Feb 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
If anyone would like to have a look at our Club magazine (this month is the Waterplanes Edition) you can find it here.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Flying Saturday 25th? It looks like a really good day to be flying.

I heard today that

"We had our meeting with Jon and Ian this morning - and a fly as well!

The staging has arrived and will be installed on the reservoir in the near future.

FL1 will be where we have been flying from - just in front of the life saver post, they will also put some gravel down to allow us to get to the staging and keep our feet dry!

FL2 will be where they have cleared already, a contractor will be cutting all the willow down around the reservoir and ensuring the shoreline is clear, and Ian will be going out on a boat to cut the willow projecting above the surface of the reservoir around FL2 and towards FL1.

FL3 will be a bit further south (20 meters) from its present position at the point where the shore line projects most into the reservoir.

The stagings will be fixed - that is not floating - but Jon assured us that the reservoir level is being maintained within a range of 30cm. The max level is 14 meters above sea level and the minimum is 13.70meters. Reaching the aircraft from the fixed staging shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway see you tomorrow at Longham circa 2pm."
Feb 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
25 Feb. We should have flown in the morning! The wind picked up too much for our lightweight models and after a pleasant hour or so we had to retire.
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Feb 25, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Mar 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
Fly the Discombooberator!

Good to be here!

Just joined, can't wait!

Just got my ICON A5 (Parkzone) so will be there soon
Apr 08, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hi to you in merry old England, what a selection of pictures of the different planes. I have tried to link our float plane thread here at the Flying Giants to your thread so we all can see what is going on-----on both sides but I am not able to get it done.
Apr 08, 2012, 09:00 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89
Hi to you in merry old England, what a selection of pictures of the different planes. I have tried to link our float plane thread here at the Flying Giants to your thread so we all can see what is going on-----on both sides but I am not able to get it done.
I think the link you want his here. Welcome to out piece of heaven in England Sherman, and I'm looking forward to reading though the floatplane thread.

Mike
Apr 08, 2012, 09:42 AM
It's a long thread---30 some pages but there is bunch of pics and video through out----even a 60% L-4 on floats. Thanks for figuring out how to link the threads. The Brits are so good at the scale plane game!!!!!!
Apr 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP

Friday the 13th

A really nice flying day, despite Adrian setting us late arrivals a route march to FL1.

Magnetman set the pace by flying his Parkzone Icon A5 for the first time on the water. It performed beautifully and as he got used to the location and the plane, did some very smooth touch and goes and even some downwind landings...TrevorH said it landed so fast it didn't really matter. Adrian's Seabee, Trevor's Sealand and Lazy Bee and Glen's Scorpio all took to the air.

But is was Friday 13th, and the Scorpio ran out of RX for some reason, but eventually made it back to the shore. Dave Philpott's Light Fighter failed to achieve a qualifying flight and both my Scooper and Islander had a motor/SC fault which saw them going round in circles but not much else.

A grand day out.
Apr 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mike
never mind the friday the 13th "thing" your day just sounded like a normal float flying session at our club lake "oop North"

last friday we took 5 models to the lake.....

every one of em ended up turning turtle with the wind.. which was a real shame as every one was safetly landed and suffered the wind flipping them over when trying to taxi back to shore!

oh! all our members now have "heavier" models under construction...

light models are great.......... BUT!

David
Apr 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much
Mike
never mind the friday the 13th "thing" your day just sounded like a normal float flying session at our club lake "oop North"

last friday we took 5 models to the lake.....

every one of em ended up turning turtle with the wind.. which was a real shame as every one was safetly landed and suffered the wind flipping them over when trying to taxi back to shore!

oh! all our members now have "heavier" models under construction...

light models are great.......... BUT!

David

If you have read any of the Flying Giants thread you will have come across my cub, it weighs in at 63lbs not a problem in the wind up to 15 mph. Above 20 and it starts to become a handful on the water.
Apr 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
.TrevorH said it landed so fast it didn't really matter.

Yeah indeed! I think this model needs flaps (like the real thing) to slow it up a bit - Mod coming up!

Also, the CG settings are not quite right for this model quoted at 30-35 mm back from the L/E, more like 40mm as mine is set up to, otherwise a bit nose down. But I would recommend starting off at 32 ish, fly off land first with the supplied U/C. Got a bit windy and I flipped on Taxi, Trevor helped with a push with his Sealand (wasit??) but alas I couldn't avoid the inevitable water filled wellies as I scrambled through the bushes on the shoreline...

Richard
Apr 17, 2012, 02:05 AM
Nice pictures - thanks Glenn.
Apr 17, 2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh
Nice pictures - thanks Glenn.
Amazing shots Glenn.. so nice to see ! must remember the head cam next time!

Quick Reply