Jan 27, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Wifi Boosted AR.Drone

I posted a while about finding a RF test point on the AR drone and since then i been waiting for all my stuff to arrive.

Put a good evening of work into my AR drone and here are my results

The before and after:

10dbi received Gain!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2011, 12:04 AM
How is your mod going! What is the brand name of the WiFi extender/booster! Do you have any pictures of the ardrone in flight?
Feb 05, 2011, 09:10 AM
Honey,just one more thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverGracefully
How is your mod going! What is the brand name of the WiFi extender/booster! Do you have any pictures of the ardrone in flight?
I would say this one from the pic. http://compare.ebay.com/like/3803068...=263602_304662
Feb 08, 2011, 01:01 AM
Fallengod Check your solder connections.....Any pointed peaks will act like an antenna............keep the wires as short as possible because a long antenna wire will also act like a delay line..........
Feb 10, 2011, 07:09 AM
Post a Tutorial PLEASE!
Feb 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
+1 for a tutorial/more details.

-- Gary
Feb 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks
Fallengod Check your solder connections.....Any pointed peaks will act like an antenna............keep the wires as short as possible because a long antenna wire will also act like a delay line..........
I agree with pointed peaks being bad and can all interference into the line . Also , unless there is a wire under that peak , it means your iron was not hot enough to allow the solder to flow properly.

But this would be the first time that I have ever heard of a "delay line".

Are you implying that a longer wire somehow changes the speed of light ??

I can see it causing a higher swr. But 'delay' .. its just not clicking for me.

Can you elaborate ??
Feb 12, 2011, 11:52 AM
Kev500 RF has certain characteristics when it travels through wires....RF aslo travels at one speed when it travels through wires which means there will be latency if the signal travels through a longer wire....Delay lines are used in high tech RF designs like 3G amplifiers, multi loop linear amplifiers, Feed Forward amplifiers, and multi carrier rack mount amplifiers....Simple delay lines are just a coiled RF line used to keep a multi block RF design in phaze because the signal is split and processed and when you re-group or combine the signal all of the re-grouped signals must be in phaze so that is where a delay line is used....There are also other Things to remember like RF deflection where is a group of signals off multiple antennas will need to have the same length signal wires going to a combiner or RX....If the signals do not meet at the combiner at the same time the slower signal or signals will be deflected.....RF deflection also happens when a signal wire is bent at too much of an angle....The signal will not pass through the angle ...It will just deflect .....Think of the signal wire as a water hose with a kink that stops the water.....It took me over 15 years to learn about RF and I was the assistant of many RF design engineers over the years and helped them with their design of many RF devices.....I have installed many high end WI-FI networks where the signal would have to span over 10 miles with the aid of amplifiers and fancy antennas....

Quick Reply