New Official F3k Team Thread! - Page 36 - RC Groups
Jul 03, 2011, 06:51 PM
Must Luv DLG

Ace

Has anyone in Sweden seen Paul Anderson? I thought that he was going to make the trip.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2011, 06:51 PM
Some pictures of tonight team USA preparation (yeap, few minutes before)

From an outsider perspective, I can see team USA take this contest very seriously and I bet they will do very well.
Best luck and thanks for all the help to Team Taiwan (Chinese Taipei)

-Kai
Jul 03, 2011, 06:55 PM
Must Luv DLG

Joe-Da-Man

Congratulations Joe Wurts for taking the Nordic Trophy.

You Rock!
Jul 03, 2011, 06:56 PM
I forgot you guys had tickets reserved for Jack.
I am glad to see the smiles on your faces. Keep up the good work. We are real proud of you all.

Storm
Jul 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like way more fun than a body should be allowed to have, especially Bruce. Thanks for the updates, stay focused, enjoy.
Dave
Jul 03, 2011, 07:23 PM
Oleg Golovidov
I had a decent start of the Nordic Cup yesterday, as Bruce said, I had 3 perfect rounds. Then I had a really bad one. In the ladder task, i did not make the field on the 1:45 flight, by about 5 feet I then launched again and did not get anything but sink. Somebody got up to 2:00 in my group...
The wind has been really deadly both yesterday and today. Going downwind is very risky and you better be in a very strong thermal several hundred feet up. Otherwise you are setting up for a very long walk in tall grass. On the downwind side of the flying field there is a hard surface runway about 130' wide. If you don't make the field by more than 10-15 feet, you are landing on the tarmac and scratching your vertical tail, unless you are close enough to catch it.
Today I again did not start the day too well. In Poker round, I flew quite well until the end of the round. With about 2:40 remaining in the window, I spotted two models high in a thermal going downwind fast, called 2:15 just to be safe and launched. Went far towards the tree line about 1/2 mile downwind, climbed a little, and started coming back. Bruce sent me to the left side and it was good until I got closer to the field. Then it became a horrible sink and I limped towards the field losing altitude by the second. I made the field but was about 5 seconds short of my 2:15 target time...
In round 6, task "3 of 6", I first made a short flight and had to come back at about 1:00, we spotted models in good lift on the left side of the field. I launched and got a 3 min flight. Every long flight is a battle even if you are in good lift. Rarely was there a time when the wind was not above 10mph at least, seemed like 15mph or more. I then made another lucky flight of 3 minutes. Then my luck ran out, I followed Mattias H downwind and nearly got a 1:30-1:40 flight except I did not make the field landed on the other side of the runway. Another mediocre score
By round 7 the promised rain came over the field. The clouds got darker, and it started drizzling occasionally. I flew my round 7 (5x2min task) in light drizzle. The main tactic was to launch high and surf without turning. This often was enough to get either a full 2:00 or close to it. Occasionally I circled in stronger bumps, but it immediately puts the model far downwind and then you have to struggle to make any progress upwind. I flew reasonably well, lost 56 seconds. I think I got beaten by Richard Swindells, but not terribly bad.
We had to pause for rain multiple times in round 7. I timed for Jun C and he also flew in drizzle, making very good times using the same tactic of surfing. Everybody was launching and just surfing upwind. Unfortunately, immediately after Jun's group they decided to call the contest. Round 7 was sratched off.
Joe won decisively with a good lead. He only had one half bad round, Poker, 875 points. The rest were either 1000 or very high 900s.
Off to shower and bed. It is 1:20am here...

Sorry for poor pics quality. I took a bad camera with me instead of my usual one, it refuses to focus and half of the pics are crappy.

==
Last edited by olgol; Jul 03, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Jul 03, 2011, 07:31 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Thanks for taking the time to post, guys. It is very much appreciated by those of us that couldn't be there!
Jul 03, 2011, 07:44 PM
Walter Roos
Congratulations to David and Joe. Joe may be flying for NewZeland , but he's still one of us. American blood runs deep. And David, well after seeing him fly at The York Contest, what a great pilot he already is, and think of his future, WoW ! go-get-um Kid !

walt
Jul 03, 2011, 08:19 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Nice work boys, thanks for.the posts. olgol, no more landouts buddy. Your game needs to.include making the field. Leave that lift sooner and get back upwind if possible...

Love you guys.

Good luck

Mike
Jul 03, 2011, 08:51 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
great picture looks like a great time keep them coming
Jul 03, 2011, 09:32 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
Great stuff guys.

Special props to David A. We're proud of you back home (just got back from a $300 cheeseburger run)

Jul 03, 2011, 09:52 PM
As long as you're having fun, you can't be doing too bad.

Thanks for the pictures! Go for it, tomorrow, and the rest of the week.

Yours, Greg
Jul 03, 2011, 09:52 PM

Off Topic

I was in Sweden a couple of years ago and bought a cheap compass in the museum. When I looked for a compass I told the clerk "I can't tell which way is North - the sun is in the wrong place!". An American tourist standing next to me laughed and agreed with me and bought one. I did that because I had trouble orienting myself to maps. It's so far North that it's really bright at night, even in the summer, night only lasts for a couple of hours.

Best of luck to our guys and it looks like that famous Kiwi, Joe Wurtz, hasn't lost his touch!

RichardS
Jul 03, 2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck team USA. Think conservative!

Wish I could of gone to film, maybe next cycle.

Nice win Joe, gives some hope to the old guys like me who no longer launch to the moon. (but we have experience!)

USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA

Paul Naton
Radio Carbon Art Productions
http://radiocarbonart.com/
http://glidefast.typepad.com/
Jul 04, 2011, 04:02 AM
Great pictures.....all of them. Reminds me of my own trip to Sweden in 1985. We were in Gothenburg on a Saturday night and I saw first one, then another old American car go cruising by. Just about the last thing I expected to see in northern Europe ! By the way,
Go USA !!!

Pete