Oct 28, 2020, 10:53 AM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
That's quite a lens you've got there Dave!
Must resist the compensation comment urge.....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2020, 05:25 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Those Sikorsky Sky Cranes are awesome machines.
I grew up a few miles from the Sikorsky factory. Those, and many other cool copters were in the air constantly.

That's quite a lens you've got there Dave!

Stay safe out there guys!
Yeah and they sound awesome. Especially when there are 2 of them working together.

The lens lets me get shots like this so I know how to do my panel lines on the PSS stuff.

and I had to reduce resolution to post this pic on RCgroups , you should see it in full Rez on a 5K monitor

Dave
Oct 28, 2020, 06:04 PM
DWA
DWA
Playing with shutter speed.

Blur the propellers or don’t blur.

The trick is blurring the propellers but keeping the aircraft sharp as a tack at a distance.

Not easy
Oct 28, 2020, 06:17 PM
Everything is broken
Super cool Dave. My aunt worked at the Sikorski factory, an executive secretary of some sort. I walked around and under those things a bunch of times as a kid. She could never get me a ride though.
Love the fully exposed mechanicals on that Skycrane. Some complicated stuff going on there.

Always thought a Skycrane with an Airstream motor home slung underneath would be the ultimate recreational vehicle. Think of the slope trips you could take with that!
Oct 28, 2020, 06:56 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
I recognize where this is, but what is it known as?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj0rHav0c
I had no idea this flying site was around the corner from my house! I bike those trails a few times a week!

Mike
You guys need to come out next time we have big North winds. I have some aerial pictures of Gazebos.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Oct 28, 2020 at 08:20 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 07:05 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Super cool Dave. My aunt worked at the Sikorski factory, an executive secretary of some sort. I walked around and under those things a bunch of times as a kid. She could never get me a ride though.
Love the fully exposed mechanicals on that Skycrane. Some complicated stuff going on there.

Always thought a Skycrane with an Airstream motor home slung underneath would be the ultimate recreational vehicle. Think of the slope trips you could take with that!
Thanks Jim.
Yeah those Sikorskis are awesome. Many years ago I was taking pictures by a fire air operations center at Irvine Lake and the pilot gave me a little tour.

Yeah it would be nice to have one of those to access unreachable slopes around here I know there’s 1 million of them that we can’t get to.

Plus one on the fully exposed mechanics. I was actually wondering what those white Tupperware looking things were. LOL

I have a whole fleet of different helicopters and aircraft I’ve taken pictures of. Maybe I will post some of those pictures later when I get some time.

Dave
Oct 28, 2020, 10:45 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Cool shots Dave, we're turning the corner on the fire and it's all but put to bed right now. I was in Portola hills both days. The fixed wing P3 was just put back into service this year after being out of contract for quite a few years.
Latest blog entry: Pics
Oct 29, 2020, 07:44 AM
Everything is broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
You
I have some aerial pictures of Gazebos.

Dave
What was that before it became a slope flyer's playground? Underground water tank? Missile site?
Looks like some fun mt. biking there.

- Jim
(stuck at home, miserable weather all week, binging on RCG
should be building!)
Oct 29, 2020, 08:21 AM
It's not going to build itself
Thanks for doing the job Jeremy!! Know that you helped keep my Mother in law’s house safe.
She is ready to go home, after staying with us a few days.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:26 AM
Jim, there may have been a water tank up there at one time. About three of the neighboring hilltops used to have wooden Gazebos on them, hence the name. The Gazebos have all rotted away over the years though.
Great pics Dave! You can see how the N. , East, and even the NE winds come up the face and make lift for us in that second pic. That lower bowl shows why you can fly the point in NE winds and why the sweet spot is a little further out .
Last edited by TRISME; Oct 29, 2020 at 10:40 AM.
Oct 29, 2020, 03:04 PM
Old newb
Address?

I drive by a few times a month but am clueless about getting there.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:04 PM
Take Golden Lantern and turn east on Serenity, It's a small street. Follow it all the way to the end where there is a cul-de-sac. Take trail on right around hill to top. It's a buried water tank. Only works if wind is North to East.

Ron
Oct 29, 2020, 05:52 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Address?

I drive by a few times a month but am clueless about getting there.
2 Knob Hill
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
Oct 29, 2020, 05:54 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro
Cool shots Dave, we're turning the corner on the fire and it's all but put to bed right now. I was in Portola hills both days. The fixed wing P3 was just put back into service this year after being out of contract for quite a few years.
Good to hear it Jeremy. Yeah there’s no smoke it looks like the fires mostly out.

You know where I live you’ve been here before to my house. Feel free to drop by for a cold drink if you’re in the neighborhood again.
Thanks to you and your coworkers for all the hard work and dangerous work. You know we love and appreciate you guys!

Dave
Oct 29, 2020, 07:33 PM
Like Ron said, turn on Serenity and follow it to the end. As the street curves, it changes names to Knob Hill. In the aerial picture you can see Dave's Red truck. That is where I usually park. The guy who lives in the house with the Red roof is pretty friendly. Fabio and I chatted with him for 1/2 hr. before. Be respectful of the neighbors, get your stuff ready and go. I've heard of some neighbor claiming that the trails are for residents only. I've never run into any such thing personally, and I've been flying there for some time. Be a friendly ambassador of slope flying if you meet anyone.
Tom

Quick Reply