Feb 08, 2013, 09:03 PM
inverted-i-fly
you can fly at the rosebowl stadium
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Anyone use automatic/radio elevator compensation when the flaps are deployed? If so what percentages are you using and UP or DOWN elevator? Been too chicken so far.
I have not found any to be necessary. I haven't found 1/2 flaps to be very effective either, so I just have full flaps or no flaps. I use them every time I take off and land, and they work wonderfully.
Feb 08, 2013, 09:55 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
I'll probably maiden mine tomorrow!
Feb 08, 2013, 10:22 PM
352nd FG Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
I've read in this thread that the opposite is true. With a little heat (I think from something like a hair dryer), the decals lift away nicely if you're patient and careful.
With the Parkzone planes having the vinyl style decals you have to be careful, but the Hurricane has water slide decals. I found I was able to just paint right over them and you can't tell there's a decal under the paint. You can see for yourself in this pic. The "JX-B" and the "bee" are still on the plane, I just painted over them.
Feb 08, 2013, 10:25 PM
inverted-i-fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Let us know how it goes, a bit of a different direction for you with all your helis and 3D planes .......and for me for that matter, but I love flying this thing
Feb 08, 2013, 10:26 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
HellDiver - I was flying at the Rose Bowl earlier today and it's being set-up for this Sunday's Flea Market. The parking lot will be fenced off by tomorrow and the field is too mushy from the rain for the Hurricane. But it'll be great for bellylanders.

Inverted-I-Fly - The big field in front of the Rose Bowl is where people fly, along with the adjacent parking lot.
Feb 08, 2013, 10:30 PM
352nd FG Association

Maiden Day!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
I was very lucky I got one or two or three. I was about to take my extra300's guts out and get a p47 shell so i can have a plane with retracts and flaps. Then I saw the deal, thanks to the member that posted it.

The only negative I can think of is I have to take her apart for transport.

If I saw this plane in person I would have bought her at full price.

Wish me luck, if weather permits my maiden is tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Hehe, my brother will be maidening his tomorrow too!! Should be interesting to hear all the results tomorrow evening. I think all of you will have a great maiden, and you will fall in love with how easy this bird is to fly. I've been flying PZ warbirds for so long that this bigger warbird is just a dream to fly. Looking forward to adding at least 3 more flights to mine tomorrow.

Real quick, I wanted to mention the set up I used for the maiden and how she handled just in case it could be useful info to you guys yet to maiden.
DX7 (old version):
No high or low rates, just one setting.
Aileron- +70% expo, 90% throw.
Elevator- +70% expo, 100% throw.
Rudder (doesn't really matter, but)- +40% expo, 100% throw.

A 3300 40C lipo, all the way forward. CG balanced perfectly on the little square panels, (which if I'm correct are the hinged access doors to the fuel caps on the real one). No retracts yet, just fixed gear. About 3 clicks of down trim and she flys straight & level at half to 3/4 throttle. Use nice gentle stick movements, no need for all that "stick stirring/whipping" like we do on the PZ warbirds. Land with right at or just under 25% throttle, come in with about a 25 degree nose down pitch and go to full flaps on final, she has never ballooned on me when going to full flaps. Gently level at about 3ft. alt. and let her sink right on down. I actually don't start going level until the wheels are about 2ft. off the runway. If you keep it level right before touchdown, she'll grease in perfectly. Be careful not to flare too much, she will balloon on you then. I prefer not to flare, just stay level and let it gently drop to the runway on the mains. Hope that helps.
Last edited by Moonbeam; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Feb 08, 2013, 10:50 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
Let us know how it goes, a bit of a different direction for you with all your helis and 3D planes .......and for me for that matter, but I love flying this thing
I couldn't pass up the blow out pricing
Feb 09, 2013, 12:23 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...

Scoop mod

While waiting on the HK retracts to make their way here, I worked on the radiator scoop mod. I used a Dremel to create a narrow intake funnel then drilled a 1/2" channel horizontally to connect with a larger exhaust funnel. In theory, this should create suction when a small vertical channel intersects the 1/2" channel with air passing through the intake...and draw the heat from the fuselage.

Or...not.

Either way, I like the way it looks.
Latest blog entry: Real Wings!
Feb 09, 2013, 12:31 AM
The weather in New England inspired me to stay in today.

Feb 09, 2013, 12:34 AM
Still trying to decide if I want to go 4s on this plane.
Feb 09, 2013, 01:35 AM
352nd FG Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
MoonBeam does it again
Well done sir! She looks great!

What wheels are you using?
Hey B!!
I found out what those wheels are on my plane. They look to be Kavan brand, and are 2 3/4". Just a tick smaller than the stock Hurricane tires. The only place I could find them online was at Troy Built Models. The only ones I saw were 3" at $6.99 and were out of stock.

I know I bought them last year at SEFF at Hodges shop, but darned if I can even find a products page on his site!

I'll be at SMRCF tomorrow (Saturday), around 2/2:30-ish with the Hurricane. If the decals get here in time she'll be completed. I just finished putting the white band around the tail, and fixed the shell ejection ports like someone pointed out. I also found a mistake I made on the left lower trailing edge. Compared to the "artist's rendition", that lil strake is supposed to stay that Guaco color.
Feb 09, 2013, 01:40 AM
352nd FG Association
Awesome job Blizny!!! I actually considered that one. Good to see someone representing the Polish squadrons that played a big part in BoB!
Feb 09, 2013, 01:59 AM
my Head is Spinning!!!
Thanks Moon!

Left got it, no rosebowl tomorrow, maybe sunday afternoon?

I will try to maiden at my local field. If I can land my PZ extra300 in my small field, i should also be able to land this beauty, especially with flaps.
Feb 09, 2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizny View Post
Still trying to decide if I want to go 4s on this plane.
For a minute, I thought that was Josef František's plane, but that is RF - R of course.
Nice to remember the Polish Battle of Britain pilots

Mike

Quick Reply