Thread OP
Question

For Turnigy High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip owners

Hi. Could some one check if these leds work on 1S lipo? Thanx
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2011, 01:35 PM
Build,Fly,Crash,Repeat

For Turnigy High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip owners

Yes, these can be run on 1S lipo, but will be very dim. I have them running on a 2S lipo for my RC cars with great success, but if you are flying you will want the brightest illumination possible which would be 3S lipo, or a 12V niMh, NiCad set up.

Additionally, I have one RC car with the LED's hooked up to a 9V rechargeable battery that works great and shows the colors for some distance.

Hope this helps!

Shredman
Jan 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
Fail Warrior
Turnigy strips barely work on 2S. I did find some LED strips on e-bay that work nicely on 2S.
Feb 07, 2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RN4D0
Turnigy strips barely work on 2S. I did find some LED strips on e-bay that work nicely on 2S.
would you have a link to those that worked please ?
Feb 17, 2011, 09:44 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
I just got two sets of these white and blue...what is the best way to set them up to an electric rc airplane? Should i solder them to the red and black cables on the ESC, what is the route that most people go with them?

thanks
Feb 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
I've not been able to get even a small (3 LED section) to light up while using a 1S battery. They light up fine with 2S and are really bright on 3S. I've tried the Yellow, Red, Blue, Green and White. White and Blue are definately the brightest. Haven't found the electrical specs for these but I am guessing the forward voltage needs to be around 5v DC.

Brooklynstar23 I use some of the little 1S connector extentions from HK, cut them in half one side goes to the lights, the other is soldered to the ESC red and black. When I want to run the lights I just have to plug the connectors together.
Feb 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
Eagle34,
that's an excellent idea for led hookups,you should make a vid of your idea and post it o n you-tube! or enter it in model aviation magazine hints and tips!
Feb 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
It's not really all that, I just was looking for a way to connect the lights on the wing to the lights on the rest of the fuse (with a removeable wing) and I thought of the extentions and they worked well. Then I thought of using the extentions to either have lights or not. These are small and light plus they seem to handle the power requirements of the lights just fine. A full 1 meter strip (60 leds) only draws around 400mA, I don't have nearly that many lights on my plane.

One other thing I was checking the forward voltage required to light the LEDs. Using a bench top regulated DC power supply I found that the white and blue LEDs need around 6.3VDC to light up, didn't test any other colors. I think the other colors need less voltage. These LEDs can be used as a makeshift voltage dector (when using a 2S battery) to let you know when you are getting near LVC as the white and blue LEDs will dim first when getting near the 6.3VDC which is actually a little lower than I like to discharge my batteries to.
Last edited by Eagle34; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: addition
Mar 06, 2011, 01:55 PM
I run mine by removing one led and a jumper for 2s.Just as bright as 3s.Every 3 led section one has to be removed.Mine is for small applications.Let run for a few hrs and was fine.
Mar 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
Now which way was home.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
I just got two sets of these white and blue...what is the best way to set them up to an electric rc airplane? Should i solder them to the red and black cables on the ESC, what is the route that most people go with them?

thanks
You can also hook them up to a brushed ESC and that way you can use a spare channel to turn the light off and on. If you have a knob on your radio (or disable the centering spring on the rudder channel) you can use that to make the brightness fully adjustable. From barely on to blinding.
Mar 22, 2011, 02:17 AM
Has anyone tried de-soldering a single LED from the strip and running it on a 1S setup without a resistor? I tried hooking up a little 130mah 1 cell to a single LED on the strip, and it was really bright. I don't know how long it might last before it cooked.

I bought a pack of each color, so I have more than I need - I want to make some night blades.
Mar 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
Night Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC toy
Hi. Could some one check if these leds work on 1S lipo? Thanx
Try using this AnyVolt Micro Universal DC-DC Converter. It will step up the voltage but is limited to 0.5A. That should be enough for any aircraft using a 1c battery.

Phil
Apr 02, 2011, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Eagle34;17446448.

Brooklynstar23 I use some of the little 1S connector extentions from HK, cut them in half one side goes to the lights, the other is soldered to the ESC red and black. When I want to run the lights I just have to plug the connectors together.[/QUOTE]

Eagle34,

What is the part number for the 1S connector extentions?

Thanks.
Apr 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
Crashing? Hunting the mole!
Hi, I have also ordered these strips...
1. Has anyone tried to hook it on a standard servo output of the RX (I have Spektrum AR6xxx) ? I would love to have it radio-controlled, but not sure if the voltage is enough. I don't want to install any additional switch. Also hope that the RX won't cook ...
2. Is anyone using the service/balancing connector of the battery ? I ordered the female connectors, want to try this.
Apr 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam28
Eagle34,

What is the part number for the 1S connector extentions?

Thanks.
Here is the link

Honza that is a good way to connect to the battery, probabally the easiest. I haven't tried connecting to the RX output, best (safest) way would be to use a RX controlled switch.

Quick Reply