
Discussion Parkzone New Ultra Micro Mosquito Mk VI ChuckTseeker Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Feb 03, 2011 02:22 AM
For Sale parkzone ultra micro J-3 cub BNF trade for micro trojan ED3 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 06, 2010 03:19 AM
Sold Moved to micro section -Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26m Ultra Micro BNF - w/ Lots of new parts major.monogram Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 08, 2010 01:00 AM
Found Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51D BNF (New or like new condition) CGReload Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 09, 2009 02:28 PM