Jan 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Can you help me with this plane?

I have two wings, they seem to be a glider but I have no idea it has a wing span of 65cm, and there is nothing else that comes with it that is not in the picture. I was wondering if I could make a sail plane or maybe have a small motor, or if someone can identify it.
-
Mika
Last edited by mikajmd; Nov 08, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
I would guess that it is either an old slope soarer wing, or possibly from a "Quicky 500" class pylon racer.

You could probably build something similar to the Sig Ninja with this wing.

Ken
Jan 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Thanks for the quick response.

how would I attach the wings to the fuselage?
Jan 23, 2011, 11:16 PM
Look at post # 32 on the page linked to the bottom of this message. Notice the 3rd photo in post # 32. The wing butts up against a fuselage former. The former has a small hole (about 1/4") located at the center of the fuselage, and at the leading edge of the wing. A 1/4" dowel is glued in the center of the wing, and sticks out infront of the wing an inch or so. The dowel goes thru the hole in the former, attaching the front of the wing to the fuselage. Then a nylon bolt, or screw goes thru a hole towards the back of the wing. This bolt hole goes straight thru the wing, and is located above a block glued across the fuselage. The block is threaded for the bolt. The wing ends up being attached by the horizontal dowel in the front, and the vertical bolt in the rear.

Look at post # 32 on this page.......
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=840419&page=3

Ken
Jan 24, 2011, 12:01 AM
Are you sure you measured it right? 65cm is VERY small for the full span, i.e. both wings.
Jan 24, 2011, 12:15 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Sorry about that it is actually 52in Total length. I was measuring only one wing previously.
Jan 24, 2011, 12:25 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
The wing ends up being attached by the horizontal dowel in the front, and the vertical bolt in the rear.

Ken
Thank you, I was also wondering what about horizontal wing supports, or something to keep them straight?
Jan 24, 2011, 03:49 AM
The two parts are glued together to make a 1 piece wing. The center joint must be as tight as possible, when you place the parts together there should be no gaps visable. The wing halves are glued together using epoxy. Don't use 5 minute epoxy, use at least 15 minute epoxy, 30 minute epoxy would be better. After the wing is joined, and the epoxy has dried, you would wrap the joint with a layer, or 2, of fiberglass to strengthen the joint.

You obviously know very little about building model aircraft. That's OK, I'm not that good at it either. You live in Southern California, and there are quite a few slope junkies down there. I would suggest you post a message in the slope forum, saying " I live in (insert city name here), and am looking for someone who can teach/show me how to build a foam core, wood slope model.

If someone offers to help you, ask them to recommend a kit model to build. You would be better off starting with a kit, than an unknown wing. Knowing some of the talent in the So Cal area, it is possible that the person might have a favorite woodie design to scratch build.
Jan 30, 2011, 10:47 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
So I glued the wings together with 30min epoxy and the wings are much sturdier than I though they would be. I also glued in an aluminum dowel because that is the only thing that would fit, I still have to sand it and put some fiberglass over it. My plan with this plane is to slide the wing into the body so the dowel will hold the front end down and then screw the back end down to the body.
-Mika
Last edited by mikajmd; Nov 08, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Jan 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Do you know where i can get the plans for the sig ninja?
Jan 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikajmd
Do you know where i can get the plans for the sig ninja?
I think I found it,

it is item number SIGKP263

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Jan 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
The Sig Ninja kit contained die cut parts, and foam wing cores. The fuselage formers would "key" into the fuselage sides. It was not necessary to build the Ninja over a plan sheet. Because of this the "plan" sheet included with the Ninja was reduced in size.

The instruction pamphlet, and plan sheet, will show you how to build the Ninja, or any simple foam winged, wooden fuse sloper.. However, you won't be able to trace parts from the plan to build your own Ninja.
Jan 30, 2011, 10:10 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
The Sig Ninja kit contained die cut parts, and foam wing cores. The fuselage formers would "key" into the fuselage sides. It was not necessary to build the Ninja over a plan sheet. Because of this the "plan" sheet included with the Ninja was reduced in size.

The instruction pamphlet, and plan sheet, will show you how to build the Ninja, or any simple foam winged, wooden fuse sloper.. However, you won't be able to trace parts from the plan to build your own Ninja.
That makes sense, because they do sell the kit for ~$50. For the main body would you recommend me just making it out of balsa wood using epoxy and some micro balloons to lighten it up, or would that be to fragile for a balsa wood plane? Since this is my first balsa build, but I have built many foam park fliers.
-Mika
Jan 30, 2011, 10:41 PM
SlingWinger
Just thought I'd drop a tip regarding the Ninja.

As was previously mentioned, the Ninja fuselage was 'self-jigging' in that tabs on the formers fitted into slots cut into the fuselage sides.

Way back when this plane was the new kid on the block, we found that the fuselage would break where these slots were cut, usually in cartwheel type landings. We deduced that the failure started on the side that was subjected to tension loads.

The easy fix was with strapping tape on the sides of the fuselage. Gluing, by itself, wouldn't hold up. Anyway, my flyin' buds and I from then on applied the strapping tape to the sides of new construction, before covering with Monokote.

This greatly reduced fuse failure in the inevitable slope site crash/landing area.
Jan 30, 2011, 10:51 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhead
The easy fix was with strapping tape on the sides of the fuselage.
Thank you, and I will be sure to remember this while building.
I have found the manuals for the sig ninja but you have to select all the text in order to read it but at least you can see the pictures, letting me reference from them.

http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC63NinjaP1.html
http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC63NinjaP2.html

-Mika

Quick Reply