Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Discussion

Whats This ???? Already past Noon , and no Martin Luther King thread ?


Civil Rights . We wouldnt be very Civilized without them .

Happy Martin Luther King Day
Jan 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Roger. It is more than a day away from work.
Jan 17, 2011, 11:52 AM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
Being retired I hardly know what day it is let alone a holiday. That said, happy MLK day to our emancipated brethren!

mw
Jan 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
Registered User
Buran's Avatar
Martin who?

Cool, my kid has the day off so we're going to the rentals and do some plubing work
Jan 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Lived through the civil rights movement, as well as many here.

Pretty cool it happened, and within one lifetime, produced a President.....and they said it couldn't be done.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:49 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
Personally, I don't get the MLK day thing. I understand who he was I just don't know if I think he really did that much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, maybe I wasn't old enough to really understand his impact. So far, nothing I've read about him is that compelling. Maybe some of you that do admire him can point me in the direction of a book or something that more clearly explains his contribution to the country.
Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges he never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.
Last edited by Real Ira; Jan 17, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortato
Not fair, we in the UK want a holiday too.
Don't you guys have Pied Piper Day?....When all the rats were led out to sea and drowned?
Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
Without him, and many others like him, we would still be living in a segregated Country.
Well, I always hear that but without more detail it doesn't hit that mark for me. Again, I was just a little kid when he was killed. I don't think what we learned about him in school told us much and I'll be honest and say I haven't gone looking for any more information about him on my own.
Jan 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
turn, turn, turn.
If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.
Jan 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
If you never experienced segregation, then it really wouldn't have made an impact....

Lucky you.
I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.
Jan 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
I've experienced plenty of racism but segregation isn't one of them. Maybe I should be thanking MLK for that.
Yeah....segregation sucks.
White only restaurants, bathrooms, and drinking fountains.
White schools and hospitals.
Totally sucked.
Jan 17, 2011, 01:43 PM
I don't run, hide or tell
SKYPILEIT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira
Dr. King is on my short list of heros and I am very picky about that list.

He was just an ordinary man faced with huge challenges who never flinched in the face of up to the point of it costing him his life.
If the haters would stop trying to hijack his message I believe we really could at least come close to making his dream come true.
agreed..!I have the utmost respect for MLK & the efforts he made to make racial progress...but,it does post the question,even 43 years after his death,racial relations aren't where they should be.Not even close.

We have elected an african American President,but there is soo much more to be done.More than affirmative action & minority preferencial policies..

I've often wondered how blacks feel they can try harder on their own,without jumping into a hostile attitude about all the usual complaints...law enforcement profiling AA's,etc.

Maybe a new role model is needed...wait,we've got the POTUS..right.?

Well then,why are most of young ones more concerned about being a rap star...instead of focusing upon academic achievements.?

Why isn't Rev.Jesse Jackson & Rev. Al Sharpton speaking out..when most inner cities are a cesspool of crime,drugs & dispair.?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flying in the Sydney area this weekend No 2 Thread old man emu Australia 219 Sep 21, 2014 09:25 PM
Discussion Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Republican DT56 Life, The Universe, and Politics 25 Mar 12, 2009 07:13 PM
Discussion opps, there is another thread like this one already ferincr Mini Helis 12 Aug 08, 2007 09:06 AM
The Martin Luther King You Don't See on TV NewbieX Life, The Universe, and Politics 25 Jan 24, 2003 10:13 AM