Aug 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks Stephan. I will get the epoxy out again. Kind of surprising they have zero support for this plane in terms of parts or even a whole airframe. Makes me think twice about buying anything in furture with no parts support.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2012, 02:14 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike873 View Post
Thanks Stephan. I will get the epoxy out again. Kind of surprising they have zero support for this plane in terms of parts or even a whole airframe. Makes me think twice about buying anything in furture with no parts support.
I have been putting off buying this plane. Parts availability in one reason. My altitude is another. I doubt this thing will perform as advertised at 3500 foot elevation. It'll just fly like a normal plane. Hovering may not be possible.
Aug 04, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I have been putting off buying this plane. Parts availability in one reason. My altitude is another. I doubt this thing will perform as advertised at 3500 foot elevation. It'll just fly like a normal plane. Hovering may not be possible.
Hi there, I am at 550 meters (1.800 feet). Here it hovers very easily, and can also pull out of the hover vertically.

Cheers,
Henrik
Aug 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there, I am at 550 meters (1.800 feet). Here it hovers very easily, and can also pull out of the hover vertically.

Cheers,
Henrik
What size of battery are you using to achieve this at 1800 feet? I'm double that altitude.
I've read so many different specifications on what battery to use. They range from a 3400 mah, 4s (Area 51) to a 4400 mah (Hobby Lobby and Graves) and stuff in between (3850 mah at Atlanta Hobby). Each of these would make for a different total weight of the plane and a slightly different thrust to weight ratio. I fear that as we go higher in altitude that total weight becomes increasingly important to the performance of this plane and the amount of flight time possible.
I have several "ordinary" jets and they fly nicely here but the claim to fame of the SebArt is the slow, high alpha ability. It would be a shame to spend the money and lose that capability due to my location. Of course, there's still the parts availability. I'm still not to the "never crash" stage yet.
Aug 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
What size of battery are you using to achieve this at 1800 feet? I'm double that altitude.
SLS APL 45C 4.000 mAh 462 grams.

Cheers,
Henrik
Aug 05, 2012, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
I've sent a message to Area 51 to ask them to confirm that their product does have the 65 amp ESCs while the sellers in the USA state that theirs have 45 amp ones. The price works out to about the same. The only difference may be the shipping to Canada. The shipping stated by Hobby Lobby to my location is already very high. But who knows, I saved a huge amount of money having a plane shipped to me from Australia compared to the same plane shipped from HL.
Aug 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackdroot View Post
Selling one of these NIB if anyones interested. Looking to fund another plane.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=sebart
Thanks hack for the great deal on the Mig, I now have one of each paint scheme!!!
Aug 08, 2012, 11:46 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I've sent a message to Area 51 to ask them to confirm that their product does have the 65 amp ESCs while the sellers in the USA state that theirs have 45 amp ones. The price works out to about the same. The only difference may be the shipping to Canada. The shipping stated by Hobby Lobby to my location is already very high. But who knows, I saved a huge amount of money having a plane shipped to me from Australia compared to the same plane shipped from HL.
Area 51 has just replied to confirm that they are now selling only "Version 2" of this plane. 65amp ESCs is what they now come with. They also quoted me about $130.00 to ship one to me, given the same price as the US sellers for the plane itself. I think I'll wait for the US sellers but I have a feeling that the US sellers will not sell version 2 till they have sold all there current stock of version 1. Mind you, their shipping costs to Canada is not that much better.
Aug 10, 2012, 04:53 PM
I wrote to Atlanta Hobby and they say me they have the version 2 in stock.
Aug 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
I wrote to Atlanta Hobby and they say me they have the version 2 in stock.
Same price? I checked their website now and it still shows the ESCs as 45amps and when you try to select one, it says both color schemes are "backordered". I may write them also to see what they can do about shipping to me. I've also written to Xtreme Hobbies in Australia to ask if they are planning to start selling the Mig V2.

PS. No joy. Atlanta Hobby won't even give me a shipping estimate on the check out.
Last edited by xviper; Aug 10, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
xviper when you receive the answer form Atlanta, please confirm to me. I will be in Orlando on 10th september and like to order one, but only if be the V2 with 65esc.
Aug 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
xviper when you receive the answer form Atlanta, please confirm to me. I will be in Orlando on 10th september and like to order one, but only if be the V2 with 65esc.
Roger that. I'll post it here if they respond. If they don't, I'll probably not remember for a while that I wrote them.
Lately, it seems that sellers of RC planes have been very remiss about responding to my inquiries. It's as if they have to beat customers away because they have so many.

I've decided that since I've had such bad luck getting responses via online "contact us" forms, I'm going to wait till next week and phone them. Hopefully, that will compel them to talk to me. On the other hand, there is a seller (won't mention the name but think about a long, curved, yellow fruit that you peel and Donkey Kong loves them) who just don't answer their phones and won't return calls left on their answering machine, so we'll see.
Last edited by xviper; Aug 10, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Aug 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
Suspended Account
rogerio, I talked to Cliff at Atlanta Hobby today and he tells me that they have not sold the version 1 for quite some time. All the ones they have been selling of late, have been version 2 with the 65 amp ESCs. They must not have updated their webpage information. He also said they currently have no stock and he would have to check his Vegas warehouse. He said they generally ship UPS, which is a no go for me but he will find out what USPS will charge and get back me. He was afraid that USPS would charge so much for a large box that the shipping costs would be too high. He had no idea just how much UPS charges for brokerage fees on my end, along with the resultant duty and tax. The postal service has a $5.00 fee and most times, they don't even broker it and it comes to my door duty and tax free. When I told him that an F/A-18 sent to me from Australia saved me over $100.00 as opposed to buying the same plane from Hobby Lobby, he was stunned. I think most Canadians who know better have joined the UPS boycott.
The price has not changed for the current version as far as he knows. Won't know for sure until his next shipment comes in.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
i ordered one from the US, and I live in canada.
i got soaked for $130 including shipping, duty, taxes, and the [should be illegal] brokerage fees UPS charges. and that was only for the $250 airframe!
i'll never do that again.

Quote:
rogerio, I talked to Cliff at Atlanta Hobby today and he tells me that they have not sold the version 1 for quite some time. All the ones they have been selling of late, have been version 2 with the 65 amp ESCs. They must not have updated their webpage information. He also said they currently have no stock and he would have to check his Vegas warehouse. He said they generally ship UPS, which is a no go for me but he will find out what USPS will charge and get back me. He was afraid that USPS would charge so much for a large box that the shipping costs would be too high. He had no idea just how much UPS charges for brokerage fees on my end, along with the resultant duty and tax. The postal service has a $5.00 fee and most times, they don't even broker it and it comes to my door duty and tax free. When I told him that an F/A-18 sent to me from Australia saved me over $100.00 as opposed to buying the same plane from Hobby Lobby, he was stunned. I think most Canadians who know better have joined the UPS boycott.
The price has not changed for the current version as far as he knows. Won't know for sure until his next shipment comes in.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
i ordered one from the US, and I live in canada.
i got soaked for $130 including shipping, duty, taxes, and the [should be illegal] brokerage fees UPS charges. and that was only for the $250 airframe!
i'll never do that again.
Yeah, UPS is NOT the way to go. I told Cliff that UPS is not acceptable.
Oddly enough, my inquiries with Area 51 in UK netted me the following results:
Mig-29 ...... 339.03 GB Pound
shipping .... 85.00 GB Pound
total ........... 424.
Converted to Canadian $ .............. $660.00 at today's exchange rate. Now, I'm sure VISA will extract their pound of flesh when doing the conversion but it may be the winner in the end. Will wait for Cliff's reply next week on the shipping. If it's more than $110.00, may as well get it from Area 51. To date, this will be the most expensive plane in the hanger.

I didn't know you could buy just the airframe. Have you flown it yet? Curious what altitude you fly at. I'm still a bit concerned about being at 3500 feet for this thing to do a vertical launch.

Quick Reply