Jun 13, 2021, 10:13 AM
It's not going to build itself
I think that last video was shot in October.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2021, 10:17 AM

Salt Creek?

Had a nice time flying my Alula at Salt Creek on Sat. Yes that's right Salt Creek right along the path above the beach nice smooth air wind was light 5-7mph out of the west . Very nice grass green belt for landings with no rotor to speak of. I miss flying at the main cliff face but this was very nice. Gary
Jun 13, 2021, 10:51 AM
Banos event used to be very big. But timing is the issue Summer way to hot. Big scale ships and aerotow were a highlight
Latest blog entry: Twist Photos
Jun 13, 2021, 11:51 AM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
The "OC Crew" should organize a flying weekend at Banos!! It's TOO hot now --but late Sept or October could be a good time frame for a "Slope safari" to Los Banos!! As most of you know --it's a GREAT flying venue!! And the park is open again--- I'd be happy to join you for some stick time there too!!
I have been looking for an excuse to fly my 4M Discus 2 from the slope....

R,
Target
Jun 13, 2021, 04:59 PM
I flew two of my scalies there, The first weekend in May. Fun time for sure!
Jun 14, 2021, 10:40 PM
Where did THAT PLANE go?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
The "OC Crew" should organize a flying weekend at Banos!! It's TOO hot now --but late Sept or October could be a good time frame for a "Slope safari" to Los Banos!! As most of you know --it's a GREAT flying venue!! And the park is open again--- I'd be happy to join you for some stick time there too!!
I am totally "in" for a Banos trip. Just let me know when!
Jun 15, 2021, 07:13 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Yep, I highly recommend the Conscendo Evolution. Especially on 4s and max out throws and put about 1 ounce in the tail.

And I love Banos, " in" for a trip after summer.

Dave
Jun 15, 2021, 07:26 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achi
Where is that spot? Looks beautiful!
I have a bunch of videos at Banos on my you tube channel.

Here is one of them shot just a little over a month ago.

Wizard Maiden (3 min 20 sec)
Jun 16, 2021, 07:23 PM
The conditions were really good for my Riser at Water Tanks this afternoon. The wind was light in the 5 to 10 mph range, but there was a combination of fog on the ocean and heat coming off the red tile roofs that still generated a good amount of lift. One flight, I was airborne for almost 2 hours straight.

Today was exactly the type of day I had in mind when I built the Riser. I should write a book: Zen and the Art of Light-Air Soaring.

Gary joined me briefly with his Eagle. He had the crows out chasing it. It was awesome!
Last edited by danapoint; Jun 16, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Jun 16, 2021, 07:56 PM
Sounds like you had a great day!
Jun 17, 2021, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
Sounds like you had a great day!
I did! Thank you!

Today was also a good day for my Riser at Water Tanks. Although, the window of good conditions was a lot smaller. I had one hour-long flight between 3pm and 4pm before the lift gave out.

Is there any way we can get a nice grass landing zone at Water Tanks? It is a little dicey bringing in a R/E balsa bird into the bushes.
Jun 17, 2021, 07:12 PM
The pointed sticks at water tank, are pretty unforgiving.
Jun 18, 2021, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside
Return to Glider Point Update!
Spent 3 hours walking the hill. But no luck finding my downed sailplane. Talk about the walk of shame! I have had to do it now two weeks in a row. I will chalk it up as a bad day, or maybe just inexperience. In the mean time I order and now have received an electric foamy. The Conscendo. I got it set up and may fly it tomorrow Sunday. Although the electric is not my goal it should give me the confidence I need right now as I am getting back into RC.
Hyside
Hyside, an electric assist is a great idea to help you get out of sticky situations while you regain your slope flying skills. However, I see you have been to Glider Point a few times, please dont fly your new electric glider there. We almost lost Glider Point because of drone and electric aircraft. Jeremy did a great job getting the site back for non powered gliders only. Here is piece of the new ordnance.
"An exception to this order is the operation of unpowered remote controlled gliders and sailplanes containing no thrust producing mechanisms, providing forward thrust, aiding in flight of the aircraft flown directly over the area, to the South and along the west ridge of Glider Point. Gliders and Sailplanes flown shall not be equipped with any camera or other still image, video, or sound recording devices. Glider and sailplane operators shall fully comply with all applicable FAA regulations in regards to model aircraft operation. "
Glad you are getting back into this great hobby, hope to see you at Glider Point or Kite Hill.
Ben
Jun 19, 2021, 03:33 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf
Hyside, an electric assist is a great idea to help you get out of sticky situations while you regain your slope flying skills. However, I see you have been to Glider Point a few times, please dont fly your new electric glider there. We almost lost Glider Point because of drone and electric aircraft. Jeremy did a great job getting the site back for non powered gliders only. Here is piece of the new ordnance.
"An exception to this order is the operation of unpowered remote controlled gliders and sailplanes containing no thrust producing mechanisms, providing forward thrust, aiding in flight of the aircraft flown directly over the area, to the South and along the west ridge of Glider Point. Gliders and Sailplanes flown shall not be equipped with any camera or other still image, video, or sound recording devices. Glider and sailplane operators shall fully comply with all applicable FAA regulations in regards to model aircraft operation. "
Glad you are getting back into this great hobby, hope to see you at Glider Point or Kite Hill.
Ben
I guess the precludes the old rubber band around the propeller too......

I remember that place from my youth, too many decades ago.
Jun 19, 2021, 07:48 PM

Water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by danapoint
The conditions were really good for my Riser at Water Tanks this afternoon. The wind was light in the 5 to 10 mph range, but there was a combination of fog on the ocean and heat coming off the red tile roofs that still generated a good amount of lift. One flight, I was airborne for almost 2 hours straight.

Today was exactly the type of day I had in mind when I built the Riser. I should write a book: Zen and the Art of Light-Air Soaring.

Gary joined me briefly with his Eagle. He had the crows out chasing it. It was awesome!
Hey Brett, really fun flying with you today! Your Sig riser was truly flying beautiful and very Zen like. I watched you fly for an hour before I drove up the hill. Also saw you flying the following day. Yeah those pesky crow loved chasing the "hawk" lol.

Quick Reply