This thread is privately moderated by s_mack, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 29, 2011, 01:17 PM
Registered Loser
Thread OP
Discussion

New Rev 2.1 are almost here.

Just an update for the few minor changes in the Rev 2.1 boards that have now arrived and are almost ready to ship (waiting on the USB headers to get here):
  1. The overall layout of components is different, so take caution when referencing pictrures of different revisions. However, the markings ("R1, C2, etc") are consistent.
  2. I've changed the USB and EL light connectors. They are significantly different so EL panels and USB cables between revisions are not compatible.
  3. Of course, all fixes necessary on previous revisions are included in the design (hopefully it is now bug free! But we'll see)
  4. I've added two rather large pads for +5v and GND to give a convenient soldering point for... whatever. I've also put little triangle (+5v) and circle (GND) icons on the board to help identify them readily.
  5. I've changed the Thumbs UP graphic to a couple of important folks. 2000 points to whoever can identify them! Admittedly, once printed on the boards they aren't really clear.

Attached is a first look!

- Steven
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2011, 01:21 PM
Wright bros?
Jan 29, 2011, 01:23 PM
Member FPV UK

rev 2.1

Looking forward to it arriving.
Jan 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
Awesome

Who does your boards?
Jan 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
Registered Loser
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial
Wright bros?
It was supposed to take longer than that!

Congrats, you win 2000 points. Here you go:
Quote:
.................................................. ..................................................
.................................................. ..................................................
Count them if you wish... they should all be there.

- Steven
Jan 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
Registered Loser
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazz
Awesome

Who does your boards?
I've had good luck on low-priced simple boards using Gold Phoenix, but for this project I gave pcbcart.com a try and I've been impressed. By far the least expensive boards I've ever bought, and nowhere near the worst quality. In fact, when I compare it to my cruise control boards - which were done in the USA and cost over 10x as much - its really hard to find a fault.

- Steven
Jan 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
What's the purpose of the little snap-off sub board above the connectors? Is it a standalone EL driver that you piggybacked on the 9x programming board?
Jan 31, 2011, 05:16 PM
Registered Loser
Thread OP
No, the one shown there that's still attached is the USB mini-board. I solder 4 wires to the holes, solder the USB header onto the pads and the other end is the lower connector/cable you see in the picture.

If you look closely though, you'll see four other snap off "bites"... THOSE were the standalone EL drivers that were piggybacked on the design. I did it that way for a more efficient PCB manufacturing process.

- Steven
Feb 12, 2011, 02:09 AM
Registered Loser
Thread OP
I finally got round to putting installation instructions for my boards on my website: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...page=page&id=9

- Steven

Quick Reply