View Poll Results: Where are you putting the motor for your Zephyr build?
As far forward to the LE as possible (at internal spar) 25 30.12%
Somewhere in-between the TE and the internal spar 22 26.51%
As far back towards the TE as possible 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 05, 2011, 12:07 AM
In following your link for the Diversity 2400 it's showing that it might not be manufactured anymore?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnoT
In following your link for the Diversity 2400 it's showing that it might not be manufactured anymore?
I am not sure what the exact status of the ImmersionRC 2.4 diversity video RX unit is. I do know that they've been sold out for a while at all of their retailers. ImmersionRC may also be updating this unit soon. I am certain that ImmersionRC will continue to offer a 2.4 video RX as it's a very popular video frequency. I'll post additional infos if I can find out any other details.
Mar 07, 2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson
Great to see that 28 Zephyr builders answered the poll already. Interesting to see that about half of all builders are putting their motor right on the spar and the other half at the TE. Only a few (3) put the motor somewhere in-between the Spar and TE. When I posted this poll, I though only a small number of builders would put the motor at the TE -- good to see that's not the case as that's where I put my motor (using 2 3300mah batts)!
How does the location of the motor effect the flight characteristics of the Zephyr?

Instinctively I feel the further in-board (i.e. closer to the spar) you place the motor, the more stable and less nose/tail ‘tippy’ the Zypher will be, but is this true?
Mar 07, 2011, 09:45 AM
Mum is the word!
No that is not correct, the zeph will be more stable if you can leave the center chord as long as possible,but the issue is if you are not using a big go pro then you will need to get the motor as far forward as possible to help hit the cg.

Cg location is the what will make it stable and not flippy and tip stally, a longer center chord will compliment it.

So what we try to do is if using a go pro we put the motor more aft to help counter the go pro's extra added weight.

Thinking that the motor being farther forward and cg being dead on is more stable than the motor being far back and cg being dead on is wrong.

The zeph flys very stable by design ,but if you want long range ,higher speed and a heavier setup ,then it will benefit from a long center chord.

With the optional spar holes I help you guys to have the option for heavier and lighter setups by adjusting where you set the motor.

If you are going with go pro use the rear and center hole,if you are not going go pro the go with center and front spar hole.

With the heavier setups they will be faster and more stable,with lighter setups the will be bummped by winds a little more and are not usually as fast, so the flight mite be a little less stable and more of a bouncy flight in windy conditions.

Trap has a nice setup with2 4s 3300's and a go pro, this allows the motor to be way aft to help counter the bats and cams without adding a bunch of nose weight, this is alo a nice weight for super stability.

What you dont want to do is to put the motor way aft and use a light less powerful 3s setup with no go pro, what will happen is you will have super hard time hitting the cg and it will be very heavy and under powered by the time you add enough ballast trying to do so.

Ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson
How does the location of the motor effect the flight characteristics of the Zephyr?

Instinctively I feel the further in-board (i.e. closer to the spar) you place the motor, the more stable and less nose/tail ‘tippy’ the Zypher will be, but is this true?
Last edited by klique; Mar 07, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Mar 07, 2011, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
No that is not correct, the zeph will be more stable if you can leave the center chord as long as possible,but the issue is if you are not using a big go pro then you will need to get the motor as far forward as possible to help hit the cg.

So what we try to do is if using a go pro we put the motor more aft to help counter the go pro's extra added weight.

Thinking that the motor being farther forward and cg being dead on is more stable than the motor being far back and cg being dead on is wrong.

The zeph flys very stable by design ,but if you want long range ,higher speed and a heavier setup ,then it will benefit from a long center chord.

With the optional spar holes I help you guys to have the option for heavier and lighter setups buy adjusting where you set the motor.

If you are going with go pro use the rear and center hole,if you are not going go pro the go with center and front spar hole.

Ck
That's great - many thanks for your clarification
Mar 07, 2011, 10:45 AM
Nice explanation and it makes some of your videos, on youtube, a little more clearer for me as you were building that particular wing super light.

I was looking at Trappy's build and some shots on his site and the motor, for his setup, is slap dab on the TE of the wing. I plan on going that route for my first zephr build as I plan on using the same lipos and a go pro.
Mar 07, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Nice explanation and it makes some of your videos, on youtube, a little more clearer for me as you were building that particular wing super light.

I was looking at Trappy's build and some shots on his site and the motor, for his setup, is slap dab on the TE of the wing. I plan on going that route for my first zephr build as I plan on using the same lipos and a go pro.
PnoT -- if you take a look at the poll above, you'll see that a majority of builders are now putting the motor at the TE, but you have to keep what Chris said in mind. Motor placement is a result of other considerations and you can't do it without considering the sum of all parts.
Mar 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Mum is the word!
Yes Tim you are dead on buddy .
Mar 07, 2011, 02:41 PM
I've been looking around for a diversity 2.4 and sander said they're not making them anymore and it'll be, at the earliest, the end of the month before the new model comes out.

A few people recommended the eagle tree setup but i've heard some mixed results. Have you any experience with the product?
Mar 07, 2011, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've been looking around for a diversity 2.4 and sander said they're not making them anymore and it'll be, at the earliest, the end of the month before the new model comes out.

A few people recommended the eagle tree setup but i've heard some mixed results. Have you any experience with the product?
No. I personally use ImmersionRC gear for all components on my Zephyr and in my ground station -- Duo5800 video RX, 600Mw 5.8 Video TX, PowerBox, Antenna Tracker, EzOSD.
Mar 08, 2011, 04:31 PM
Azerbaijan FPV
Hi all

for Hacker A30-10L motor this is okey ?

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artikel/44084

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artikel/39504

shaft diametr is 5mm
Mar 08, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexstarselect
Hi all

for Hacker A30-10L motor this is okey ?

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artikel/44084

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artikel/39504

shaft diametr is 5mm
Yes, the middle piece with 40mm/5mm is fine for the A30-10L. You don't really need a spinner... as you are installing a pusher prop and you also don't have a fuselage cowl that you want the wind to glide over instead of into the motor compartment.
Mar 09, 2011, 01:40 AM
Azerbaijan FPV
ok Mr i don`t buy spinner Thanks
Mar 09, 2011, 02:41 AM
Azerbaijan FPV
and i ordered aeronut 10x6 proppeler how many amp full throttle ? or 9x5 can give me more flight time? Thanks
Mar 09, 2011, 06:36 AM
Azerbaijan FPV
and How abaut this motor mount http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...or_mounts.html

500-600 Size Motor Mount
Heavy duty 500-600 size motor mount
Part No: 70200

Aliminum is out of stock

for Paint witch of them best selection ?
Last edited by nexstarselect; Mar 09, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply