Jul 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean
MD,

If you are using the stock brushed motor still, you need the stock esc for the rudder and power check on the rx.

If you have a brushless tail setup, rudder goes to the tail esc (wk-10a-t). To get rid of the stock esc you need to make up a power check plug that simply consist of a 1kohm resistor (radio shack) and an old servo plug. I cant remember which two pins you need to connect the resistor to, but the details are some back in this thread. Maybe someone with better recollection can help me out.

Otherwise, you will need to keep the stock esc on board only for its power check plug, and thats a waste of space and weight.
POST#3733 from Navigator2011 for referance
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2012, 02:17 PM

1Kohm resistor

Entirely brushless signal converter works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I did a very, very preliminary test of the new entirely brushless signal converter. There was no way I was going to unravel all my wiring if I wasn't certain the converter would work. Well, in short, it does work. I first soldered together my new 1Kohm resistor (from Radio Shack) into a servo connector (shown below). That detail work actually took more time than everything else. I unplugged the stock ESC completely from the Rx, I plugged the new converter into the Main port of the Rx, and I plugged the BL ESC lead into the converter. Since I did not undo all my old wiring, I left the stock ESC receiving power even though it was entirely disconnected from the Rx. So, the stock ESC was isolated from the system. I decided to give things a go without the 1Kohm resistor just to verify that it's necessary. Turns out, it is necessary, there was no power to the motors without the 1Kohm resistor between the signal and (+) pins of the Check Port.

Once I plugged the resistor into the Power Check port, everything power up the way one would expect. But like I said, this was a very preliminary test. I didn't run the motor on the bird, or spool the blades, but rather I used my Alpha 400 motor which is slated to go into the 450 Pro. I didn't want any unexpected throttle bursts, or other behavior that could be dangerous. So I just held the unbolted motor carefully as I tested the throttle response, and then I made sure that the brushless tail motor would also run at the same time--all low RPM of course.

Like Dilberto reported, I got that weird beeping from the Exceed brushless ESC when the throttle was at zero. I didn't think to try increasing the throttle trim until I re-read Dilberto's post. But I did notice that the slightest little bit of throttle would stop the beeping. I thought the beeping was indicated that at zero throttle and zero throttle trim, the Exceed ESC thinks it's disconnected from the Rx. Maybe that's just a quirk of this signal converter, but I don't know.

Anyway, now that I know this converter will work, I am going to go ahead unravel all that wiring and finally remove the stock ESC.

Hey, Kdean, I will post a circuit diagram soon, but I want to my own, clearer diagram. I also don't want RC Hobby Gear to think I infringed his copyrights, either.

Edit: OK, I've got the circuit diagram uploaded now.
Attached Thumbnails Resistor plug: A 1Kohm resistor with a 1/2 Watt Tolerance, soldered to a servo connector. The resistor plug must be plugged into the Power Check port of the Rx2614V or else no power will be directed to the motors. 163.7 KB · Views: 12
An entirely brushless circuit utilizing the RC Hobby Gear Plus signal converter. 144.6 KB · Views: 23

Here it is
Last edited by segdohbird; Jul 26, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Jul 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird
Entirely brushless signal converter works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I did a very, very preliminary test of the new entirely brushless signal converter. There was no way I was going to unravel all my wiring if I wasn't certain the converter would work. Well, in short, it does work. I first soldered together my new 1Kohm resistor (from Radio Shack) into a servo connector (shown below). That detail work actually took more time than everything else. I unplugged the stock ESC completely from the Rx, I plugged the new converter into the Main port of the Rx, and I plugged the BL ESC lead into the converter. Since I did not undo all my old wiring, I left the stock ESC receiving power even though it was entirely disconnected from the Rx. So, the stock ESC was isolated from the system. I decided to give things a go without the 1Kohm resistor just to verify that it's necessary. Turns out, it is necessary, there was no power to the motors without the 1Kohm resistor between the signal and (+) pins of the Check Port.

Once I plugged the resistor into the Power Check port, everything power up the way one would expect. But like I said, this was a very preliminary test. I didn't run the motor on the bird, or spool the blades, but rather I used my Alpha 400 motor which is slated to go into the 450 Pro. I didn't want any unexpected throttle bursts, or other behavior that could be dangerous. So I just held the unbolted motor carefully as I tested the throttle response, and then I made sure that the brushless tail motor would also run at the same time--all low RPM of course.

Like Dilberto reported, I got that weird beeping from the Exceed brushless ESC when the throttle was at zero. I didn't think to try increasing the throttle trim until I re-read Dilberto's post. But I did notice that the slightest little bit of throttle would stop the beeping. I thought the beeping was indicated that at zero throttle and zero throttle trim, the Exceed ESC thinks it's disconnected from the Rx. Maybe that's just a quirk of this signal converter, but I don't know.

Anyway, now that I know this converter will work, I am going to go ahead unravel all that wiring and finally remove the stock ESC.

Hey, Kdean, I will post a circuit diagram soon, but I want to my own, clearer diagram. I also don't want RC Hobby Gear to think I infringed his copyrights, either.

Edit: OK, I've got the circuit diagram uploaded now.
Attached Thumbnails Resistor plug: A 1Kohm resistor with a 1/2 Watt Tolerance, soldered to a servo connector. The resistor plug must be plugged into the Power Check port of the Rx2614V or else no power will be directed to the motors. 163.7 KB · Views: 12
An entirely brushless circuit utilizing the RC Hobby Gear Plus signal converter. 144.6 KB · Views: 23

Here it is
i get that on the 450,if i just give a tiny bit of throttle it stops and all is well. Hey thanks for the wiring schematic !
Jul 26, 2012, 03:16 PM

long long time to ship.

Been waiting for along time for my new brushless tail motors. I see they FINALLY left Hong Kong today !! sigh !!
Jul 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
rubber heli skills
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean
MD,

If you are using the stock brushed motor still, you need the stock esc for the rudder and power check on the rx.

If you have a brushless tail setup, rudder goes to the tail esc (wk-10a-t). To get rid of the stock esc you need to make up a power check plug that simply consist of a 1kohm resistor (radio shack) and an old servo plug. I cant remember which two pins you need to connect the resistor to, but the details are some back in this thread. Maybe someone with better recollection can help me out.

Otherwise, you will need to keep the stock esc on board only for its power check plug, and thats a waste of space and weight.
This is what i have.
2 v400's total brushless on both. an extra tail ESC off of a 59dq wk-10-a-t a extra tail brushless motor 3 extra hitec5055mg extra RX, extra main brushless motor and esc. all the extra ele. parts are going into the v450proH02 kit.
One of the fuselaged helis i am putting new parts on it and i am selling it. The stock esc will remain on that one. the 2 converters are going on the other fuselage v400 and the other is going on the v450proH02.
I started the build today so i will take pictures. going good so far. Tested the electronics..with some reversing a have all the servos moving in the right directions including throttle pitch.
Jul 26, 2012, 08:47 PM

withdrawls !!

Im having them bad ! I look at the superbluev400 and want to fly it !! new tail motor coming, i look at the 450 and want to at least hover it ! Got new servo horn coming.
i look at my superv400 with new servos and want to fly ! waiting for new brushless setup ! ahhh hey ill fly the madhawk 300 !!
Jul 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
rubber heli skills

V450proH02

I started the build. Not much of a build because the kit was almost already assembled. Here is where i am at now. Main shaft,swash,main gear,tailboom,landing gear,servos,and Rx installed.
Thanks to segdohbird for posting navigators post on the ebay chip, i spooled up the electronics and it works. I took all the screws out and loc-tite them in.
I found a way to install the brushless tail motor,but i am going to install it into a fuselage so it will be different to a canopy version.I will show picts as i go along.
I took all the tail gears out of the frame as i will not be needing those to make it lighter. Here are some pictures.

Here is a pict of one of my other V400's that crashed. It had a fuselage on it and the wood outlasted the metal parts of the frame.
Jul 27, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the pix MD, it's looking good....I'm still up in the air on which kit I'm going to order. Still trying to make up my mind between to Pro and the Sport. Any(bodys) input would be appreicated when you get time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200776576170...84.m1436.l2649
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280928192874...84.m1436.l2649

Or, after hitting the curb on a early flight this morning I may just get the bare frame and move everything over...I should know better than to fly in the cul-de-sac.
Jul 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
Folding Spacetime
I think you should go with the pro because it is flybarless, which the rx2614 is designed for.
Jul 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011
I think you should go with the pro because it is flybarless, which the rx2614 is designed for.
Yes your right...Thankx Nav
Jul 27, 2012, 03:27 PM

crash results

When you guys crash one, say just a blade hit, hard enough to break servo arm and bend feather shaft. do you redo your setup from bottom up ? reset all servo rods and servo ect ? re-level swash and reset all your pitch,s ?
Jul 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
You should not have too. Just replace feathering shaft, then replace servo arm at 90° mid stick. But do a good inspection of everything, main shaft, main gear, blade grips, links, etc to be sure nothing else is wrong before flying it again.
Jul 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
They call me plan B
Yes looking great. I love the idea. But i have spare parts and the v4everframe. So i may have a v400 for a while. It is time i double up my frames.
I really want to work on inverted piros this weekend, but i may chicken out when i get to the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeutschman
I started the build. Not much of a build because the kit was almost already assembled. Here is where i am at now. Main shaft,swash,main gear,tailboom,landing gear,servos,and Rx installed.
Thanks to segdohbird for posting navigators post on the ebay chip, i spooled up the electronics and it works. I took all the screws out and loc-tite them in.
I found a way to install the brushless tail motor,but i am going to install it into a fuselage so it will be different to a canopy version.I will show picts as i go along.
I took all the tail gears out of the frame as i will not be needing those to make it lighter. Here are some pictures.

Here is a pict of one of my other V400's that crashed. It had a fuselage on it and the wood outlasted the metal parts of the frame.
Jul 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
Quick Survey---------Blades
What are most of you guys using for Main Blades other than stock
Should I go with 325mm carbon fiber or ???
Jul 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
Exi cf 325mm pro3D, $7 a pair, never looked back. One day i'll splurge on some edge or align fbl blades, but not while i'm still learning how to crash.

Quick Reply