Jan 16, 2011, 09:55 PM
Halloechen aus Texas !
Thread OP
Discussion

Slope Soaring in Oregon in Early February ?

I will be in Portland from Feb 4 to Feb 8, with a chance to go slope soaring on the 6th and 7th.

I live in Texas, so i think of February as crisp, nice weather. But I realize that this may not be true for Oregon.

Is flying there at this time of the year a good idea ?
What kinds of wind speeds could be expected ?

Thank you !
Knut
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
Pat Chewning
February is still rain season in Portland, but this also means that there are regular fronts moving in from the SW which provide good slope soaring between rain showers.

It all depends on the movement of the fronts -- if Feb 6,7 are just before or just after a front, then the soaring will be good.

The best bet is to post to the "Sloping at Peterson Butte" (on R/C groups) to find out if conditions are looking good or if someone else is going, since this is the site which will most likely be suitable in Feb.

You should look at the "Portland Area Sailplane Society" for their web site with descriptions of the various slope sites.

You might also look at the "Cascade Paragliding Club" for their web site with weather links and site descriptions (many of which are also suitable for R/C).

Wind speeds at PB are "usually" in the 10-20 range. Wind speeds at the coastal sites are usually stronger.

PS: If you are willing to make a longer road trip, you could drive to Richland WA and soar at the famous Eagle Butte ....

-- Pat Chewning
Jan 17, 2011, 06:35 PM
It could be almost anything other than warm in February. Rain, probably not snow in Portland, but farther east, it could be snow. We do get some sun or just cloudy, but a lighter gray of cloudy.

I live an hour east of Portland, in the Gorge, and it tends to be drier but colder than Portland. Currently 51 degrees, which is warm for now, but clear and a 15 mph wind from the west.

We have some good slopes out here and a few guys that fly. "Trees" is a local expert, he should chime in.

We have both east and west facing slopes and we are two hours closer than Tri-Cities. Just sayin'.
Jan 18, 2011, 12:23 AM
aka KF7DS
We get consistent S, SW and SE fronts coming through PDX most of the Winter, and I have been looking for sites in the Metro area that should be good.

I am getting my first Slope plane..a Weasel...and plan on scouting out areas along Skyline Blvd, and Cooper and Bull Mountain.

A natural would be Skyline Memorial Cemetary....faces S at 980' at the top of the Tualatin Mountains...guess I could ask...the worst they could say is no.

Other ideas...Mt Scott/Sunnyside area?

Don
Jan 18, 2011, 04:39 PM
Rock Butte is great for an East wind which we get when there is high pressure off shore, but foam is best because of public and cars parked on the circular road that surrounds the elevated area area at the top. It is normally sunny and warmer in these high pressure conditions.
Jan 19, 2011, 12:50 AM
Halloechen aus Texas !
Thread OP
Thank you for all the information... I have some reading to do !

I ordered a weasel to cover the foamie options.
Other then that, I am considering bringing
  • my old Gulp SR (also foam)
  • a Slegers Condor (open class TD, but often abused on slopes),
  • possibly an FVK Bandit Sloper,
  • possibly a big old semi scale ship with a motor.
The choices depend on some repairs and test flights...

I used to travel to Corvallis now and then, to a customer. Had no idea that there was Peterson Butte nearby.

Knut
Feb 07, 2011, 03:04 AM
Halloechen aus Texas !
Thread OP

Sloping today

I got a PASS membership, and flew at the Lumber site over Hood River today. Very cold, but glorious lift.

Knut
Mar 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
Just a plane Junkie
I slope a beater DLG (sidewinder II) at Rocky Butte in North, East, and West winds. Usually have 10+ minute or unlimited length flights with any wind from 0-15 mph. I fly from the top, near the radio tower and having flaps makes it easier to avoid the all people walking around!
Mar 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Looks like I have to add South winds to that report of Rocky Butte. I just flew there for the last few hours and had a great time. I had flights up to 380' from launch height.

So, Rocky Butte, any wind, any direction. I prefer East, North or West though, as the flying areas are more clear of trees that the South side.

Cheers,
Jon
Mar 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
aka KF7DS
Well, thats great...I have been looking for somewhere close to learn to fly my Weasel (I live in NW PDX)....where do you park?

Don
Mar 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
Just a plane Junkie
At the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1
Well, thats great...I have been looking for somewhere close to learn to fly my Weasel (I live in NW PDX)....where do you park?

Don
Mar 31, 2011, 09:41 PM
aka KF7DS
Great
Apr 03, 2011, 10:32 PM
Pat Chewning
Today was Excellent SW wind about 15mph at Ecola St. park! I flew for several hours with my Zagi and Le Fish.

It was a blast!

Quick Reply