Nov 14, 2011, 02:34 AM
EPP Extrordinare
owning a hybrid definetly helps
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Guess what I'm almost done painting? It's Lars' SOS 42!

I decided to go with the Mark Rebeck scheme, with some subtle differences. I can't wait to get the clear coat on her, and then get it nice and polished. I sure hope the clear doesn't react with the base colors and cause some crinkling. That's happened before.

-Keith
Nov 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
great looking bird!
Nov 14, 2011, 04:27 PM
Thread OP
Nice!
Nov 14, 2011, 04:27 PM
It was a radio hit...I swear!
Very nice Keith! Yeah the clear coat and paint is always a leap of faith. I find that letting the paint dry for a while and then using a matte instead of a high gloss gives me better results as far as not crinkling and as far as unwanted runs. I'll be keeping the fingers crossed
Nov 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
anybody ever fly back bay in newport recently?
i thought access was difficult but its not
monster bowl supporting S,SE and a bit of east
gotta try it soon
steeg
Nov 14, 2011, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Sorry, have not flown Back Bay for a very long time.
Nov 14, 2011, 09:53 PM
It's not going to build itself
I flew it about a year ago. I went in by the church and parked past the daycare center, walked the path to the bowl. It was almost from the East when I flew. You can't stand close to the edge anymore, that was a bit dicey. Even on a marginal day it was fun.
Tom
Nov 14, 2011, 09:54 PM
Great work as always Keith!
Nov 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post

I decided to go with the Mark Rebeck scheme, with some subtle differences. I can't wait to get the clear coat on her, and then get it nice and polished. I sure hope the clear doesn't react with the base colors and cause some crinkling. That's happened before.

-Keith
Awesome Keith!!!! I am honored that you chose my brother's design. Your interpretation looks great. I'm sure he would be proud of you!!!
Nov 14, 2011, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeg View Post
anybody ever fly back bay in newport recently?
i thought access was difficult but its not
monster bowl supporting S,SE and a bit of east
gotta try it soon
steeg
I haven't flown the Back Bay since I was a kid

How do you get to the site now?
Nov 14, 2011, 11:02 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring

Sos

Very nice Kieth... as always! Lars will be the envy of the hill!
With all the work you have in her... I would paint a stick with the same paint and do a test swatch! if the clear coat is hoter then the paint, you will get that melting or buckeling effect. I am no expert, but have found if you do a very light first & maybe 2nd coat, it can be fine even if it is hotter! once the clear has covered the paint, you are safe to put a heavy coat on without any danger.
Nov 14, 2011, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely View Post
I haven't flown the Back Bay since I was a kid

How do you get to the site now?
Hi Chip,
I came in from Dover and turned right at E.16th St. I made the first right and went into the parking lot. I went to the end of the lot by the trailhead. It's not too long of a hike.
Digging my Contender! I can't wait to fly it in some big wind.
Tom
Last edited by TRISME; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
Nov 14, 2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the .kmz Tom,

...your Contender is gonna love carving up Big Air,...don't forget the video
Nov 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post

-Keith
Call Johnny dent, he is a dent mechanic and has been painting cars for 15 years he put a four step paint (Maserati red) job on my swing Schwinn cruiser, the last step was the clear...duh. Oh well you know what I mean. he would be glad to steer you in the right direction. His number is 493 DENT. He has been out of commission due to surgery but he is up and about now and would be glad to help.

Quick Reply