Jun 26, 2011, 12:24 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Thanks. It turns pretty nice. Gyro and all. The two motors are just like the rotors on the mcx, so gyro dosn't know the difference. The rudder on the tx works both motors and the aileron works the rudder. I love it. But, it just dawned on me that the gyro is not correcting yaw. It is not mounted verticlly like on the copter. It is correcting roll instead of yaw. Still, it works. Lee
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2011, 10:52 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Thread OP
Nice mod. what motors did you use? Are you sure its gyro roll axis? that would mean the gyro is on the ailerons. Any way, nice work. I have been known to build some ugly planes as well
Jul 05, 2011, 06:10 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Looks good Lee
Jul 06, 2011, 05:40 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
It worked Ryan. Thanks. Was a fun experiment.
Jul 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Modfly, was it me who sold you the brick with the faulty servo? If so I apologise and could you get in touch so I can refund you some money. Sold several of these a year or so ago and can't remember who they went to.
Jul 07, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel
Modfly, was it me who sold you the brick with the faulty servo? If so I apologise and could you get in touch so I can refund you some money. Sold several of these a year or so ago and can't remember who they went to.
Don't worry about it I fixed the servo. There was a bur on the main gear and I saw it under magnification and corrected the problem with an exacto knife and it works fine now.

I will post some pics of my repaired SS with the brick in question. The first flight with the new brick was a failure due to the yaw axis being too touchy. I will program some limits to the yaw channel and try again soon.
Jul 07, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin

Turn down gyro gain on Nine Eagles/Revell/etc. coax

Not quite a MCX, but Nine Eagles makes similar sized coaxes (Solo, Bravo III, Revell Proto Cx, etc.).
One thing that the Nine Eagles board has is sub-trim: rudder, aileron and elevator sub-trim work straight forwardly.
"Sub-trim" on the throttle channel on the other hand actually adjusts the gyro gain.

So the question I have is if anybody has tried to lower the gyro gain to the minimum and then use the board to build a plane?
This could avoid the need for the "irreversible" operation of prying the gyro top off.

Some background: subtrim adjustment is described under

Q 1 and Q 2 of "Trim Issues:" in post 1 of
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1378250
Nine Eagles Solo/BravoIII/Draco FAQ (also for rebranded ones like Revell ProtoCX etc)

also information in

Q 2 and Q 3 of "Trim Issues:" in post 2 of
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1337008
Nine Eagles Solo Pro/Bravo SX FAQ (Also valid for rebrands like Revell Proto Max etc)
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 08, 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: "will avoid" => "could avoid", "lower" => "turn down"
Oct 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Is there no one else! Is there no one else? I have done it once more. Gyro enabled dual prop airplane. And looks like HH has a new setup for a Beast, and geebee. Lovin it. Lee
Oct 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
Bugle6
Is that an ultra micro dual set up, Lee?
Oct 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Yep. It is a mcx brick, turned sideways. In a dual prop plane somebody gave me that was in pieces. Got the servo's operating the rudder and elevator. Lee
Oct 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Yep. It is a mcx brick, turned sideways. In a dual prop plane somebody gave me that was in pieces. Got the servo's operating the rudder and elevator. Lee
Oh, that is a great idea with the mCX brick! You owe us some pix!!!
Jun 13, 2014, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Ok after reviewing this thread I realize its not concluded yet. First I have to analyze what Lee did in his plane but as I mentioned in an earlier post, if the MCX brick is mounted sideways the gyro would be disabled so it would not affect anything in that configuration. I never did finish this project with the SS (Star Scream) and I will now continue this project.

This is an advanced mod with the MCX brick with disabled gyro, I will get it sorted out this time..
Jun 13, 2014, 11:46 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
I wanted to utilize the gyro for yaw in my plane. I saw no reason to take it out of the equation. Looking forward to your results.
Lee
Jun 13, 2014, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
I wanted to utilize the gyro for yaw in my plane. I saw no reason to take it out of the equation. Looking forward to your results.
Lee
Hi Lee, long time my friend Say, if you wanted gyro in the yaw axis in your twin, then the brick must be oriented properly as in the MCX heli. However, if you also are using a servo for Rudder, the plane would be unstable in the yaw axis if you used the servo rudder. Very unstable as a twin is very sensitive is the yaw axis when using Differential Thrust Yaw. The result would be yaw to roll if rudder command used also Differential Thrust Yaw channel would have to be limited by TX programming.

gets complicated I know, right? I still have to give more thought to your configuration (which is different than mine) to give exact answers as to how it will work with two yaw channels...

I like this project as its a bit more complicated than most and also has the potential for something cool to be figured out
Last edited by modfly; Jun 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Jun 13, 2014, 02:40 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
It has been a loooong time. haha. I thought this thread was dead. Glad it is not. I actually used the two servo's on the mcx brick. I did orient the brick the same as the copter. And I had aileron on the rudder. Kinda like a standard three channel setup. My twin does not have much dihedral in the wing. Seemed to work fine. I just had problems with my motor size and props. Needed more thrust.
Lee

Quick Reply