Jul 19, 2011, 03:30 AM

new v1.1 S&R rules

Looks like the new S&R rules are out:

http://www.uavoutbackchallenge.com.a...ue2011v1_1.pdf
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2011, 08:33 AM
Mueller Aviation

Revision query

Just double checking, and I don't have my glasses on which I should, but is some of the numbering out in the latest revision?

"Section 5.6, Modified bold text to indicate that flight termination due to loss
of GPS and data link..." - Is this really 5.5.2? and...

"Section 5.5.6, Added note on autopilot self monitoring" - is this really 5.5.5?

It's late so I could be mis-reading.

thanks
Jul 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Looks like most of my questions were included as updates. I take the wording about the fail safe being completely separate to mean the power systems cannot connect as well, which is unfortunate.

Not too happy about the initiation of flight termination being the end all, but if you look at the conditions, there should be no time that it is initiated that you would be able to recover anyway. The UAV would be either too far away, or have crossed the mission boundary line. The lone exception to this is if you have an autopilot lock up within sight of the airfield and the UAV is in autonomous mode, the flight termination would immediately activate and you would have a maximum of 1 second to react before it does so.

Sounds like we are off to the races!!!
Jul 20, 2011, 03:24 AM
MINE!
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi to all and the organizing team,
as the time to registration and D1 runs out I have to ask here if the contact form on the OutbackChallenge Homepage is working and how long it could take to receive an answer?
I sent a question there last week about the possibility for a group to participate in general but no reply yet...

If you got the message please respond to it via the adress given, otherwise is there another direct contact possible?

Cheers

Marc
Marc, I've pm'd you a few days ago, and no reply as yet. Contact me if you still require assistance.

Quote:
...is some of the numbering out in the latest revision?
If some of the format for numbering is slightly out, I'll get that rectified in the next revision, the autoformatting function has obviously has a non-linux moment if that's the case

cheers

Mark
Jul 20, 2011, 05:53 AM
Rogue User
Hi Mark/Mick,

Just wanted to clarify something that one of my team members picked up on in the rules. It states in 5.15 that "Each team must provide EITHER, a ground station... AND a NMEA 0183..." we were just wondering if that "AND" should be an "OR", or if that "EITHER" shouldn't be there.

Thanks.
Jul 20, 2011, 06:26 AM
MINE!
Thread OP
After speaking with the other committee members today, the word 'either' should have been been changed to 'both'.

It should have read:

"Each team must provide both:
- a ground station that includes a graphical display of waypoints and aircraft current location
and
- a NMEA 0183 serial output with GPRMC and GPGGA sentences for aircraft location"

Having said that, with the D1 submission date bearing down upon us and this oversight our responsibility, we have decided not to make the seperate NMEA output component compulsory, but labelling the output component as "desirable".

I'd encourage teams to provide the requested NMEA output if they are capable of doing so.

Cheers

mark
Last edited by Mick Molloy; Jul 21, 2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: update on section 5.15 wording re NMEA code
Jul 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
jkfy,

About 42.... give or take 5....maybe 3....3.5 even.

Dr S
Jul 23, 2011, 06:35 PM
What is the best way for me to submit 2 different UAV setups? 1 rotary and 1 fixed wing.
Do I have to enter 2 teams?
Jul 25, 2011, 03:57 AM
Hey,

For all those who are panicking at the last minute and cannot find the uplink for D1. You need to click on "Enter" do find the email address.

DrS
Jul 25, 2011, 07:03 PM
Suspended Account
For those who are interested in using my GCS, I will be happy to provide a serial output (on the ground station) of NMEA messages in GPGGA and GPRMC format. I will take whatever input you're sending (Atto, Ardu, uBlox, SiRF, etc) and output it in NMEA on the serial port of the PC. There is no mention of where the data has to exist...only that the serial data must exist.
Jul 25, 2011, 08:11 PM
MINE!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazDaddy
What is the best way for me to submit 2 different UAV setups? 1 rotary and 1 fixed wing.
Do I have to enter 2 teams?
Baz, you can only enter one team, please submitted two D1's, one for each airframe. At D2 you will be required to decide on either the fixed wing or rotary wing for the competition.

Mick
Jul 26, 2011, 04:06 AM
Mueller Aviation

High School Airborne Delivery Challenge

Hello
Is it possible, please, to order the high school teams during their mission so that teams from one school aren't following one after the other? Our teams are sharing equipment to keep costs down and it would be beneficial to have a different school in between.

thanks
Jul 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
Registered Crasher

Documentary Challenge

Is there one?
I'm a guessing by it's absence from the website it's been canned.

Cheers!
Jul 26, 2011, 07:37 AM
Okay i just sent my D1!
Jul 26, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yep, sent our in last week.

Quick Reply