This thread is privately moderated by SPasierb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
Team PowerBox Systems
Thread OP
Discussion

1:3 scale Alexander Schleicher GmbH & Co. ASK 18

First flown in 1974, the full scale Alexander Schleicher GmbH & Co. ASK 18 was designed by Rudolf Kaiser (the K in the aircraft designation). Its known to be a big, tough, docile sailplane and was the last of the AS sailplanes to use traditional construction methods.

The fabric-covered fuselage has roots back to the Ka8 and is comprised of welded steel tube and spruce longerons with only the nose area in fiberglass. The wings are 16 meters and have wooden spars and plywood covered ailerons. Tail surfaces come from the K10. It has a fixed (non-retractable) main wheel with a brake and no tail wheel, rather a simple skid.

This model, orignially constructed some time ago by Tom Augustine of California, is a 1/3rd scale replica with a slightly stretched wingspan of 5.3 meters (209 inches tip to tip). The fuselage is by Rosenthal and the wing a kit from Bayer CNC Modellbautech. Airfoil is a HQ 3-15. Control surfaces are rudder, elevator, ailerons and airbrakes. A standard tube tow release is fitted in the nose. Wing surfaces are covered in fabric with paint accents while the fuselage in PPG automotive paint. A 1:3 scale Alex pilot bust is fitted in the cockpit.

Last winter I refinished the fuselage, updated servos, detailed the wings and tails, and replaced all the switches/fuselage wiring. Today the plane operates on 2.4G on 2x 5000 Ni-Cad packs for redundancy.

While my personal tastes tend toward the need for speed, this beautiful ASK fits my fleet well as the one big beautiful slow floater that tows well, thermals well and lands well. It can give a nasty tip stall that takes a good bit of altitude to recover if flown tooo slow! Other than a big safe loop, this plane is not suited or structured for aerobatics.

Last edited by SPasierb; Aug 24, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
Rather nice looking glider. Do you know whether this was an kit?

Tuomas
Jan 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Team PowerBox Systems
Thread OP
Good point! I'll add that to the first post. Mine is a Rosenthal fuselage and a Bayer CNC Modellbautech wing kit.

Here is the 5M ASK 18 on Bayer's site. http://www.cnc-modellbautechnik.de/e...&category_id=6

At 1295 Euro ($1730 US) it's not too friendly on the pocketbook! Just the wing kit of the milled wood parts only is available for 495 Euro. Not sure what it might cost you shipped to Finland.
Last edited by SPasierb; Jan 16, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Jan 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
Ouch. That is not so good price.

But. Then again, life is short and then you die. Have to think about it.

Nice looking ship, good craftmanship :-).

Tuomas

Quick Reply