Jan 14, 2011, 02:20 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
New Product

Mini War Birds from Sky Angel ~ 03/29/15 ~ Video of ME163 Kraftei!

Sky Angel, a JPower company, will soon be releasing a series of mini war birds. Banana Hobby had samples of several of the models to be released at the 2011 AMA Expo last weekend. Here are a few photos of the various models to be released. I hope to get samples in the next few weeks and will post media here and additional details as I get them.

EDIT (2/28/11) ~ Videos and more stills added

EDIT (3/20/2011) ~ Photos of three more models added ... P40, P47 and F4U

EDIT (3/27/2011) ~ Spitfire Video added

EDIT (6/29/11) ~ Next four models (F4U,F4F, P-40 and P-47) received; Photos posted in my RCG Blog HERE

EDIT (7/15/11) ~ Studio photos of F4F added

EDIT (7/16/11) ~ Inflight photos of F4F and P-47

EDIT (7/23/11) ~ Inflight photos of F4U added

EDIT (8/06/11) ~ Studio photos of P-40 added

EDIT (8/06/11) ~ In-Flight shots of P-40 added

EDIT (8/11/11) ~ New mini war bird models coming next confirmed : A1 Skyraider, Sea Fury and the P-38!! Photos coming soon hopefully!

EDIT (8/11/11) ~ Replacement cowls for Rare Bear, servo covers (and other cool plastic parts too!) available from GLM @ MorganRC

EDIT (10/20/11) ~ Box art artwork for new A1 Skyraider and Sea Fury added

EDIT (10/31/11) ~ How To Successfully Launch these War Birds ~ How To Successfully Hand Launch Your RC Models

EDIT (11/05/11) ~ Studio Photos of the Skyraider and Sea Fury ~ HDFlyer Workbench Update ~ Skyraider and Sea Fury

EDIT (11/05/11) ~ A sample of the new Mini P-38 is on the way and in US Customs. We hope to have it in the next few days, depending on how long the boys in blue want to ogle it!

EDIT (12/03/12) ~ P-38 Has Arrived! First photos of kit:

EDIT: (09/03/12) ~ Studio Photos of Grob and PC21added HERE

EDIT: (01/14/15) Studio Photos of ME163 Kraftei added HERE

EDIT: (02/16/15) ME163 Maiden Flight added HERE

EDIT: (03/29/15) ME163 on 4S - Video added below and HERE

Techone Hobby ME-162 Kraftei (2 min 41 sec)

Sky Angel Mini War Bird ~ Rare Bear (2 min 0 sec)

Sky Angels Mini War Bird ~ T-28 Trojan (6 min 57 sec)

Sky Angels Mini WarBird Series MeBf109 (6 min 54 sec)

Sky Angel Mini Spitfire (2 min 22 sec)

Sony AX2000 Smoth Slow Record Mode Sample Clips (1 min 7 sec)

(Slo Mo launch of the Corsair ~ last clip on the video)

Sky Angel Skyraider Mini War Bird (2 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Bajora; Mar 30, 2015 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
Nice! Will these have brushed or brushless motors?
Andy
Jan 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Brushless for sure.
Jan 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
So far not very impressed... way out of scale

Why does J-Power seems to do far better jobs with EDF rather than with Warbirds ??

Everyone complains on the poor quality of the P38 and P51D while the EDF have always been much better appreciated ....
Jan 14, 2011, 07:09 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
What wing span are we looking at?
Jan 14, 2011, 07:18 PM
Suspended Account
and that color on the 109 is really ugly saw it at the ama show
Jan 14, 2011, 07:19 PM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
yeap, they are not nice looking birds, maybe you get them free with Happy Meals
Latest blog entry: My Channel
Jan 14, 2011, 08:58 PM
They are even uglier in real life. Saw them at the last AMA show and they are horrifically out of scale. Not even remotely close. It would be a shame if they are really JPower because even the foam quality was very poor. Too bad; these could have been great. I would have bought 2 or 3 myself.
Feb 01, 2011, 12:59 PM
You guys are super critical. I have to say something here and I am going to. I hear many of you gripe about "SCALE SCALE SCALE" all over the boards. Although I do know what you are saying and looking at, I have to disagree with many of your harsh comments. If you want SCALE, go buy a PLASTIC model kit from Tamiya and build and sit it on your table. Am I going to be harsh here, I sure am. For those of you that have NO CLUE how much work and what the process is that goes into making a "chunk of foam" actually FLY and perform well, I hope those of you will sit back and stop some of the "Scale" bashing some.

This new line of J-Power Mini Warbirds are Superb. In many instances, there is NO WAY to 100% Scale Down a full size aircraft to an RC size and have it actually FLY. Having said that, now we scale them down even further to a Mini size. Every aspect of the aircraft from aerodynamics to each size of the wing to the fuselage changes to make a Great Flying Aircraft. Please do not compare these models to those of Parkzone. These Mini's are not the FOAM Parkzone utilizes. These are EPO and have an airfoil on the main wings. You all want durability so we chose EPO. With EPO comes with additional weight which will change design concepts once again. With the Mini size, it makes a flying model all the more difficult.

The key point in these Mini Warbirds are affordability and performance. They are not 100% "True to Scale" as many of you want. However, having said that, when you look at the AT-6, you know it is an AT-6. When you look at the P-51, she's a P-51. Some of you are making it sound like these flying models are so horrific that you can hardly recognize them. Personally, I am Super excited about this line. The AT-6 looks fantastic as do the Rare Bare and the P-51. All across the board they look great. There are still color changes of course for a few of the models such as the 109. This is the problem when I bring preproduction samples to a show. It is to "show" what is coming. Not for bashing about color, scale, etc. I know this is an open forum and people are free to say what you wish. By all means, go for it. Hence I chose to speak what I feel. The warbirds come in a squarish box needing only the tail section to be glued. Depending on model, a 11.1v 20C 850mAh is included for under $100.00 US dollars. I have flown the Rare Bare and the AT-6 already. You have to see this performance in person to know what I am talking about. The Rare Bare is pushing 80mph on a level pass all BOX STOCK. Performance is nothing like I have ever seen in this size and price ever. Here are a few pics of a few of them at the field. This gives a better perspective.

I am not here to tweak anyone's shorts. I however feel the need to speak up when we and the manufacturer has worked hard to bring a product line to reality. Be nice here. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is no need to bash.

Regards,

Pete

Feb 01, 2011, 01:02 PM
Whoa... gimme a Rare Bear!
Feb 01, 2011, 01:12 PM
Suspended Account
Pete is right all the planes look like a warbird. If you guys can do better then go through all the stuff that he does to get these planes. And your right about having a 100% scale airplane. You know how are these would fly if they were 100% scale. They wouldnt. These are soppose to be fun warbirds to bash around at your local field or park. I think they all look great. Im down to buy the Rarebear. Thanks Pete for bringing these to the market.
Feb 01, 2011, 01:19 PM
2948 scale Combat
Sign Me up.... They look good... Send me one,
I will try it out and write a review.
Feb 01, 2011, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
Just waiting for then to post on the website.
Feb 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Pete, I agree.

And thanks for posting the photos here.

I was hoping to get samples of all these new mini warbirds soon but Jalin has been very busy and was only able to get two on the way to me before CNY. When he sent me the original photos of them, he mentioned that they had played around with using 4s on one of them and the speed on the stock power system was insane! I know a lot of you love speed and thought for the price point you would be thrilled to get these new mini warbirds.

I like all of the discussuon here on RCG but I sometimes get the feeling that folks start the scale bashing if for no other reason than because they think it is somehow chic to complain about it? Not bashing anyone specifically here but just saying that I think you have to look at all of the factors that go into getting a model from the drawing board into production and ending up with a product that actually flies well. If you think you know how to do it better, I suggest doing just that.
Last edited by Bajora; Feb 01, 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edit .... TWO on the way, not one
Feb 01, 2011, 01:39 PM
AA6JB
Thread OP
I REALLY wanted Jalin to hook me up with the Bear! I am loving that one.

Quick Reply