Sep 20, 2017, 10:50 AM
Great news! The MM v2 kits are now in stock at Graupner US which is what precipitated the recent build thread.
Here is a link to the "Workshop" page of the MM International web site where you can find links to a number of excellent notes, in English, on building the v2 kit.
For bonding the deck to hull of a MM I recommend UHU Hart adhesive which can be purchased online. Epoxies don't bond well to ABS and can separate over time unless you have sufficiently roughed up both mating surfaces. UHU Hart is an acrylic based adhesive that gives about a 3- minute window for bonding and makes an excellent joint.
I have not seen the latest v2 kits, hopefully Graupner SJ have continued to make small improvements. I'm sure Class Sec Greg Norris will be monitoring this thread and will be interested in any photos since he built one of the last of the previous v2 kits and would like to know of any changes.
Also Issue #188 of AMYA's quarterly magazine "Model Yachting" has a number of excellent articles about building MM kits. If you join AMYA www.theAMYA.org you can purchase copies of back issues as well as receive future issues.
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 08:59 PM
Landlocked Sailing Addict

Micro Magic Fun in Australia

Hi All

I've been sailing Micro Magics since 2010. The class got off to a great start in Australia with very strong, enthusiastic groups of sailors in various clubs in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. Pretty soon a national association was formed and every year a national championship was held.

Unfortunately, due to the unavailability of kits and spare parts, and the emergence of cheaper, easier to build yachts such as the DF 65 and DF 95, interest in Micro Magics as a national class waned. The last national titles were held in 2014.

There are still enclaves of skippers scattered around the country who are devoted to this beautiful little boat - but it tends to be raced more on a social, club oriented basis now.

I race a DF 95 now, but I still have my Micro Magic and I always take it with me on holidays to play - it's so easy to transport and a lot of fun to sail in various locations around the globe. It's been to Germany, Japan, Indonesia and most parts of Australia.

Below is a link (I couldn't get the URL to attach to the post) to some footage of a bit of messing around at Hamilton Island in Queensland - it certainly generated a bit of interest on the beach!

I'm using the original Icarex kit sails here (this boat is out of the original Mark II kit) - but I also bring along all my Mylar racing rigs in case it gets a bit strong for the 'A' rig.

I've also attached a photo of her racing with one of the Mylar rigs in more competitive times...........

Cheers!

Karl

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...vR9PXAj3r4XoQ9
Last edited by Karlthevet; Oct 30, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Nov 17, 2017, 08:13 PM
I have gotten back on my Micro magic and wanted to paint it before I put the sails on. Its painted and I cant find anywhere that tells me how high the mast is to be ?? Can anyone help ????'

A couple pics to show you how the paint came out !!
Nov 17, 2017, 08:19 PM
Kevin Gault
Great paint-job Dick!

From the class rules: 4.10 The maximum distance from the deck to the top of the mast is 780mm.

Complete rule set is here: http://micromagic.info/?page_id=111

Kevin
Nov 17, 2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks Kevin on both accounts !!!!! That really helps !!!
Nov 18, 2017, 10:18 AM
Very nice !!!
Nov 20, 2017, 02:54 PM
First time its had 2 sails on it, its not done yet BUT its close !!!
Nov 20, 2017, 07:52 PM
Now that it only needs a rudder, where do I register it and get my racing numbers ?????
Nov 20, 2017, 10:01 PM

Register Micro Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick J
Now that it only needs a rudder, where do I register it and get my racing numbers ?????
Hi Dick,

The Class sec is Greg Norris

You will need to send him a $7.0 check

Address:

PO Box 1413
Paonia,
CO 81428

Phone 970 221-4112
gsnorris@gmail.com

Welcome to the class.

MM NCR in Feb 2018 in Punta Gorda FL.
Nov 20, 2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks Blackrock !!!! Will contact him tomorrow !!!
Nov 21, 2017, 06:11 PM
do not put the shrouds , he breathes better ;-)
Nov 21, 2017, 06:59 PM
shrouds ?????????
Nov 21, 2017, 10:13 PM
Well shes water tight !!!!! Thanks Jeff for the use of the pool !!
Nov 22, 2017, 01:35 PM
Yosef Sailor
I recently moved to The Netherlands and have found a nice lake nearby to sail. As expected, the winds here are quite strong and I want to get a second set of sails. I am not sure if a "B" set is small enough or should I go with a "C" set.

Any input from the thread would be appreciated.

Also, in addition to my MM, I have a Seawind, Nirvana, Footy and an IOM and looking for a local club.

Thanks,
DW

Quick Reply