May 25, 2019, 01:36 AM
Cheer up Dave.
It'll be fine.
There are guys who (slope) fly from their wheelchair cuz they can't walk at all.
Things could always be worse.
Have fun!!!
Break a ............. opps sorry.
Hope ya heal soon!
In a couple weeks I'll take ya to Horse Canyon.
One of these days I'll get or make myself a PSS ship and go there too.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2019, 02:34 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Thanks but , Iím not sad. Just talking too much. Maybe Iím a little punchdrunk. The problem is Iím not getting hardly any sleep because thereís absolutely no way to get comfortable!
And the couple of nights that I tried taking sleeping medicine didnít go too well. I woke up in a lot more pain and the knee swelled up a lot more because I slept on it wrong. And even then I still didnít get a full nights sleep.
So Iím pretty much just tossing and turning all night trying to find a comfortable position that doesnít exist.
And getting cramps in my calf, those suck!

But I donít want to seem like Iím complaining just explaining whatís happening. And yeah good point, I suppose there are ways to fly no matter what and I know there are people that do have it pretty bad and still fly. ( even in a wheelchair with help fome friends. ) So yeah iím just rambling on. Never mind me.

Dave
May 25, 2019, 10:33 AM
EDIT;

Complaining to us is ok. That's what friends are for, to vent during bad times. Plus it lets others know what going on w/ you so we can help ya out at the slope or with suggestions.

You might have to try sleeping w/ a lighter knee brace on, like just the slip on type vs the hinged one, to give your knee some support so you don't hurt it being in a bad position while you're sleeping, which you wouldn't know you are doing, cuz you're sleeping.

Also, sounds like you need some pain meds, CBD pain balm cream, or MJ, at least to sleep w/o pain til it starts to heal properly.

My wife who has bad lower back pain has used the CBD pain balm cream. It's expensive but she says it's the only thing she has found that works well. You can do a search for free samples like she did. Just read the fine print so that the card you use to pay for shipping doesn't get charged more later.

For muscle cramps; magnesium supplement and bananas.
Last edited by fly2bob; May 25, 2019 at 12:30 PM.
May 25, 2019, 10:42 AM
taste the high speed dirt
I know a guy that flies "go fast" nitro pylon racers at ballistic speeds....he only has his left arm....and he uses his nub to fly with.....amazing!
May 25, 2019, 01:37 PM
Makin' future-scrap
That is Eric. He is fast and flies at the Basin in the 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrttmyers
I know a guy that flies "go fast" nitro pylon racers at ballistic speeds....he only has his left arm....and he uses his nub to fly with.....amazing!
May 25, 2019, 01:43 PM
taste the high speed dirt
Yep that's him......he is an awesome pilot
May 25, 2019, 03:03 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
if Iím lucky enough to live to a ripe old age my slope life will end before my actual life.
Nah Dave, you just go to Bluff Park!

Not putting down Bluff Park at all....if I lived anywhere near a slope like that I'd be there every day!

Hang in there, you'll heal up Dave, or a surgeon will fix you!
Hope you're having fun up at Cajon! I'm washing windows and putting the screens in
May 25, 2019, 08:43 PM
Hey Dave---put another pillow under your knee and sleep on your back. That keeps it elevated above your heart and will help with both the pain and the swelling. I also went to bed with ice wraps on my knees when I was having trouble with them after knee replacements! FWIW
May 25, 2019, 09:52 PM
DWA
DWA
Thanks so much guys for the advice and the encouragement! I appreciate it!

That is amazing about Eric and his skill.
I am nowhere near his level of incredibleness!
Wow!

I had a really great day Cajon. So glad I decided to go.
I just posted my thoughts and my experience of the day in the PSS thread.
Home now.
I didn’t go to the dinner that they always have on Sat night. Knee was just a little too uncomfortable.

Dave
May 25, 2019, 11:36 PM
It's not going to build itself
It was a great day of flying at Cajon today!
May 27, 2019, 01:57 PM
Anyone flying tomorrow?
May 27, 2019, 09:15 PM
DWA
DWA
I just read in the AMA Model Aviation magazine. That Dave Garwood is retiring. This months issue has his final column.
Bummer, but I understand he’s been doing it for a long time. I have been reading his Slope column for many years. I remember meeting him at the 2006 PSS Fest. He took some pictures of me at that fest and a couple of them made it into the magazine. I remember him coming up to me and asking me “hey do you know how to fly for the camera? “
I said “no” and he gave me a quick lesson.
I think I also met him at Lilly back in the day. But that memory is foggy and I’m not sure. Maybe 1996 or so.
He was a super good guy. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Here is one of the pictures he took of me. That year we did one day at Cajon and the next day we moved to Little Mountain because the wind was not so good at Cajon. This picture was at Little Mountain. I wish I had the full resolution version.

Happy Trails to you Mr. Dave Garwood
Last edited by DWA; May 27, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
May 27, 2019, 09:20 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaReef123
Anyone flying tomorrow?
Wish I could
May 28, 2019, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
I just read in the AMA Model Aviation magazine. That Dave Garwood is retiring. This months issue has his final column.
Bummer, but I understand heís been doing it for a long time. I have been reading his Slope column for many years. I remember meeting him at the 2006 PSS Fest. He took some pictures of me at that fest and a couple of them made it into the magazine. I remember him coming up to me and asking me ďhey do you know how to fly for the camera? ď
I said ďnoĒ and he gave me a quick lesson.
I think I also met him at Lilly back in the day. But that memory is foggy and Iím not sure. Maybe 1996 or so.
He was a super good guy. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Here is one of the pictures he took of me. That year we did one day at Cajon and the next day we moved to Little Mountain because the wind was not so good at Cajon. This picture was at Little Mountain. I wish I had the full resolution version.

Happy Trails to you Mr. Dave Garwood
Nice old photo there Dave.

Almost like Katies

um...........but she was much prettier
May 28, 2019, 02:06 PM
It's not going to build itself
Are you saying Daveís not pretty?

Quick Reply