Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
^If it can be soldered it will work fine.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2012, 02:08 AM
Hey guys. So I finished by antennas this weekend. I'm pretty exited to test them out.

Can you please have a look at the pics and confirm if I got the polarization right? I think I built LHCP.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353917222.059091.jpg
Views: 375
Size: 36.9 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353917268.742198.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 39.9 KB
Description:
Thanks
Nov 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Engineer for Christ
A tapered microstrip! Beautiful! That's my favorite matching stub. Everything looks great.

-Alex
Nov 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
hey guys sorry to sound a proper idiot, i plan on buying a helical and wondering the best position for it, vertical, horizontal or what, i plan to use a CL with it
cheers
carl
Nov 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
doggit,
Helical's have to be pointed at the aircraft or other transmitter.

Chris
Nov 26, 2012, 06:12 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
hey guys sorry to sound a proper idiot, i plan on buying a helical and wondering the best position for it, vertical, horizontal or what, i plan to use a CL with it
cheers
carl
Think of the helical as a gun, firing the signal out of the barrel,
vertical/horizontal is no longer a problem with circular polarisation - like a rifle bullet the signal spins.
Mike
Nov 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
hello all check out the david (rcexplorer) inspired 5.8 helical antenna . i have attached the 3d pdf . im also designing a 6 tune for when i need real punch .

also check out www.jamiedco.com
Nov 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedco View Post
hello all check out the david (rcexplorer) inspired 5.8 helical antenna . i have attached the 3d pdf . im also designing a 6 tune for when i need real punch .

Very pretty, but fact free.
It would be a good idea to start a thread about it, where you can give dimensional drawings, build log, performance figures etc.
I don't think IBCrazy will be too happy to share his thread,
(I could be wrong, you might have already got his permission to post progress here).
Mike
Nov 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
i will be starting a thread but its in the design phase at the moment . i will link the thread once im a bit down the way with the construction of it . i will also share the templates and my experiences .
Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedco View Post

That design is pretty good structurally. It fixes the breakage problem in shipment and transport. However the construction of that is much more difficult. For a DIYer, the only real gain is the look of the antenna. The performance is going to be exactly the same as the support is not part of the radiating structure.

-Alex
Dec 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
Subscribed.
Dec 11, 2012, 05:19 PM
Thoughts of a 5.8g 10 turn Helical inside one of those skinny energy drink cans as a directional antenna for finding your lost plane if the video is still transmitting?
Dec 12, 2012, 02:53 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonunder View Post
Thoughts of a 5.8g 10 turn Helical inside one of those skinny energy drink cans as a directional antenna for finding your lost plane if the video is still transmitting?
You can supress sidelobes, but I would not do that with a full can. A border half an inch high around the reflector should do better.

Markus
Dec 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
You can supress sidelobes, but I would not do that with a full can. A border half an inch high around the reflector should do better.

Markus
Thanks Markus, I am thinking it would not be that directional within the last couple of hundred mtrs whatever we do though?
Dec 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonunder View Post
Thanks Markus, I am thinking it would not be that directional within the last couple of hundred mtrs whatever we do though?
If you have a way to monitor the RSSI value, you should see a clear difference.

Markus