Jan 28, 2011, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lawmate PV500 DVRs. 129 / 169E / $199 with free DHL tracked shipping!

I've managed to acquire a handful of brand-new/boxed Lawmate PV500 DVRs.

It's hard to find a more suited DVR for FPV. The Lawmate PV500 has a rechargeable battery and TFT display, great video bit-rate (4Mbs) and records through static. It is also TINY and very light-weight. With battery removed it weighs only 67g (2.4oz) and if powered from a 5V BEC makes a good candidate for on-board recording too! As with all Lawmate gear, the build quality is impressive and the PV500 comes highly respected within the FPV fraternity.

The units I have are identical to that detailed below, where specs, sample video footage and a PDF manual can be found.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....4e1282c8247c9f

An untouched 25MB .AVI file taken straight from the PV500 can be downloaded from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/267254/PV500.AVI

These PV500's are from a firm who planned releasing a rugged/waterproof variant of the product for 'extreme sports'. Due to manufacturing delays however, they missed the market opportunity as everyone has now gone HD! These units are actually branded as VX360, but can be re-flashed with the latest Lawmate PV500 firmware (F101 LM100 v3.2) if desired. It takes just 3 minutes and if requested I will do this before dispatch.

What you get is…
  • SDHC compatible Lawmate PV500 (16GB card support)
  • 3.7V Li-ion 1200mAh battery
  • IR remote control unit with battery included
  • AV out cable (RCA connections)
  • USB cable
  • Stereo earphones
  • Wall charger with US, European & UK compatibility
The only item not included is a Video IN cable (as these units were intended to be paired with a tiny CCD camera). Video IN on the PV500 is simply a 2.5mm jack-socket wired as below, so making a cable is easy!

-- A/V In (from tip to base) --
  1. +5VDC OUT (can be used to power a camera)
  2. Video IN Signal
  3. Ground
  4. Audio IN Signal
Payable via PayPal only. This includes free international 'recorded' delivery regardless of where you live! You will be emailed a tracking number.

If you would like one, or have any queries, please PM me quick.
Last edited by Ian Davidson; Jan 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
Thou who know not
Quick can someone loan me $200?
Nice deal for those with cash in hand! But terrible timing for me.
Jan 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
Questionable judgement
Where can I find lawmate firmware? I use a PV-1000 and would love to make sure it's running the latest.
Jan 28, 2011, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72
Where can I find lawmate firmware? I use a PV-1000 and would love to make sure it's running the latest.
Lawmate PV1000 firmware (09/09/10) appears to be downloadable from here...

http://www.lawmate.com.au/product.php?id=28
Jan 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
Falling with style
I have downloaded the raw files and my player says its 673kbps only. Are you sure you recorded your sample at the highest quality?

Thanks
Jan 28, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
I have downloaded the raw files and my player says its 673kbps only. Are you sure you recorded your sample at the highest quality?

Thanks
Are you sure there's not a bits/bytes translation error here? The bit rate varies depending on frame contact/activity, but the test I quickly recorded is 25MB and 60 seconds long, which gives an 'average' of 416kBps, or 3.33Mbps.
Jan 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Falling with style
Thats correct Ian, I thought that recorder was able to do 4mbytes/sec which would have been awesome! I am not that impressed with the sample quality.
Jan 28, 2011, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
Thats correct Ian, I thought that recorder was able to do 4mbytes/sec which would have been awesome! I am not that impressed with the sample quality.
To the best of my knowledge no recorder (or video codec) records at a constant bit rate, because as detailed the bit-rate varies depending on the activity of what's being recorded.

If there is little inter-frame change, then the bit rate will be low. If there is relentlessly fast inter-frame change, then it will resort to a near constant 4mbits/s.

4MByte/s = 32Mbit/s, which is unrealistic. That's only a fraction less than the 40Mbit/s used by full 1920x1080 Blue-ray.
Jan 28, 2011, 07:21 PM
Falling with style
This is still a good deal! thanks for offering.
Jan 28, 2011, 07:33 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Do you have any flying video samples?
Jan 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
Firstly, recording any TV show of talking heads is a best case scenario for
video compression so it should come out very low bitrate, and very good quality. The
only way to get a good idea of how it'll handle FPV content in terms of bitrate and
quality is to feed it real FPV video which is high detail, high motion, lots of
panning, tilting, shaking, etc..

Something about that "raw" sample AVI doesn't add up.
It's showing as [email protected], and it stutters badly in VLC, and appears to have
pretty heavy compression artifacts (look at the blockiness in faces).

The current specs for Lawmate PV-500EVO and ECO are pretty much on
par with the PV-1000, but they do not include a [email protected] mode, and
they produce ASF files not AVI files. The highest quality recording modes
on the PV-1000 produce files *over* 9Mbit/s. I'm wondering if this
possibly older PV-500 is really a totally different recorder internally, because otherwise
I don't see any way this sample AVI could have come from a PV-500.

ian
Jan 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
Thread OP
I can ensure you this *is* a PV500 and the .AVI was taken straight from the unit. I only have a single cheap SDHC card at the moment and will not be in a position to do any flying for a couple of weeks, but if there are any suggestions of any other material people would like me to record, please say.
Jan 28, 2011, 09:34 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Well, as Daemon has done in the past, testing the quality of his recorders, you could try recording a high action movie sequence. Car chase, fighting, etc. That should put the recorder to the test. Or at least more than the above video anyway.
Jan 29, 2011, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
Well, as Daemon has done in the past, testing the quality of his recorders, you could try recording a high action movie sequence. Car chase, fighting, etc. That should put the recorder to the test. Or at least more than the above video anyway.
I'll endeavour to do this today. Wimbledon hasn't started yet in the UK, but I'm sure I can find something else with decent action to record off my Sky box.

That said, ALL the Lawmate PV500 DVR's attributes (good bit-rate, TINY size and weight, integrated battery and TFT, SDHC support) should be considered, which is why this DVR so particularly suited to FPV.
Jan 29, 2011, 03:29 AM
All I'll say at this point is the PV-500's you have, apparently have virtually
no relationship to the newer PV-500 ECO and PV-500 EVO which by the specs have
all the capabilities of the PV-1000 minus the harddrive. The highest quality setting
and bitrate comparison aren't even in the same league.

BTW, when looking for "action" scenes on TV, a tennis match won't cut it.
TV shows and movies, purposely avoid moving the camera as much as possible.
Even "fast action" is usually simulated with either a relatively fixed, or low
detail background with a small fast moving foreground, or the detailed foreground is
relatively still in frame, while the background conveys speed with blur, but carries
no real information. FPV video breaks all the rules. High detail everywhere,
everything in focus, high movement with panning, tilting, scrolling, zooming
(moving forward) and rotating, and sometimes all at once with different parts of the
frame moving at different speeds and directions.
I chose the DVD scenes I did (Mad Max finale) because 1. it was standard 4:3 ratio
filling the whole screen and 2. it has a scene with the camera mounted
on the front of the front bumper with road and trees scrolling past. At low
bitrates, the road turns to a blur. Was about the closest thing to FPV I could find.

ian

Quick Reply