Aug 19, 2017, 09:00 PM
Have fun
Actually there is. The original 3-blade from the original UM corsair/mossie had rounded tips. When they came out with the AS3X corsair they introduced a new 3 blade with pointed tips that is far more efficient and powerful. I believe they also use it in the UMX B-25. I believe they are also using it now on the T-28 with SAFE.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2017, 10:27 PM
Boost rules!
The one with AS3X was the UMX Corsair - not the UM version. The newer 112mm x 90mm 3-blade is the EFLUP112903B.

However - if you're going to switch props, I'd recommend also switching both of the Mossie's motors over to the newer UM pager motor that's used in the UMX T-28 & B-25: EFLU5152. I believe it has more power than the Mossie's motors. Besides, it's not a good idea to reverse the rotation of a pager motor once it's broken-in. The brushes wear-in to favor one direction. Also - if the motor has any timing advance, it won't run properly in reverse. I'm not sure if these UM motors use neutral timing or not.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Aug 19, 2017, 11:26 PM
Slow is the go!
Thanks folks, new motors and the new three bladed props for the Mossi it is!
Aug 19, 2017, 11:49 PM
Boost rules!
I suggest picking up a few high-performance, low-sag UM batts from RCBabbel, as well. The regular UM batts already sag a lot in the stock Mossie. Roger's BabbelBatts will make sure that you don't lose a bunch of power due to saggy batts. See his blog page for battery info. I suggest his Hyp 320 or Hyp 550 1s UM batts: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

Joel
Aug 20, 2017, 12:39 AM
Slow is the go!
I am a convert Joel, have a pair of the 550s run them in my Coastal Command
B17, ideal for long range patrols hunting Uboats out over the North Sea.

Aug 20, 2017, 06:19 AM
oops wrongway
Peter, lovely model. Always look forward to your posts, no matter the thread or subject.
Cheers
Aug 20, 2017, 12:07 PM
Boost rules!
Wow, Peter! Sweet B-17!

Joel
Jun 25, 2018, 03:09 PM
Life Long Modeler
Just got one of these Sat. Looking forward to flying it
Jun 27, 2018, 05:33 PM
love to fly, hate to crash
Got one sitting in the box with only a couple flights and then got put away as I started flying the 2s UMX planes. Going to have to get it out for a couple flights. I had thought if it would at all possible to put the gear from the UMX Shrike into this airframe for even more fun. John
Jun 28, 2018, 06:52 PM
I just want to go fly!
It’s hard to fly 1s after you taste 2s
Jun 29, 2018, 09:21 AM
I have had a LOT of bad luck with the 8.5mm motors. Seems I bought several new that ran at about 20% or didn't run at all. I've replaced motors not at all sure they needed replaced especially after I found the newly replaced ones underperforming. I only recently realized I've stopped flying and even building one-cell planes completely. If I had an indoor venue I might change my mind. That said, I managed to break the carbon wing spar at the wing root a while back and have been thinking about putting the gear in a balsa Mosquito or perhaps Beaufighter or Whirlwind.
Jul 10, 2018, 06:46 AM
Life Long Modeler
I decided to have a little fun last night with my Mossie. Having picked up a few plastic models, I decided that the Mossie needs a couple of flying personnel in side the cockpit. I used two 1/32 pilots from one the plastic models. I rearranged the cockpit seats to close to where they needed to be, shaved off a lot of foam and prepped the cockpit area. I painted the figures, and cut them up to fit their new home. Ill try to post a pic soon of it, but really makes the plane look better IMHO. And the figures might help a little on it being tail heavy by adding some additional weight (a few grams)
Jul 10, 2018, 03:39 PM
My name is Naga
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I have one of these in my hangar but haven't flown it yet. Want my skills to be reliable first. I have several basher that I can fly at the moment that I am not so worried if they get trashed.
Jul 10, 2018, 04:09 PM
Boost rules!
Welcome to the UM Mossie club!

Haven't flown mine in a few years, but it is a fun little plane! Makes a decent video platform as well. With a top-notch, low-sag batt such as a Hyp 240 1s, she carries an 808 cam with authority!

Here's an old onboard clip I shot in my backyard. Note how maneuverable she is (despite the extra weight of the cam) as I zigzag between the trees near the end of the clip:

UM Mosquito - on-board video from the yard #2 (6 min 56 sec)

Here's one from the club field. I also do a few touch & goes in this clip:

UM Mosquito at the field - more on-board video (4 min 51 sec)

Joel
Jul 12, 2018, 04:19 PM
Life Long Modeler
Some pics of the new cockpit. And a little weathering

Quick Reply