Sep 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
Must be hawk season as the hawk at Laguna seemed to be in a mood too.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2011, 12:27 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse
Cool shots Jordan! Did the birdie get your plane?
I tried slowing down for him but it's tough to slow down a 40oz plank ...
Sep 12, 2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak
I tried slowing down for him but it's tough to slow down a 40oz plank ...
The invert helped a little I'm sure, except he probably slowed down too.......lol

40oz? I guess I didn't build my Monarch as heavy as I thought.
Sep 12, 2011, 12:46 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Must be hawk season as the hawk at Laguna seemed to be in a mood too.
The pair of swallows seemed to be pretty fond of the mini-Macchi yesterday. I guess all the other planes just weren't pretty enough for the little guys.
Sep 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
I started my search for a vacuum pump. Found some old units on Craigslist. Then found the pump setup that Keith has.. Yikes that is spendy!
http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=4732

My hunt has just begun. I like the idea of cheap and quiet. Might end up with an old fridge compressor.
Sep 12, 2011, 03:19 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmurrell
The invert helped a little I'm sure, except he probably slowed down too.......lol

40oz? I guess I didn't build my Monarch as heavy as I thought.
lol no the plank in the pics isn't a Monarch it's a Gulp SR it's a 60" span and much heavier...
Sep 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
It's not going to build itself
A pair of crows were chasing my speedo around at Lilly's today.
Sep 12, 2011, 09:33 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!

Thank you Keith!

Keith, thanks for having us over to give us the vacuum bagging lessons. I appreciate your time and effort and willingness to share valuable knowledge. I look forward to trying what we learned on my next model. Thanks to Lars also for bringing food for everyone and his input in the various techniques. I specifically liked his advice about putting the thingy in the thingy folding it over in the other thingy and placing it all in that bag thingy . Top of the World was not bad either. I was going to come over for the fuse layup if it wasn't for my wife who wanted me to go floor and couch shopping instead. Oh well maybe next time. Thanks again.

Fabio
Sep 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring

Yes, Thanks Kieth

Ditto that Fabio;
My head has been spinning thinking of sequence and optional methods. I guess that is how you get to become a Peevyhouse mad scientist!

Started sanding to shape my Aircobra wings... they look good, but remembered I want to bag the M-60 rudder, and then also the feathers of a couple of others.... If I do it all at once I can save a ton... oh wait! I have some other parts that could be finished nicely too!

When will I get time to fly????

What did Lars used to say? "Just do it!" Hey Kieth?

No, this was real great to see and watch the master builder at work.
Got to get me one of those Pizza cutter things.

Oletimer/Jeff
Sep 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Looks like I bought a Gast vacuum pump. Only problem is it is down in Ramona. Don't suppose any of you go down to Sandy Eggo for work? I think the same seller still has 2 more pumps available. hint hint. He is in the glider area classifieds.

Also, Louie (Hawk I) pointed out to me a composites course that is about to start up at Cerrittos College. It starts this Sat. 9/17 from 9am-12pm. Covers vacuum bagging too. $80 for the course. It is a 4 week class. I'm debating taking this class, then going flying at Bluff Park afterwards. Sounds like a good Saturday to me.

-Wayne
Sep 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Those vacuum pumps are a smokin' deal... I'm surprised they're not all sold by now.

Now all you need is a vacuum switch and gauge (if not included with pump), and then just make a PVC reservoir like the one I have.

http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=262
Sep 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!

Lucky you!

I just sank $13,000 on a new floor for my entire house how many pumps and composite supplies (or airplanes) could that buy me? My wife told me to pump up a $3 beach ball and start sucking the air out to create the vacuum That is about all I'll be able to afford after all of this house stuff is done.

Fabio

Who is looking forward to bankruptcy, being homeless, and getting dizzy from sucking beach balls.
Sep 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, I'm toying with different switch and regulator options. See post in the composite section. Probably going to use a small metal tank. They cost about the same as the plastic. Bummer deal is I just threw away an old pancake compressor tank a few months back...

Fabio, you are welcome to borrow mine. Doubt I'll be using it much of the time.
Last edited by Rotozuk; Sep 13, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Sep 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Yea, I got hooked too. Fortunately I already have the same pump as kieth's.
The only thing I will have to get is the switch and gages.
I was working on the wings these last two nights. Should have only been one, but plugged the battery in backwards I guess in an old Futuba Rx and saw the wires smoking and melting the jackets. Ripped them out and franticly started ripping out the battery. But all is well that ends well. got new plug soddered in, re inserted the battery and told my son we can have combat flying lessons.
Rather surprised at his response that he actually wants to learn! He has not done any flying with me at all. Would normally rather just stay home and play international Playstation games. Well OK then! Some new blood for the slope!
his name is Jonathan BTW. Go easy on him at first. then give it to him when he starts to think he's all that and a bag of chips!

Hope I don't turn out a Kieth & Lars situation here. He will fly, and I will get stuck repairing and working on planes.

Hey Fabio... You can come by and work on your unknown planes so you won't get in trouble at home. Just do some of the tough stuff of mine and I won't say a word... not one word!

Oletimer
Sep 13, 2011, 11:51 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Hey Jeff, bring him and your wings down to Misty Ridge sometime for some good combat fun ! Craig's got a wing too so he'll be able to get some smacks in...

Quick Reply