Jul 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball
The standard RRS allow dip starts by default.

You have to put something in the regatta SI, or have the RD call "I" Flag - R 31.1 (round the ends) to dis-allow dip starts.

John
I understand that which is why I asked. Usually, when they are not prohibited more than one boat attempts it.

Our two local clubs prohibit dip starts in an effort to prevent damage to boats as our starting line is rather short.

FC
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
I understand that which is why I asked. Usually, when they are not prohibited more than one boat attempts it.

Our two local clubs prohibit dip starts in an effort to prevent damage to boats as our starting line is rather short.

FC
FC,
yes i agree they could be risky business, but there's been no collisions so far.. yes they are allowed during the local Points Races here in SD .. 1st time I saw it done I thought for sure it was some sort of an infraction or mistake../ But the consensus was these are Ok.. Perhaps Ken Campell would care to comment and elaborate on this since this was his boat I believe you are referring to.. and he knows all the rules really well.. I don't.
Aug 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
Any word on conditions over at RW in SD for the first few days and the IOMs? Better yet any videos?
Aug 02, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODOMitter17
Any word on conditions over at RW in SD for the first few days and the IOMs? Better yet any videos?
Sorry, I've been strapped at work and haven't made it over to the pond.. Wind's been pretty light but certainly sail able WNW 4 to 8 I believe most of the time.
If i get a chance to shoot some video this weekend i will..regards JimS
Aug 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODOMitter17
From Weather Underground: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=92101 72 F - Wind SSW @ 7 mph

"At 3 PD PDT a 1017 mb high was just off the coast of San Luis Obispo County
and a 1007 mb thermal low was northwest of Needles. Weak onshore flow will continue through this weekend."

FC
Aug 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
From Weather Underground: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=92101 72 F - Wind SSW @ 7 mph

"At 3 PD PDT a 1017 mb high was just off the coast of San Luis Obispo County
and a 1007 mb thermal low was northwest of Needles. Weak onshore flow will continue through this weekend."

FC
I think San Luis Obispo is a long way from the pond in San Diego.
Aug 03, 2012, 10:57 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Yeah, funny thing about weather systems is that they influence weather a long way from their centers. Want to see it graphically? Go to http://hint.fm/wind/index.html Click on the map and it keeps magnifying. Click and hold to move the center of the map.

FC
Aug 12, 2012, 01:18 AM
Dale G......OZD
Some action from today's ODOM races during Race Week in San Diego.

Dale
Last edited by he4gott; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Aug 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
Some action from today's ODOM races during Race Week in San Diego.

Dale
Terriffic Photo Dale!.. they look really sharp out there..
Aug 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Being new to Sailboats, thought it would be a good idea to trade 113 degree weather for 76 degrees and watch boat races.

Thanks Joe from Washington for all the info, and Greg race director for the Sandwich, good day.

I thinks I'm hooked.
Steve

8-11-2012
Last edited by sbales; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Aug 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales
Being new to Sailboats, thought it would be a good idea to trade 113 degree weather for 76 degrees and watch boat races. ..
I thinks I'm hooked.
Steve
Yes tho it seemed super hot for us .. it beats the Barstow Heat .. glad you had a nice time. Seems like pretty much everyone did that I have spoken with..
Aug 13, 2012, 02:27 PM
Dale G......OZD
Another great day at the pond assisting with the ODOM Nationals. Here's a shot of a VERY close finish between Jess Atkinson (who went on to win the championship by 1 point) and (I believe), Dave Ramos.

also, here are the 2012 ODOM National Championship Final Results:

After 16 Races and 2 Discards - 35 Skippers

1 Jess Atkinson sail#56 Alameda, CA 30 points
2 John Castelli sail#117 Yorba Linda, CA 31 points
3 Dennis Rogers sail#43 San Diego, CA 47 points
4 George Pedrick sail #325 Pt.Richmond, CA 63 points
5 Craig Mackey sail# 429 Oceanside, CA 69 points

Dale
Aug 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Thread OP

Thanks for the summary update Dale

Wow, glad to see so many familiar names in the list of finalists.. I bet Jess will be hitting you up for more of these excellent photos.. What a cool shot.. His sails look perfect.. Looks like the sailing conditions were great too!
Regards,
JimS
Aug 13, 2012, 09:04 PM
Dale G......OZD
Great conditions and some great sailing by all the participants. I'm hoping to post some photos and a bit of video on the ODOM class site: http://odomusa.ning.com/

Dale
Aug 14, 2012, 08:18 AM
Onward and Upward.
Folks, this was a fun time for me as this was the first time for I've seen an actual championship regatta. Our little club in western Colorado would not believe the precision and skills necessary to run this great event. It was an incredible learning experience for myself and motivated me to get back on track and try to re-spark our minuscule club into action. Thanks very much for the experience.

Randy

Quick Reply