Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by TravisBean
Have Guitar Will Travel
Discussion

Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM Solid State Hybrid

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...5207251&sr=8-1

Worth the cost to upgrade to this laptop HD ?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Lightnin
Non-Discriminatory User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...5207251&sr=8-1

Worth the cost to upgrade to this laptop HD ?
It depends, is the rest of your system capable of taking advantage of those transfer rates?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
Lenovo T61, XP pro, T9300 CPU.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Lenovo T61, XP pro, T9300 CPU.
Yup - think you'd notice better boot up times as long as you've got enough memory (although XP is limited to 3G).

Expensive thing to buy, though...
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by cobalt
I don't know anything about hybrid drives really, just haven't been paying attention lately but I would hazard a guess that a true SSD would be light-years faster. So if you don't need that much space I'd go true SSD. I like OCZ, Mushkin or Intel, all have terrific support which is sometimes a necessity with SSD tech.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:04 PM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I don't know anything about hybrid drives really, just haven't been paying attention lately but I would hazard a guess that a true SSD would be light-years faster. So if you don't need that much space I'd go true SSD. I like OCZ, Mushkin or Intel, all have terrific support which is sometimes a necessity with SSD tech.
Agreed!

Better if you can have a true SSD as a Boot drive (smallish drive) and a 'normal' drive for bulk file and app storage.

Being a laptop you get restricted to a single drive!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:38 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
Agreed!

Better if you can have a true SSD as a Boot drive (smallish drive) and a 'normal' drive for bulk file and app storage.

Being a laptop you get restricted to a single drive!
Not true with the Lenovo T61. I can remove the DVDRW and configure it hold a second HD instead.

On a different note, you sure can get alot of laptop these days for under $500. Check out this Asus witha Hybrid HD for $479. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=1218291998082
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Not true with the Lenovo T61. I can remove the DVDRW and configure it hold a second HD instead.

On a different note, you sure can get alot of laptop these days for under $500. Check out this Asus witha Hybrid HD for $479. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...=1218291998082
If you are happy to loose your CD drive (or use a USB attach one), then I'd go for a smaller (cheaper?) true-SSD, say 60G, for your boot system, and keep the rest of your files on a big secondary drive.

That way you get the boot speed, save some money, and still get large storage.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
What do you think of that Asus for $479? I've got a friend who's looking to replace an outdated Sony Vaio, and he's looking for an entry level/mid-grade computer.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:45 PM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
What do you think of that Asus for $479? I've got a friend who's looking to replace an outdated Sony Vaio, and he's looking for an entry level/mid-grade computer.
Looks a nice laptop.

Decent sized storage, mid sized screen (but at 16" not as big as you could get) and a hybrid hard drive one so should be quicker for boot up, 3GB memory which is fine (and I believe the max that Win 7 32bit can use is 4GB anyway), useful Dual-Layer DVD writer and other bits (webcam, memory card reader).

Has Win 7 (thank God, rather than naff Vista!)

Dunno about value for money (as I don't know about US prices) but looks OK.

Only thing I would be suspicious of is the 4hrs battery. manufacturers normally quote more than you actually get, so I suspect 2-3hrs - which is not that great.