Jan 17, 2011, 07:56 AM
Discussion

bad turnigy battery?

Hi all, I own this turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C battery with a strange cell. Look at the charging process:

starting with a lower voltage it gets full earlier, and it discharges faster than the other two cells, like having one 1000mAh cell and two 2200mAh cells.

Should I throw it or is there any way to get the full capacity?
I have another identical battery from the same order, it had a strange cell until the second charge, and now it's perfect.

thank you!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2011, 09:15 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Should I throw it or is there any way to get the full capacity?
I have another identical battery from the same order, it had a strange cell until the second charge, and now it's perfect.
Perhaps cycle it a few more times. Since you have already charged it it can not be returned.

Cycling LiPolys is a highly debated issue. Some say it is necessary and beneficial. some say it helps a little, some say it is a waste of time.

I like to do fairly easy cycles on my new LiPolys as over the past 5 years I have seen performance of quality cells improve during the firsdt 25 to 50 cycles if they are not abused from the get go.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Perhaps cycle it a few more times. Since you have already charged it it can not be returned.

Cycling LiPolys is a highly debated issue. Some say it is necessary and beneficial. some say it helps a little, some say it is a waste of time.

I like to do fairly easy cycles on my new LiPolys as over the past 5 years I have seen performance of quality cells improve during the firsdt 25 to 50 cycles if they are not abused from the get go.
thank you for your answer,

I don't stress my batteries, I use a charger with balancer (accucel 6) and I have very high cut-out voltages (I usually end flight with cell around 3,7v).
What voltage should I reach when discharging the pack?
I don't have nothing to loose (and I already ordered 3 other packs) so I can experiment a bit.
Jan 17, 2011, 02:25 PM
AMA #953123
3.7 is a safe discharge level.
Jan 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
still cycling but the cell goes to 3.0v after about 1000mAh consumption.. it's strange cause this battery is exactly the same size of the other i bought.
anyone had luck with a similar battery? maybe being a 40C should I attach an huge load? this battery has already 3 flights with my 450 that I think consumes about 100w..
Jan 25, 2011, 08:00 AM
guess what is the bad cell:

of course the external package was perfect.. I think this is gonna become a 2s 2200mAh battery
Jan 25, 2011, 08:52 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Technology saved you from a fire. Gotta love the new chargers.
Good find.
Rick
Jan 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
say hello to my new 2s battery:

I'll still buy from hobbyking, 1 broken cell is ininfluent compared to the savings I had with them!
Jan 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
hmmmm...hole in pack

I had it also...but because of small crash and bad meeting with bold

cell removed and pack ended into a 2s pack