Jan 15, 2011, 03:01 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro Magic - Official thread

I am starting this thread as a result of a post on another thread regarding choices for a new RC sailboat. In that thread as you would image, there were a good number of suggestions.

I found the suggestion from "flatlandsailor" to be of particular interest to me, and thought that this boat merited it's own thread. I have included his comments for you to read. I incourage you to make comments and share any insights you have on these very cool boats.

In his comments he provides links to several good starting points for those interested in these very nifty boats.

Once I develop a better understanding of these boats and the choices/options that are out there, I am going to have one. I really like the appearence of the Carbon Fiber Edition.

Please take a few minutes to read his comments and visit the link. Please post your comments, photos, experiences etc. I will start this off with a few pictures to get the juices flowing.

"The Micro Magic is small (21") but sails as well as many larger boats. The class is growing steadily in the USA, having over 165 registered skippers in just 3 years of existence. This joins the over 4000 boats worldwide and in the International Class which--aside from the IOM, is probably the fastest growing class of boats on the planet.

Here are some helpful links to gather more info...

http://www.usa.magicmicro.org (USA class site)

http://www.int.magicmicro.org/news.php (International Class Site)

"If you scroll to the bottom of either of these sites you'll see some country flags. Each of those flags represents a website for a national section of the international class--over 12 countries! Some are in other languages, but the international and UK sites are both in English as are the Australian and obviously the USA site. There are tons of resources on these sites as this boat is truly a worldwide phenomenon!

In the USA kits can be obtained from Graupner USA,

Andy -- USA Class Secretary
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2011, 06:39 PM
My favorite MM video found on the internet

http://www.mm-sailing.de/mm-hp/videos/mm_extreme.wmv
Jan 15, 2011, 09:49 PM
I looked into the Micro Magic a few years ago and found this video which I still like to watch.

Blokzeilers 3 (4 min 8 sec)
Jan 16, 2011, 07:15 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Lots of info on building them on the web http://www.freewebs.com/peterbsmicromagic/

It's a great little boat, IMO how it does in the USA depends on on whether the larger RG 65 (650mm/25.5" hull length) class becomes popular..but there are no mass market kits yet.
Jan 16, 2011, 08:39 AM
Useful Idiot
The RG65 is more suitable for builders and trying out new ideas, although some kits/hulls are commercially available, whereas the MM needs a little assembly work and your'e then sailing almost the same boat as everyone else. Neither boat is a recognised ISAF class.
Jan 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Seems that here in Australia at the moment the Micro Magic seems to be in very short supply. Probably the distributors as it seems that often here locally, models are brought in and then when sold out, they aren't commonly available again until a re-order, or worse still they aren't brought in again.

I've been holding out for a locally produced 650 design by Gospectre, but it seems to be taking forever for them to appear. I am now considering doing a footy and waiting to see if the 650's gain enough of a following to get one. I believe this boat (650) may fit the RG65 class mentioned by Martin and Dekan above. There is apparently going to be 3 designs of the boat available in the end with what is described as a skiff deck (I believe), organic deck and flat deck. There is a thread on here covering them to a degree (search under IACC65) and a yahoo group for them as well.

Also looking at doing a footy style yacht, just for something small and transportable.

Now back to the Micro Magic's, I've read several reports of the Carbon Edition's having issues with the hatch not fitting to well, can anyone shed any light on this?
Jan 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
Useful Idiot
Merkava, Basically the only rules Andrew has to worry about with his 650 designs meeting RG65 specs are as follows:
a) hull length overall 650 mm + 5mm
b) max mast height 1100 mm measured from sheer line
c) max sail area 2250 cm^2
d) 5 mm elastomer bumper
The full rules are on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RG65SailboatsUS/files/
For the micromagic, have a look at http://www.magicmicro.org/news.php There's no doubt that it's a very good quality kit and has become very popular indeed.
Jan 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Jan 16, 2011, 06:32 PM
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.
Jan 16, 2011, 08:12 PM
There is talk and a push for MM's to be recognised in Australia as an affordable entry class boat.
See links below, it started with this thread on the ARYA forum
http://rc-yachts.net/smf/index.php?topic=614.0
and carries on in this thread
http://rc-yachts.net/smf/index.php?topic=622.0
Jan 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have to agree with many of the comments made by posters in the first thread link 8387mike posted. I honestly believe that Australia needs a 'low cost' beginers boat class, and probably one that doesn't allow for out of control development costs (be it materials etc) to end up pricing it out of what it should be, a class where entry into the sport / hobby is affordable.

I know affordable is a relative term, with living costs and all manner of other things taking up precious income from 'younger' adults, spending a couple of grand on a model is just going to force most people to look elsewhere.

I think the RG-65 class would be good, but probably only if limits were set on hull materials etc, as many of the top level boats being used overseas can cost more than what an entry level boat should cost.

I guess that only leaves some 'off the shelf' boats like the MM etc left as options. Or, perhaps the ARYA should as a national body look at having some moulds etc made and having a hull, deck, keel and rudder set made for an existing RG-65 design or designs. Probably only one would be practical in reality. There must be something that could be done to create a decent, affordable class of boat for newbies to get into the sport. I think one potential benefit of selecting an RG-65 type boat is that it would at least resemble the IOM's that the serious fella's compete with.

I'm still wondering why a company like Thunder Tiger, Robbe, Graupner or similar hasn't offered a RG-65 ABS or similar hull set (hull, deck, servo / electronics tray, keel and rudder) and then the owner could source there own rigging (radiosailingshop) has an RG-65 rig kit for $99.00 dollars. Surely if a Victoria can be produced for what it sells for then the actual cost to mould an RG-65 design couldn't be any higher even if things like carbon fibre was used for the rudder shaft etc.

I think the closest thing to this is what Andrew (Gospectre) is working on with his 650 designs.

I'm no expert in such things, but the above is my perspective of the situation in Australia with regards to a 'starters class'.
Jan 16, 2011, 11:12 PM
Suspended Account

Carbon Edition

I'm in the proess of building the Carbon Edition Micro Magic as a Racing Boat.

Hopefully I can get the weights down sufficiently to make it viable in Light Air.

I have put together some of the comparisons to date in case you are interested.

http://aus.magicmicro.org/e107_plugi...topic.php?2662

Find most of the helpful Info & Building Tips on different Country Websites. Most guys are very helpful

Cheers

John
Jan 16, 2011, 11:54 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
John
Really interesting data. The keel looks about as good as one good hope for
Not wanting to order two boat kits to make one, it looks like the standard
ABS kit might be the light best base to build from. The film they put on the ABS
to give the carbon fiber look, at least in the photos would fool most people.

I kind of like the look of the carbon fiber "like" hull and standard white deck. I will look forward to your future posts.

Thank you
Boomer
Jan 17, 2011, 01:05 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
John
Not wanting to order two boat kits to make one, it looks like the standard
ABS kit might be the light best base to build from.

Boomer

Boomer

The Carbon Look is a good strong Hull, with a few small issues, and can be turned into a good Race Boat as it is.. I'm building mine as a hybrid just for something to tinker with.

The 90g difference is hard to overcome but in heavy weather conditions it is on par with anything.

You can do away with all wood reinforcement & a lighter main plank so that helps. On the standard ABS Kit most of the Internal Wood has little function and can be discarded. See the UK site for more info.

If you ask the Guys for Internal Layout Photos & ideas you will get lots of links or other ideas.

Currently I have 3 Boats up & running & 3 in various stages of construction. Gives me a good platform to try different things to see what works & what doesn't.

I am working on a Clip arrangement to do away with the Boom Clamps..

http://aus.magicmicro.org/e107_plugi...topic.php?2885

My Phylosophy with the Micro Magic is to use Kit Components & Spares to do any modifications. Simple Wire Clew Hooks & silicone tubing can make the boom fittings simpler.

Invest in some 1200 wet & dry paper & lightly polish any moving parts. You'll find binding & friction are greatly reduced.

The Class is based on Having Fun & Participation so I can recommend building your first boat in line with the Kit. Only Upgrade I suggest is a Pushrod for Steering. I think you will find Andy a mine of information & help is never far away.

5 @ AAA's (900mah) for battery approx 65g is good enough for a full days sailing.

A bog standard boat out of the Box will perform as well as most modified ones.

Feel free to join the MM websites all over the world. Ask questions & let us all enjoy & learn from the answers. All part of the MM Experience

Cheers

John
Jan 17, 2011, 04:56 AM
Last edited by jpparisy; Mar 04, 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Let americans alone.

Quick Reply