E-flite Advance 25e ARF Review

The Advance 25e is a new ARF offering from Horizon and E-flite. This sport model is built up balsa, ply and includes a sheeted foam wing. Best of all the Advance 25e is budget priced and an excellent performer.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:52.5 in (1335mm)
Wing Area:535 sq in (34.5 sq dm)
Wing type:Foam, balsa sheeted - Semi-symmetrical
AUW weight:Advertised 3.70-3.90lb (1.6-1.8kg) Actual 3lb 11oz (1670g)
Length:49.0 in (1245mm)
Wing loading:~15.8 oz/sq. ft.
Cube loading:8.2
Transmitter:Spektrum DX7
Servos:JR Sport MN-48 Mini Servos
Receiver:AR7000 7 channel
Battery:E-flite 3200 3s 30c LiPoly
Motor:E-flite Power 25 Motor
ESC:E-flite 40 AMP Lite Pro Switch mode ESC
US distributor:Horizon Hobby
Advance 25e ARF:Advance 25e
ARF Price:$99.99

Horizon and E-flite have recently released a new sport model the Advance 25e. Horizon continues their trend of rolling out great looking, affordable models for all of us. They clearly have the modeler in mind during these times of economic challenges as this large plane has a budget price just under $100 USD. Considering the quality of and performance of this model that is a bargain.

This is a high quality ARF model that will be within the budget of most pilots.

Kit Contents

The review package shipped from Horizon, and it arrived in perfect condition. It was exceptionally well packaged, double-boxed and the contents in the box were isolated and protected from shifting during shipment.

Kit includes:

• Pre-built and covered balsa/ply fuselage
  • Foam core wing balsa sheeted and covered
  • Tail surfaces, covered and ready for attachment
  • Tricycle landing gear with nose steering (hardware included)
  • Smoked canopy pilot ready (pilot not included)
  • Factory slotted hinges ready for gluing
  • Hardware (Pushrods, torque rods, keepers and horns)
  • Attractive adhesive type markings
  • Clear well-written picture assembly guide

Kit requires:

• Power 25 or 32 brushless motor
  • 40-60 AMP ESC
  • 3s-4s LiPoly battery
  • 4 Mini servos (2-ailerons, elevator and rudder/nose steering)
  • 4 channel minimum receiver
  • 4 channel minimum transmitter
  • 6" Y-type servo extension for aileron servos

Included for this review:

<font size=-2>Power 25 brushless motor</font>
Power 25 brushless motor
Type:Brushless outrunner
Weight:190g (6.7oz)
Output shaft size:5mm
Cells:3S–4S Li-Po
RPM/Volt (kv):870
Continuous Current:32A
Burst Current:44A (15 sec)
MSRP:$69.99

<font size=-2>E-flite 40A Lite Pro Switch-Mode ESC</font>
E-flite 40A Lite Pro Switch-Mode ESC
Continuous maximum current:40 amps
Continuous maximum current:55 amps
Input Voltage:3S-6S LiPo or 9- to 18-cell Ni-MH/Ni-Cd
Input connector type:13 AWG with E-flite EC3 connector
Output Input connector type:13 AWG with 3.5mm female gold bullet connectors
Weight:48g (1.7oz)
# of servos (BEC enabled):7 analog or 6 digital
MSRP:$69.99

<font size=-2>E-flite 3s 3200mAh 11.V LiPo battery</font>
E-flite 3s 3200mAh 11.V LiPo battery
Capacity:3200mAh
Voltage:11.1V
Number of cells:3
Weight:270g (9.5oz)
C Rating:30C
Max. Continuous Current:96A
MSRP:$59.99

<font size=-2>E-flite 1.75 " src="https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/9/6/3/8/t3785003-43-thumb-ad03.jpg?d=1297040264" />
E-flite 1.75" Aluminum Spinner
Diameter:1.75"/44.4mm
MSRP:$17.99

<font size=-2>Spektrum AR7000 DSM2 seven-channel receiver</font>
Spektrum AR7000 DSM2 seven-channel receiver
Frequency:2.4Ghz DSM2
Number of receivers:Two (main and remote)
Channels:Seven
Voltage range:3.5-9.6V
Weight:14g
MSRP:$89.99

<font size=-2>JR Sport MN-48 Mini servos</font>
JR Sport MN-48 Mini servos
Type:Analog
Torque:48 oz/in (3.5kg-cm) at 4.8V
Speed:.18 sec/60 degrees at 4.8V
Speed:.15 sec/60 degrees at 6V
Weight:22.7g
Dimensions (LxWxH):33mm x 14.7mm x 25.9mm
Gear type:Nylon
MSRP:$23.99

Assembly

The E-flite Advance 25e is a true ARF model that is very quick to assemble. Most of the difficult work is completed for you at the factory. This ARF was highly prefabricated, including a foam wing that was sheeted with balsa. The entire model was factory covered with covered with Ultracote® iron on covering arranged in an attractive 3-color scheme.

Most will find the Advance 25e can be assembled in just a few hours.

Done by the factory:

• Entire model covered with genuine Ultracote®
  • Surfaces slotted and hinged

The builder needs to:

• Install the servos
  • Install the motor and ESC
  • Install the tail surfaces
  • Install the landing gear
  • Glue the hinges in

Wing

The wing halves for the Advance 25 are cut from white EPS foam. The foam wing panels are factory covered with a balsa skin and expertly covered. The balsa sheeted foam wing is very durable and strong.

The cutouts for the dual aileron servos were cut for you as well. The servos mount right on the top of the wing skin. The surfaces are slotted for the CA hinges and the builder will need to apply thin CA glue once the hinges are centered.

Installation of the servos was a snap as the recommended JR MN-48 mini servos fit with no modifications. The factory has routed a string in a hollow section of the foam core that allows you to pull the servo wires to the center of the wing. The servo wires on the MN-48s were just long enough to exit the holes in the center of the wing tops. You will have just enough end plug to attach the your "Y" cable or short 6" extensions. The latter extensions would be needed if you choose to enable flaperons, which is Perhaps not a bad idea on this slippery ship.

The wings join with a simple butt joint and small plywood dihedral brace. Using 30 minute epoxy allowed plenty of alignment time and since it soaks further into the wood it provides additional strength.

The landing gear blocks were also ready for the pre-bent main gear wires. Landing gear installation was a snap with the wing mount blocks installed in the wing. A 1/16" drill bit was needed to drill the holes for the gear strap wood screws. Using the manual recommended method of applying tape to the drill bit helps you stop drilling before you reach the top side of the wing.

Another trick I learned many years ago helps the pre-bent gear wire fit flush in the block: Simply remove a small amount of wood in the gear block near the leg hole. Removal of a small amount of material here allows the curve of the wire to not hit the wood in the block. Without removal of some wood here the bend in the wire leg will not allow it to sit fully flush inside the block.

The included wheels fit on the gear legs without any modification. It was nice to see the nylon spacers included. These allow the wheels to turn freely without binding on the curve of the gear leg.

The last step in the wing was the addition of a plate near the trailing edge of the wing. This plate provides a solid base for the wing retention screws.

Fuselage

The fuselage on the E-flite Advance 25e was the common box type typical of most sport models. The cowl area is open making motor access very simple. The servos are added to the laser cut ply trays. There were even laser cut holes that fit the MN-48 servo screws perfectly.

The factory installed pushrod tubes were just a tiny bit low. The solid pushrod wires came to the servo heads dead on. It would have been nice to see those holes raised a bit for less friction of the pushrod wires in the tubes.

When I had the rudder and elevator servos installed, the nose gear assembly started.

The nose gear wire was very heavy duty, no issues with bending this wire! The nose gear includes a nice nylon spacer and aluminum collar. The nylon spacer insures your tire is dead center on the wire and this relieves stress on the rudder servo.

The E-flite Power 25 motor was used for power. I have several of these fine motors and can say they have been excellent motivators for my planes. The firewall was drilled for both the Power 25 or the Power 32 motor "X" mounts. If you use the Power 32 you will need to use the included laser cut spacer to assure proper propeller clearance. The Advance does not include motor mounting hardware but the E-flite Power motor systems do.

Tail Assembly

The pre-finished tail surfaces were all hinged but not glued. I removed covering of the horizontal stabilizer to assure proper adhesion of the stabilizer to the fuselage. I used low-tack blue painters masking tape on the horizontal stabilizer to mark where the covering material needed to be removed. It also allowed me to easily remove the excess epoxy that squeezed out during clamping as the tape was removed before the glue fully set. Don't forget to use thin CA to secure the hinges on the elevator and rudder.

The vertical stabilizer attached the the center slot that was factory cut in the horizontal stabilizer.

I was so pleased to see a solid wood center to the included battery tray. So many companies make laser cutouts in this section and that is where you want to apply the hook and loop material. I generally have to provide a piece of wood to glue to the tray and then attach the hook and loop to that. Not so with the Advance; the tray is solid in the center. Great job E-flite!

Canopy

The Advance 25e came with a nice tinted canopy for installation on the fuselage. The canopy was pre-cut and fit well to the fuselage. You will have the option of either gluing or screwing in the canopy in place. Also nice was the included white striping tape to trim around and give the canopy a pleasant finished look.

Power system

The recommended Power 25 was used in the Advance 25e. It provided great sport power for use in the Advance 25e.

I have used the E-flite aluminum spinners in the past with excellent results. They look very sharp and have cutouts that are large enough for our "E" type propellers. I highly recommend them.

Amp draws

The included brushless motor is perfect for use with either 3s-4s packs. The E-flite 3200 mAh 3s 30c pack and Power 25 motor produced the following results:

Motor statistics on 3s
APCe Propeller Amps Watts Voltage
12x8 37.2 409 11v

These power levels gave the Advance 25e 111 watts per lb enough for sport performance in this nearly 4 pound model. The performance of the recommended E-flite power system was just right for sport flying.

The E-flite ESCs have all provided me with consistent, impressive performance. The switch mode BEC will power 6-7 servos on 6s voltages. Not having to add a supplemental BEC was welcome!

If you use the newer E-flite ESCs the programmer makes setting them up a snap. This is a RS-232 computer link that enables you to install software and update settings like cutoff voltage, brake, timing, throttle range, acceleration range and frequency.

Battery

A single 3s 3200 MAh E-flite 30c LiPoly battery provided power. This pack weighs in right at 9.5oz/270g. Performance of this pack was stellar as can be seen it provided great voltage with the 37amp load.

Finish

The Advance 25e was covered using iron-on film. The attractive 3 color scheme really popped.

Some ground shots of the E-flite Advance 25e. It is a very attractive model.

In order to attain the proper CG the 3s 3200MAh pack needed placement in well back on the tray. In fact, the battery needed to be about halfway into the center section of the fuselage. This is not unheard of with a long nosed plane especially with the added weight of the nose gear.

I flew the Advance with the CG near the rearward recommendation at about 85mm. CG is certainly adjustable and much of that remains pilot preference so certainly feel free to adjust yours at will.

It would be nice to see the battery hatch extend further into the center section to increase the usable battery placement area. Adding bit of weight to the tail certainly will not hurt the models performance, so that is an option for those using heaver motors.

Rates and transmitter setup

The trusted Spektrum DX7 transmitter was used for this plane. Rates were set as recommended in the manual with ailerons at 10.5/13.5mm and elevator at 8.5/15mm up and 10.5/18mm down and rudder at 57/73mm. Exponential rates were set at the recommended 15/20% for the primary flight controls.

The ailerons were very tame in flight so I now use the high rate throws for my low rates. The elevator low rates were robust and perfect for me.

The flight timer was set to count down from 6 minutes giving an audible warning to land before the battery was depleted. The 3200 E-flite 30c pack was easily able to supply the Advance with full throttle runs with no ill effects.

Flying

In the air the Advance 25e really has the feel of a much larger model. It will perform any sport aerobatics you feel the need to accomplish. I have now switched to the APC-e 11x10 propeller and really like that bit of additional speed. It performs very well on the stock 3s setup and the APC-e 11x10 propeller. It was an excellent sport power setup performing well with over 100w/lb power.

In flight pics come from Ronnie Pope. As usual they are simply stunning.

Takeoff and Landing

Since the Advance 25e has trike gear it is very easy to control on the ground. I found that take off power was reached before advancing to full throttle.

Landings are very straightforward just as one would expect from a well designed sport plane. I would note that the Advance 25e likes to keep moving right along. Since it is so slippery it retains energy very well. Flaperons create some drag and could be considered to help in slowing the Advance down a bit. This is a club field airplane and needs to be flown in an area with room.

As you get the hang of the Advance you will find you can slow it down remarkably well especially with a touch of headwind. It is a blast to do nose high landings just holding the nose in the air and resting on the mains. It reminds me a great deal of the ParkZone T-28 Trojan in this regard.

Special Flight Characteristics

The Advance 25e does not have any bad habits that I can find. It will perform nearly all 4 channel maneuvers with no complaints. Understandably, it is not a 3D ship, especially with the smaller strip ailerons.

Loops require nearly full power and the Advance 25e rolls well with the higher rate aileron throws. The aileron differential dialed into the control surfaces helps with keeping the rolls reasonably axial. A touch of down in the middle of the rolls helps keep the nose up.

I am having a total blast flying the Advance 25e. The day we shot video winds were variable and at 15mph. The Advance just cut right through the wind with ease.

Inverted flight was also easy with just a small amount of "down" elevator to keep the nose in the air. You will be hard pressed to find a better flying $99 airplane anywhere.

Recommended power system

Power on 3s voltages was just right for sport performance. Since the ESC and motor can handle 4s you could prop down and use 4s if desired. I am completely satisfied using the 3s pack with the 11x10 propeller.

Is this plane for a beginner?

The E-flite Advance 25e is intended for intermediate fliers with a bit of low wing experience. It would make a perfect step up for someone wanting a larger plane and moving up from the like of the ParkZone T-28 Trojan and other models. The higher wing loading will take a small speed adjustment, but with no bad habits you will soon have a very big grin on your face.

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

Horizon Hobby continues to amaze me with the rate they are rolling out these top notch models. Upon opening the box it was quickly apparent how remarkable this airplane was. It looks fantastic and has a low parts count for quick assembly.

To be candid I was not expecting anything all that special for under $100. It was quickly apparent this model spared no expense and was not cheap in any way. The quality fit and finish were all very good, with the exception of the pushrod tubes. The alignment was easily fixed with a minor adjustment to the wood surrounding each pushrod tube. Raising those tubes had the slight misalignment and pushrod friction gone.

The Advance 25e went together very quickly. The hard work was done at the factory, leaving you with the simple task of installing the radio components, tail feathers and the power system. The wing was foam core, with balsa sheeting and expert application of the attractive 3 color covering scheme.

Ground handling was greatly enhanced by the use of trike configuration landing gear. This is perfect for the modeler looking to step up from park flyer models into a larger plane. In flight the Advance 25e behaves and feels much larger than it actually is. It also remains very visible in flight especially with the easy to see contrasting covering patterns. These allowed you to easily maintain visual orientation.

In flight the Advance 25e really shines. It is perfectly well behaved and allows you to go tame or wild depending on control throws and CG. Aerobatics were no problem and this ship will do any 4 channel acrobatics you desire of this sport model.

Landings are a thing of beauty as you can slow the plane remarkably well. The Advance is very sleek and you will have to keep in mind that it retains energy very well. It was not bothered in any way by wind and it will provide you with a plane you take out in windy conditions.

The E-flite Advance 25e is a very attractive and easy to see in flight. It behaves and flies like a much larger plane. I am having a blast with mine and with the budget price of this model there is no reason not to add this to the fleet!

Pluses:

• Great quality,
  • Balsa sheeted foam wings
  • Detailed instruction manual
  • Short assembly time
  • Fantastic price!

Minuses:

• Magnet canopy attachment would be welcome
  • Pushrod tube alignment a tiny bit off

Check it out the hobby shop or buy direct at Horizon.

Last edited by Angela H; Mar 23, 2011 at 08:47 AM..
Mar 23, 2011, 10:09 AM
Wannabe Flyer
very cool this is on my wish list you cant beat a $99 balsa plane
Mar 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Wannabe Flyer
sorry duplicate post
Mar 23, 2011, 11:00 AM
I hate waiting for parts
The Advance 40 was my 2nd airplane back in 1999-2000 and I flew the covering off that plane (literally) with a .46 glow engine. Glad to see the plane has been pleasantly resurrected for electric power. New pilots who are looking for that 2nd plane should look no further. Can't wait to see one in person.
Mar 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
Well crafted review. I may have to pick this one up.
Thanks Mike
Mar 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Looks like a nice flyer. Too bad it sounds like a helicopter. What, you guys couldn't find somebody with a gasser to ruin the video?

Rube
Mar 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
RC Fanatic
Nice plane great review, too many egg beaters at that field.
Mar 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Here's more video taken of the Advance 25e a couple of weeks back:
(2 min 55 sec)
Mar 23, 2011, 04:08 PM
RC Fanatic
Seems to handle nice in the wind.
Mar 23, 2011, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Wind is not an issue. For a budget plane, this simply can't be beat.

Thanks Ronnie for posting the high res video.

Mike
Mar 23, 2011, 11:32 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Mike,
Thanks for a nice review. I didn't know that E-Flite had this plane. It looks like a steal at $100 and with the parts, looks like a great flyer from the video that you all have posted. Looks like a perfect fit between a high wing trainer and the Trojan and something that would be a nice in between plane.
Nice job.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Mar 24, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
Mike,
Thanks for a nice review. I didn't know that E-Flite had this plane. It looks like a steal at $100 and with the parts, looks like a great flyer from the video that you all have posted. Looks like a perfect fit between a high wing trainer and the Trojan and something that would be a nice in between plane.
Nice job.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Thanks man!

I didn't know it was out until my trip to the LHS and I saw it there! They had it out on the table for me to inspect.

It is a fantastic transition airplane. And as can be heard by the vid it handles out spring Texas winds with style.

Mike
Mar 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm liking mine more as the weeks go on. It's the largest and heaviest plane in my fleet, and really the first "large" plane I've had any luck with. I can't say I've put it through all its paces yet. Mainly I'm pleased that it has survived this long, knock wood (and foam.)
Mar 24, 2011, 04:07 PM

Mike

Nice job on this one, you just snuck it past me, it looks great with the tricycle gear, cant wait to fly it.
Mar 24, 2011, 05:50 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Here's a recommendation for everyone that gets one. We've got 2 flying at the local field and both of them did the same thing. Where the main gear slots into the hardwood block on the main gear, wick some thin CA into the block around the hole. Both planes had the hardwood block split starting at the hole. Nothing major, they both just split the block with the grain of the wood.

Quick Reply