Nov 04, 2011, 10:03 PM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
Here is part one of the 'how to' i did with the 5055 servos. You can find part two in my blog, along with some other interesting things i tried with the v400.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421852
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2011, 10:29 PM
Folding Spacetime
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
The best thing about these frames is durability. They can take a hit, and the little parts that do break are easy to find and cheap.

What elecs are you going to use? Are you going with a 2702v rx?
Yes, the durability of the frame was a big factor in my decision, also the pitched tail being powered powered by the main motor. I don't really want to fuss with DD tails anymore.

Another thing that pushed me towards the bigger 450 is it's more wind resistant, and that I'm just plain ole burned out on little helis. I've been struggling with this infernal CB100 and it's endlessly twitching tail -- the last thing I need is to get a small cp heli with the same bloody problem.

Yes, I'm going with a Walkera Rx. That way I can use my Tx2801 Pro. I was thinking about going with the Rx2618--I've heard that it's one of the good guys. As for the rest of the electronics, well I might just use what I already have on hand: Alpha 400 motor, Hobbywing 30A ESC, and extra EXI 213f servos. I know this is not the best of the best, but I'm on a budget and I already have this stuff laying around the garage. I figure I can always upgrade things as I become more familiar with the heli.
Nov 04, 2011, 11:44 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Here is part one of the 'how to' i did with the 5055 servos. You can find part two in my blog, along with some other interesting things i tried with the v400.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421852
Nice read.

I think i'll opt for the 5055's and try mounting them with twisted solid core wire. Sounds crazy but I reckon it should do.

Was originally gonna get the exi 213, but the shipping from Hobbypartz and xheli is like $30 to my country.

Unfortunately, only xheli and Hobbypartz seem to sell them.
Nov 04, 2011, 11:44 PM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
Hey Nav, and anyone else ready to make that next step in helis

This is the thread I started on Walkera rx based clones and other frames.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1473111

Not as big as this thread yet, only 40 pages, but full of helpfull info on setting up with walkera rx's.
Nov 04, 2011, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Yes, the durability of the frame was a big factor in my decision, also the pitched tail being powered powered by the main motor. I don't really want to fuss with DD tails anymore.

Another thing that pushed me towards the bigger 450 is it's more wind resistant, and that I'm just plain ole burned out on little helis. I've been struggling with this infernal CB100 and it's endlessly twitching tail -- the last thing I need is to get a small cp heli with the same bloody problem.

Yes, I'm going with a Walkera Rx. That way I can use my Tx2801 Pro. I was thinking about going with the Rx2618--I've heard that it's one of the good guys. As for the rest of the electronics, well I might just use what I already have on hand: Alpha 400 motor, Hobbywing 30A ESC, and extra EXI 213f servos. I know this is not the best of the best, but I'm on a budget and I already have this stuff laying around the garage. I figure I can always upgrade things as I become more familiar with the heli.
I'm a bit off topic here, but regards your cb100, are you still using the stock tail motor? Also, is there a cable tie around your receiver?

My cb100 was terribly twitchy until I removed the cable tie. I also place a drop of bearing oil down the tail motor wire entrance once every dozen flights. It's seen around 150 flights now and the tail is holding well and solid.
Some others have found this to be a fix too.
Nov 05, 2011, 01:21 AM
Folding Spacetime
Hi Kdean, thanks for the link. I'm for sure going to be doing a lot of reading there in the near future.

Damo, yes I removed the zip-tie around the Rx based on what I have learned about the V400 on this thread, and that did make a huge difference. But then, I had a hard crash. So, I went ahead and rebuilt the CB100 and have been struggling with tail blow-outs ever since. I'll go ahead and put some oil down the wire inlet to the stock motor. Thanks for that advice, that's one thing I haven't yet done.
Nov 06, 2011, 08:04 AM
They call me plan B
So i was filling the nose with rubber dip ( for better cg) and it ate thru my canopy. New canopy on the way! But it looks really cool with the v450 canopy on it.
Nov 06, 2011, 11:53 AM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
Winds at 18mph gusting well over 20mph. I wont be takeing my V400 #2 out today. I'll give the 450 pro #2 fbl a try and see how that goes. I really wanted to practice some inverted flying today, but dont want to risk the wind tipping me out of my comfort zone. Might have to do circuts only with the 500. We'll see if things die down by 3 o'clock.
Nov 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
They call me plan B
It was a great heli day. And like kdean said , the v450 cuts the wind , but the v400 was great also. I got a few batteries in with all my walkera helis(3).
Nov 06, 2011, 09:31 PM
Human Being
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Hi Kdean, thanks for clarifying. Yes, I thought you mentioned that the tail could not keep up when using a regular signal converter. I'm looking forward to seeing your final set up.

Meanwhile, guys I pulled the trigger on this flybarless 450 Pro clone:

http://www.clubheli.com/450-PRO-Clon...um_p_3567.html

I plan to build this one slowly & carefully whilst frequently flying my V400.
congrats! i look forward to hearing updates about your build on kdean's other thread.

speaking of which, hope the wind died down for ya kdean and you got some flying in today.

I got some flight time in on the 3gx. Finally got it dialed in good and it's pretty solid now, so I'm officially done with that build I had some slight tail wag issues, then the elevator gyro was a little too high. There are a lot of different settings so i spent quite a while playing with them. So far i'm at 6 batteries through that heli, not counting the ones that were just hovering to get basic settings correct, and it is solid as a rock (well, a rock that can fly, that is... )

Today i spent some more time fixing up one of my coworkers helicopters. It's a trex 450x that he bought about 10 years ago on a trip in taiwan. It's mostly plastic, but has a pretty nice brushless motor and good servos etc, and the servo setup is completely different that the v400 and my 450pro's. Through the mechanical setup, one servo tilts the swash left/right, the other front/back, and the other controls the full up/down movement of the swashpate (in order that's aileron, elevator, and pitch, which makes more sense why they are called that on this heli)

He couldn't find his tx for it, so i pulled the 2801 rx off my 3gx (hated to do that since it's flying so good now, but it should be just a plug and play when i want to put it back). I managed to get his heli up and hovering in my garage, but the tail is belt driven, and i'm having a hard time keeping the belt tension up. The tail boom is slipping causing it to lose tension, and at least one of the screws is stripped in the plastic, so i put the green align glue on those screws and i'm now waiting for them to dry. I might try hovering again tonight, and if all goes well i'll take it to work tomorrow and go out to a field to show him what that heli can do. He bought this heli and gave up on it before he really learned how to fly, but maybe i can talk him into picking it back up if i demo it zipping around the field
Nov 06, 2011, 11:54 PM
Human Being
I placed the order for the fusonic servos for my v400, so i'll let you all know how they work once i get them in. I also hovered my coworkers heli again, and this time the tail rotor assembly came loose, but i was able to land before any damage was done. fyi, don't get plastic parts if you don't have to, they don't seem to hold screws in place, even with super glue. I went ahead and ordered a new belt driven metal copterx tail and i think it'll fit so hopefully i'm right.
Nov 07, 2011, 12:27 AM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
Sounds like you got your hands full with the little side project dilberto.

I did get some flying time today but it was not fun. I'll continue the story on the other thread cause the v400 was not involved.
Nov 07, 2011, 07:43 AM
Fusonic is what i'm using on my 450. It seems to be a good servo. Twitched and buzzed a lot until i set the servo travel. Although i haven't used any other brand tail servo to compare it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
I placed the order for the fusonic servos for my v400, so i'll let you all know how they work once i get them in. I also hovered my coworkers heli again, and this time the tail rotor assembly came loose, but i was able to land before any damage was done. fyi, don't get plastic parts if you don't have to, they don't seem to hold screws in place, even with super glue. I went ahead and ordered a new belt driven metal copterx tail and i think it'll fit so hopefully i'm right.
Nov 07, 2011, 10:39 AM

Fusonic servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
Fusonic is what i'm using on my 450. It seems to be a good servo. Twitched and buzzed a lot until i set the servo travel. Although i haven't used any other brand tail servo to compare it with.
My flying buddy at work uses the FUSONIC MG-D-9257 for the tail /rudder servo on his V450 and it' been really good ,it won't even gets warm at all. I have 1 on stand-by for my V450.
Nov 07, 2011, 12:06 PM
BahamaHeli
Thread OP
It looks like fusonics are a good "cheap" choice. I'll put some on my x-mas list.

Quick Reply