New Official F3k Team Thread! - Page 37 - RC Groups
Jul 04, 2011, 05:16 AM
Bruce Davidson
It is the morning of the practice day and we just finished model processing. We were sent to the car a couple of times to trim wing tips and sand noses. I am very surprised to see some of our most popular models needed work to pass the FAI inspectors.

As we drive in this morning I thought I was seeing things. There is a big radar tower in the middle of the field. I used my computer camera to pop a shot just in time as it retracted back into the ground.

We are allowed to open fly today on the other side of the pits so the boys are putting the models together. This morning we have overcast with lighter winds than yesterday but I bet they are still using a bit of ballast. Our pit area is not far away but just out of reach for the Wifi.

Team GBR just finished their official training session. Here is The Lord Chaselton with his caller lookin good in a uniform the queen would be proud of.

Bruce
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2011, 05:18 AM
flying monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
WADA alert!
Jul 04, 2011, 05:22 AM
Bruce Davidson

one more try with pictures

Oh and the Wifi is slow.

The magical mystery tower in the background of the first one.
Nick and Val with Liam making a photobomb appearance.
Yo Nick, back off.
Last edited by got2soar; Jul 04, 2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: photo captions
Jul 04, 2011, 06:35 AM
Jonas and Bruce looks lovely <3
Jul 04, 2011, 07:13 AM
Lord and Lady Chasleton looking mighty fine
thanks mate
Jul 04, 2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivers dad
Lord and Lady Chasleton looking mighty fine
thanks mate
Looks like the Lord is sporting a new quiver of Twisters!
Jul 04, 2011, 09:29 AM
M Seid
Team USA is scheduled for official training within the hour. We switched slots with the norweigan team and will take the 2:30 local time slot from them. We will be running the official announcements for task c for our training. The system is borrowed from the Germans and the AULD flight announcements include what seems to us like a short buzzer. Not sure if it will be changed for the WC so we want to make sure we get our timing right. It could have been some unfamiliarity by the swedes with the German system that will be an easy fix. The Nordic was run with 2 minutes of flight testing time between each AULD flight within the round, due to a looping of the first 5 minutes of the audio file. Competitors did fly between flights during AULD, which we have pointed out should not be permitted during the WCs. We are hoping the interval between flight times is minimized to ensure we can fly at least 10 rounds. Mattias made the astute point in the managers meeting that flying 9 rounds would be the poorest choice for the number of rounds to fly.

The FAI and the organizers seemed very receptive to the managers suggestions on a range of questions and I was not the only one who left the meeting last night feeling much more confident that the WC contest execution will meet a very high standard.

I held a team meeting last night to brief our pilots and callers on the details of the meetings, and focused the discussion on the role of the pilots caller and his relationship with the official timer. It is very important for our pilots to be able to fly, and receive accurate information from each caller, without adding stress and pressure to the pilot. Our callers have been given specific instructions on working to make the relationship with the official timer constructive for the pilot during the critical rounds of poker and ladder. We will see how successful our strategy is over the next few days but we will not reveal it before.

The team is really gelled now. We have spent a little less than a week and the chemistry is really strong amongst the team. Both Charlie and Robert Ashinsky have been strong for the team. Both dads have been super helpful to the team and I want to thank them for being supportive and enthusiastic for everyone on the team.

We have had some stobels rejected for nose radius violations which we quickly fixed with black CA, and some sand paper. We are about to register my primary V3 for David, whose new Stobel has a defective wing servo. The FAI was very accomadating of our request.

The opening ceremonies start later this afternoon and there is much to do between now and then for me. Here are a few pictures from the model processing this morning.

We have had the kiwis as our neighbors on the field for the nordic and no doubt we dont want them missing us for very long. When they were registering we decorated thier car with USA stickers. Here a shot from their rear view mirrow.
Jul 04, 2011, 09:31 AM
Charles Martin

Loka

You guys are drinking "LOCA" - the loca(l) energy drink?

Jul 04, 2011, 10:28 AM
God Created me to Create
When they check the wing do they simply run a straight line from tip to tip or do they measure down to the joint and back up.

Nice picks and I it must be great to be there even just to see all of this.

Paul
Jul 04, 2011, 11:07 AM
hot air rises...
That's pretty surprising that some Stobels would check out ok but others not? Strange...
Jul 04, 2011, 11:40 AM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
I'm guessing that only the ones that were sent overseas didn't meet the nose requirements
Jul 04, 2011, 12:27 PM
Must Luv DLG

Sharp Nose

If you've got time in the next few days, can you explain the fix for the Stobel nose radius? (sand paper & black CA)

I'm headed to the NATS next week, and if my plane fails the inspection, I'd like to know how you guys in Sweden remedied the problem. (there are lots of Stobels out there, so I'm sure there will be interest in the subject).

Thanks,
Dave Runyon
Jul 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
Dave,

You just dab on some black CA and after it cures, dab on more... creating a buildup. You can sand it back to round for cosmetics. Another method is to pour half a gram of 5 minute epoxy in the nose and then just sand the front slightly more blunt.

I don't remember them ever checking nose radius at the NATs. They COULD, but I don't remember it ever happening.
Jul 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
Bob W
Thanks for the updates and pictures guys, fly well team USA.
Bob
Jul 04, 2011, 01:20 PM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
That's pretty surprising that some Stobels would check out ok but others not? Strange...
the issue of the Stobels not all passing the specs and having variation between them was brought to light back during the TS event in October. Many people were surprised how much variation there was between "identical" models. Most of them were easy fixes though, I dont think it was an issue where they were massively off.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG