Apr 03, 2011, 01:21 AM
WingsTiresTitsGunaGiveYaT ruble
I have hand launched it. definetly need good power though.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
took out my sunrise for its first flight today. I dropped a 450 1100KV motor and a 35 amp speed controller in it with a APC 9x6 prop. I decided to hand launch for the first flight due to the grass in the park where I fly has gotten sort of tall due to all the recent rain hear in California. anyhow the sunrise took off out of hand with authority. a little up elevator trim is all that was needed for straight and level flight. with the 450 motor ( which is a no name motor I ordered from HEADS UP RC) had more than enough thrust. when landing I chop the motor and came in dead stick just to see how well it would glide. The landing went ok but next time I will use a little throttle. all in all its a great little plane. I had to add weight to the nose and put the battery as far to the fire wall as possible for the plane to balance.
Apr 24, 2011, 05:10 AM
I guess this thread is dead. I will not post any more comments unless I see some activity.
Apr 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
There should be more activity soon.. I found this thread after seeing an ad in Model Aviation.
The combo looks like a good deal.
Apr 24, 2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
I guess this thread is dead. I will not post any more comments unless I see some activity.
not a whole lot to talk about. planes are flying. mine gets 1or 2 flights on Sundays and needs little to no maintanence. IMO this bird needs the wing moved back 1/2-1" along with a pull pull rudder and a touch more dihedral to really make it a "good" flyer w/o a bunch of mixing
May 28, 2011, 08:04 PM
the sunrise is pretty cool. ROG from a grass field that makes all my other planes either tip forward or not gain enough speed. more people should check this plane out, it fly's good and the quality of the build is great. one of the most sturdy foamies I own. I think I may order the handyman
Jun 01, 2011, 01:00 AM
Very nice kit, got it to replace my ancient GWS Formosa, it is still flying after ten years, and looks it.
Sunrise went together quick in about 3 nights, I did put on some bigger wheels, for grass landings. I have six flights on it after two weekends. I have flown it with packs from 1350 to 2200 3S, I am liking 1550 the best, but can't beat the long flights with the 2200's.
I took a quick video with my crappy hat cam, I don't think that you will be able to see very well how it flys, but I will put it up anyway.
Love the way that it snaps, I didn't get it on this vid, but knife edge takes very little rudder, but has some coupleing, to the canopy I think. I am still figuring how to land it, on the vid the wind was coming up, so I had a head wind to land into, I missed the runway, but the stout landing gear has held up to to quick tall grass stops.
I didn't get much sleep the night before, the flying is not my best, if I was feeling better, I would of tryed harder to keep the plane closer to the camera, but that means flying low, and I just wasn't up to that on Sunday.

Sunrise EP (6 min 47 sec)
Jun 01, 2011, 06:02 AM
great video did you need to add weight to the nose to balance you plane, I fly with a 3 cell 2200 battery pushed as close to the fire wall as possible and it is still a little tale heavy. I have seen post saying that using the stock folding prop set up helps balance the plane. I installed 450 e-flite motor using a 9x6 APC slow flyer prop. the plane flies good but from your video I think your flies better.
Jun 01, 2011, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyrc
great video did you need to add weight to the nose to balance you plane, I fly with a 3 cell 2200 battery pushed as close to the fire wall as possible and it is still a little tale heavy. I have seen post saying that using the stock folding prop set up helps balance the plane. I installed 450 e-flite motor using a 9x6 APC slow flyer prop. the plane flies good but from your video I think your flies better.
The vid that I took is of the plane stock, with the folder that came with it. I did not add weight, the only change that I made is 1 1/2 inch ( I think ) wheels without the pants. My speed control is as far forward as I can get it ( right under the motor ) with an extension. The flight in the vid is with the 1550 as far forward as I can get it, I had to re-trim two clicks up with the 2200 liteflight. I still can't decide if I like the 1550 or 2200 better ( except for the longer flight times ), a friend who is more of an expert at trimming than I, said that he likes the way it fly's better with the 1550.
I need to spend some time trimming it out, saw and article on trimming on the f3A forum on trimming, I have been meaning to give it a read, the two times that I tried it was after 10PM, and I nodded off both times.

Bob
Jun 05, 2011, 08:45 AM
Jeff Carr
I just completed and flew my Sunrise yesterday. I have an Exceed motor and 45 amp controller with a 10x4.7 prop. Flies great. 2200 battery and major room to move it around. With the battery at the leading edge of the wing I have plenty of room to move it around.

It tracks great and rolls very nice. I need to do a little coupling as the knife edge pulls towards the gear but it very slight.

Very nice value. Really its a big plane in a small package

Jeff
Jun 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
Jeff Carr
I cant believe there isnt more talk about this plane. Im not a big foamy type but this doesnt fly like a foamy. I got mine from Graves RC in Florida.

It will 3D well thats if what I do is 3D. Im not great in that segment of flight but it will hover.

I bought this because I want to excersise my right thumb a little more. Im a DLG and Thermal sailplane type but know when I need a tune up to get my cordination right. F3A type planes are good for this. So this little plane really helps in this area.

Slow rolling using the rudder to make the roll straight and level is where the rudder comes into play. Really its that good of a plane.

The longest part of the build was putting all the stickers on. I gooped the servos to the covers as the e-flite servos I had were to wide for the mounts. Goop is my friend here,

I trimmed the motor mount and added some epoxy to the wood foam joint in the nose just to make sure the mount was strong. I also enlarged the cooling holes in the front nose.

The power on mine is a Exceed Alpha 480 1020kv and a 45 amp esc. It was $32.00. Free shipping because of one of the codes I found here on the groups. So I have about $110.00 and added my radio equipment. The radio is an old 6102 converted to 2.4 with the DX6 rf deck and using AR6000 reciever.

I love flying this. You wont regret getting one.

I did have the wings flex. I did get confussed while doing a rolling circle and is got a little out of shape. I applied full power and pulled hard. The wing flexed but didnt break. The carbon spar is pretty strong.

Just having fun with a chunck of foam

Jeff
Jun 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
FYI.........I had mine out today and had it doing some very aggressive, full throttle snaps (which looked great and stopped well) and the canopy flew off. I would atribute this to the probable flex in the airframe (judging by what I see the wings doing in high "g" loading). Probabley will be a good idea to add a couple peices of velcro around the magnet area. I almost crashed it because I was trying to keep my eye on where the canopy was going to land which so happens ended up in the pond.
I havent flown mine in a while but enjoyed it today. I am at about 25% MAC, positive incidence and the mixes are minimal. I am happy with the Micro Dan as it has awsome power in this thing.
Jun 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Here ya go Jay. Didnt really have much time to completely evaluate the new accessories because the prop hit something in the grass on landing at the end of the first pack but the vertical surface of the "T" Can reduced my 9% aileron to rudder linear mix to 3% for KE (I was hoping it would do that) and when rolling to KE the SFG's reduced the amount of required rudder by a noticable amount. before I had to really feed in some rudder early in the transition but now, not so much so. It will actually harrier around a bit now as long as you dont get the nose up too high. I think the "T" Can shoud have been a bit farther forward but the canopy made that difficult to achieve.
Jun 19, 2011, 08:43 PM
Closed Account
Bill -

Smart paint job (and nice). Mine is a mess since I tried to cover all of it with color. It will have a patina for sure by the time I finish it.
Jun 19, 2011, 10:02 PM
it looks better in the pictures. LOL. the small peice of green tape on the LE is where I hit a tree 50' up on final. shes got scars but very durable

Quick Reply