May 18, 2011, 08:57 AM
Love anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
I was flying my 60mm EDF over there for awhile.. At least until the Sun started setting at 5pm.

Greenbriar and the Karl Davey field was good for small planes. I could fly the circuit with my Jet but nothing fancy.
Your jet looks really COOL in the air.

Forecast for this weekend says awesome Saturday and more awesome on Sunday. Let's hope the promise becomes a reality. So far it appears my time opening to fly will be Sunday morning. If that's not the case, I will put my foot down and demand to get an hour or two in the afternoon ... if that doesn't work out, I will beg the point is that I HAVE to get some flying this weekend... come on weather!
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Love anything RC
Quote:
If anyone is interested. Here's a FPV video from Bles Park between Cascades and Ashburn.
Pretty cool video. I've been staying a bit away from the FPV threads because of the temptation. Since I disassemble my set up to intall the ET OSD Pro, I haven't put it together. Everytime I see the complexity and the time that it will probably would take me... I kind of look the other way. Who know when I might get to it, considering the few and short spots of time I get.

So you are not using any OSDs at all? Are you using 900, 1.2-3 or 2.4Ghz? I was at Brookstone the other day and they were demoing the quadcopter. I believe you said you had it. How does it perform outside with let's say... 10mph wind? Any mods you've done to it?
May 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
RC Addict
Quads at Brookstone? I guess that's the sign that this stuff has gone mainstream.
May 18, 2011, 09:54 AM
Life, Liberty & the Pursuit...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703
Your jet looks really COOL in the air.

Forecast for this weekend says awesome Saturday and more awesome on Sunday. Let's hope the promise becomes a reality. So far it appears my time opening to fly will be Sunday morning. If that's not the case, I will put my foot down and demand to get an hour or two in the afternoon ... if that doesn't work out, I will beg the point is that I HAVE to get some flying this weekend... come on weather!
Me too! Sunday morning is a possibility. Ya begging seems to be more effective than putting your foot down
May 18, 2011, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
If anyone is interested. Here's a FPV video from Bles Park between Cascades and Ashburn.

J3 Cub - Bles Park
Nice FPV flight! One of these days I would like to do that on my heli. Btw that park looks big I might check it out when I'm in that area.
May 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Just my observation.... Surfed RR Fuel Classifieds a few minutes ago and the first 2 pages are nothing but Trex 600/700 nitros that are for sale. The Trex 700 is leading the pack on quantity with almost 10 helis on the first 2 pages and the price is kinda low for those sizes... WOW! I guess nitro helis are not hot anymore even with the new heli designs that are out there. With Lipos getting really cheap more and more people are opting for EP powered helis.
May 18, 2011, 01:09 PM
Love anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly
Quads at Brookstone? I guess that's the sign that this stuff has gone mainstream.
It's the Parrot AR Drone quadcopter. All you need to do is buy it, set it up with your iphone wifi and fly it... thristy... put the controller down, take a sip, pic up the controller and keep flying. The camera is all connected for FPV so, as I understand it, there is nothing else to do.

Could you imagine this technolgy and simplicity in the hands of a teen. I can almost hear it "hey, what are the girls doing now in their dorms... don't know let me get my bird out and check it out "

Here is the site with the product. They have a demo video as well.

http://www.brookstone.com/ipod-acces...ash|652479p|s2

Parrot's AR Drone does iPhone controlled augmented reality, blows our mind at CES 2010 (3 min 21 sec)
May 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
It's the Parrot AR Drone quadcopter. All you need to do is buy it, set it up with your iphone wifi and fly it...
Yeah, a couple people had them at the indoor fly-ins over the winter, I just didn't know they had made it to Brookstone. I guess when you have a nice packaged product that hooks up to something as mainstream as the iPhone/iPad, it only makes sense.

BTW, I will be adding a quad to my fleet in the next month or two. Home-made, of course except possibly the flight control board. I debated between a tri and a quad, and finally decided I should try building something that had no servos. If I had an iPhone instead of an Android phone, I could even fly it with this: http://www.iphly.org/.
May 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
RealRCReviews
Has anyone flown Baron Cameron Park with any success? I have to take a friend to a doc appt and wait for 2 hours in Reston, and I noticed a huge complex of soccer fields. I also noticed it said something about allowing dogs to roam without leashes... Anyone know anything about this field? Or if there is anywhere else to fly around there at 8AM?
May 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:

J3 Cub - Bles Park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE_7xUN4eDA
Man that has to be some great fun. I have to try that some day. But that looks hard. Do you use the FPV gear all of the time while flying? Or can you take third person peeks to get your orientation?
May 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
Flying is Freedom
My sons game got rained out today and his practice got rained out yesterday, guess what that means. Probably, two games this weekend.
I still should be able to squeeze in some flying, but it will have to be close, like at FMS.

I can't wait till the Chinese release their own version of a Drone.
We know they built the other ones, we just need to wait till they release a "Slightly" different version
May 18, 2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate
Has anyone flown Baron Cameron Park with any success? I also noticed it said something about allowing dogs to roam without leashes... Anyone know anything about this field?
Yeah, I flew my electric there back in 2005 a few times. They have a dog park there where the dogs can roam around. I drove north past the dog park to a crushed rock road that leads to two soccer fields that are kinda tucked away. I had some plain clothes 'officer' that was at the dog park threaten to cite me if he saw me flying there again. When I asked for ID, the best he could come up with was some Fairfax County name badge. After that I moved to Algonkian and NVRC.

I have a feeling that someone at the dog park said something. The plane was kinda stirring up the dogs. It was about the time everyone was coming home and walking their dogs. Early mornings I never had a problem over there. From my understanding it was NVRC's original field before they moved to Arcola.
May 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
Quote:
So you are not using any OSDs at all? Are you using 900, 1.2-3 or 2.4Ghz?
For what I'm doing I don't really see the point of a OSD. I'd be nice to have the extra data, but it clutters things up visually in the goggles. If I was doing more long range flights I could see the benefit. I've done the whole High and Far flights before and was using the OSD then. I've found short to medium range flights more enjoyable. At those distances you can do a great deal of sight seeing. Plus if a failure happens you don't have to hike as far to recover.

I'm using 900mhz Video with a 2.4ghz RC-TX. Using this frequency mash up, you'll lose RC-TX before you lose video.. However I rather see where my plane went down. Plus you can feel 'missing frames' when your RC-TX starts to lose signal. About that time you lift the TX up a bit higher and make a turn. From what I've flown, usually with stock stuff that's about a 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile out laterally.

Quote:
I was at Brookstone the other day and they were demoing the quadcopter. I believe you said you had it. How does it perform outside with let's say... 10mph wind? Any mods you've done to it?
I haven't done any Mods to my AR. I use a bigger MaH battery pack than the stock one. That'll give you a bit more run time. I haven't flown mine since the mishap with the vapor at the fly-in. Cracked a cross bar. I'd love to migrate into a true quad, but haven't mustered up the funding yet.
May 18, 2011, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamcam
Man that has to be some great fun. I have to try that some day. But that looks hard. Do you use the FPV gear all of the time while flying? Or can you take third person peeks to get your orientation?
I study Google maps before flying a location. You can always slide the glasses off and try to sky scan to find yourself.. Just ripping the glasses off your face and going from dark to really bright is harsh. Spotters are nice to have around when you're in a new location or just starting out. Once you establish a patter and know your landmarks you can branch out from there. I've asked plenty of the guys at NVRC to spot me so I could establish a pattern.

The FPV Cub I launched and landed 3rd person, flew 1st person. My Skywalker I'll launch 3rd person and Fly/Land 1st person. One of my other FPV planes I was in the glasses from takeoff to landing. Once you get used to flying in the glasses it's hard to go back.

Adding in some of the flight stabilization technology like the FY-20a or FMA Co-Pilot really helps. If you get in a situation you can let go of the sticks and let the plane correct itself. There's plenty of return to home offerings out there on the market. Worse comes to worse, you flip off your TX and the plane comes home.
May 19, 2011, 05:56 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Don't know where your friend needs to be dropped off in Reston. If its close to 28, scoot down to the location called the "Hill". I work near Centerville road where it goes under the toll road. This is on the Herndon/Reston border. From here it would take me about 20 minutes to get to the Hill location. If you have 2 hours to kill this would be the location I would suggest, so long as its not pouring down...

KKKKFL

Quick Reply