Aug 17, 2014, 08:19 PM
No he was saying he hoped they were screwed on like the freewing models.....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2014, 08:41 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
No he was saying he hoped they were screwed on like the freewing models.....
OK, went and re-read it. Phrase in the wrong place in sentence gives it a different meaning. You're right. I'm sure that's what he meant.
Aug 17, 2014, 08:42 PM
Yeah he did kind of break up what he was trying to say but the last sentence cleared it up for me...
Aug 17, 2014, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
PS. I love foamies that screw together. I fly my Mig every couple of weeks and flew it only a few days ago. It still thrills me every time it goes up.
Aug 17, 2014, 08:53 PM
Forgive me if my sentences were a bit confusing to read. Yes, I was hoping the wings and other components just screw together similar to the new Freewing jets (F/A-18E, Su-35, Eurofighter, etc.). I don't really like having to use glue over the fact that it can be messy, it makes planes a bit more difficult to transport them to the flying field, and makes it more difficult to replace parts. With a plane this big, I was wishing everything was just screwed on, but it's okay. It looks like no one has the new version yet, so I'm looking to see how it's different from the previous version
Last edited by Sweller123; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Aug 17, 2014, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
I have several planes that screw together. When the screws work well, it's a joy. However, there are some planes where the screws are very hard to do the final few turns. You end up using a lot of force and the screw heads get mangled quite badly. My Stinger 90 was a joy. It all went together very well. On the other hand, my ViperJet was not so nice. It took a lot of effort to install the last couple of screws in the tail. Disassembly on that plane would be virtually impossible. Eflite makes planes these days that are pure simplicity to screw together. All the screws are of the hex type and are not easy to strip. Their planes can go together and be taken apart with ease. My LX A-10 is another one that is a poor screw type assembly.
Aug 17, 2014, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I have several planes that screw together. When the screws work well, it's a joy. However, there are some planes where the screws are very hard to do the final few turns. You end up using a lot of force and the screw heads get mangled quite badly. My Stinger 90 was a joy. It all went together very well. On the other hand, my ViperJet was not so nice. It took a lot of effort to install the last couple of screws in the tail. Disassembly on that plane would be virtually impossible. Eflite makes planes these days that are pure simplicity to screw together. All the screws are of the hex type and are not easy to strip. Their planes can go together and be taken apart with ease. My LX A-10 is another one that is a poor screw type assembly.
I will admit that there are some disadvantages to using screws, such as the fact that it can strip, making it difficult to remove and depending on the design, they may make the parts move a bit regardless of how tight it is. There are both advantages and disadvantages to using either glue or screws, but I do still think that with a plane of this size, I think screws will work best because it will make it easier to transport the plane onto a field. Still, I can't wait for it to be in stock.
Aug 27, 2014, 01:46 AM

First flights with single ESC, synchronous fans and 3D gyro

Hi there,

I had a day off and finished the planned modifications on the Mig. Then I took it out for a spin. Here are the results.
  • Synchronous operation of the two fans powered by a single ESC seemed to be working well in the air. There were no audible or visible artifacts (e.g. loss of sound or of thrust).
  • Note that on the bench I had two ESC shutdowns, followed by a beep-beep and immediate restartability. This was at WOT and about 85° ESC temperature. So, synchronous operation is still very experimental. It may depend very much on the exactness of the matching of the motors and fans (in the Su-35, I had a different set of matched Evos, there were no shutdowns).
  • The ESC was mounted between the inlets in the air. It stayed ridiculously cold. Maximum ESC temperature during the flight was 35° celsius, at about 18° OAT. This seems to prove that ESCs with active freewheeling, in this case a Jeti Mezon, really run more efficiently and thus colder in partial load scenarios.
  • The Evos run extremely smooth and quiet, almost too quiet. The plane is barely audible in the air. It could be used as a "Jets are quiet-demonstrator" to the greens that would like to shut down our flying site .
  • Thrust is ridiculously good - it hovers at about 55A at about 1.890g AUW, with enough headroom up to 100A. Vertical performance is extreme.
  • The Cortex 3D gyro works, but currently shows the same hovering behaviour in the air as it did on the bench: There is oscillation around the longitudinal axis. In other words, it either needs to be configured differently, faster servos need to be built in for the TV operation, or it won't work :-).
  • Energy consumption was 2.200 mAh @ 6S and 5m20s on flight #1, and 2.300 mAh / 4m40s on flight #2.

Cheers,
Henrik
Last edited by hklagges; Aug 27, 2014 at 02:50 PM.
Aug 27, 2014, 01:53 AM

Attachment location for single ESC

Here is a possible location for mounting the single ESC. It is relatively protected between the inlets, gets very good cooling, is on the center line, and does not mess up the center of gravity.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: And from the front it looks like a triple-capacitor rocket launcher !
Aug 27, 2014, 03:16 AM
Hi Henrik, thanks a lot, very nice setup!!!
I am still waiting on the kit and the fans (havnt heard from Oliver in a long time ). I will probably use hitec 5065/5082mg whitch should be pleanty fast for the gyro and probably some gens ace 6s. I might even go a little bit bigger than you maybe 3200mah, seeing that your setup only weights 1890gr.

I heard only good stuff about the Cortex, but will first try a A3super before installing a cortex.
Aug 27, 2014, 02:38 PM

With faster servos and 6V, the Cortex 3D gyro works

Hi there,

I ripped out the stock TV servos and replaced them with TGY-306G-HV high-voltage "ultra fast" servos (0.06 seconds/60° @6V). And I programmed the ESC to deliver 6.0 volts (aren't ESCs that are programmable via the transmitter nice :-)).

Benchtest: Voilá, the oscillation seems to be gone. 1:0 for the Bavarian Demon.

He, he...

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: Flight test: The gyro also works in the air. Mostly no oscillations, once an oscillation but just a few cycles.
Last edited by hklagges; Aug 28, 2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Flight test results added.
Aug 27, 2014, 03:45 PM
Heya Henrik

Those are nice servos! Did they fit without cutting some foam?
Aug 27, 2014, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibase View Post
Those are nice servos! Did they fit without cutting some foam?
Yes, they fit in without geometric problems. However, getting the old ones out was not so easy, that resulted in some cosmetic damage. The foam is very thin between the servo and the thrust tube.

Contra: The servos are expensive, probably stronger than necessary, and also of course a bit heavier than the original servos. But I liked that they withstand high voltages and are very fast. So they may be a right choice for the 3 TV servos in a gyro-stabilized hovering scenario.

Cheers,
Henrik
Aug 28, 2014, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibase View Post
I might even go a little bit bigger than you maybe 3200mah, seeing that your setup only weights 1890gr.
The interesting questions are
1) whether a 6S 3.200 mAh-battery will fit into the battery compartment without changes (the 6S 2.600 version does)
2) and the CoG. The 2.600 battery is not centered, but positioned slightly more rearward, maybe 3-4 cms distance from the rear wall of the battery compartment. A 3.200 mAh battery may be too heavy and require a counterweight or opening of the compartment, which of course is possible.

Cheers,
Henrik
Last edited by hklagges; Aug 28, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Aug 28, 2014, 02:25 PM
Well i just have to wait and measure the dimensions when my kit arrives. I was looking at the revolectrix 6s 3400mah 30C which is 498gr. Or the gens ace 6s 2600 35c which is 421.... Anyway many thanks for your infos on your setup, was a big help

Schöne Grüsse

Christoph

Quick Reply