This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

classic Elf 20" (stick-n-tissue)

as this blog is getting too long, i better keep adding here on top what's new. easier to see it. thanks for your interest.
NEW:

jan 15
am starting a thread on 'motors for ultra micro models with 6400 brick'. give a look to it and bring your comments and contribution
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?t=1368507s.

january 12, 2011
Classic Elf 20" (stick-n-tissue)
100 sq in, 50 grams auw, for 4s/suk components.
i spent the past 5 weeks working as hard as i could, re-designing the structure of the Elf 20" for balsa stick and tissue, building it, and just finished it. i have been doing foamies for the past who-knows-how-long, and finally went back to balsa. i decided to have 2 planes based on same design, same basic dimensions, 1 foam, the other balsa, and compare them.
so far, what i have to say is that, as we could expect, foamies build way faster, don't require as much skills or precision; take more punishment, and are easier to repair. what i was not expecting is that foamies are lighter than balsa planes, even stick and tissue: the foam Elf 20 weighs 42 grams auw, and the balsa 50. now, i still have to fly them, to learn what the difference in flight is, although that has to be indoor at the time, and in a hurry, because the boys at the gym only let light stuff for a few minutes.(update: maiden flight: see the thread at indoor and micro models-link below)
>>here are some details of the build: airframe: same wing planform (20"x5"=100 sqin), edges are 1/16 x1/8 balsa with 1/16 sq spruce=1/16x3/16-sanded wedge shaped (yes, sharp); 2x1/16 sq spars over/under; 1/32 c grain ribs with geodetic structure=no warps. wing attached with rubber bands. fuse/tail: 1/16x3/32 and diagonals all over. covering is transparent blue microlite, except transparent red ultracote lite on top of wing/tail, clear microlite on bottom surfaces and windows. .048" (3/64") landing gear, 1.23" dubro wheels; .8mm cf pushrods. glued mainly with ambroid. avionics are from sukhoi: 8.5 geared motor, 130/70 (5.1") prop; 6400 brick, cells from 110 to 160-maybe even 240, as the cell goes at the cg.
and steerable tailwheel from the suk! auw 50 grams with a nano 160.
more details on the thread at indoor and micro models:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1370558
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 04, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
No Guts No Glory

Love the geodetic wing

I realy like the geodetic wing. Cheers mv
Jan 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thread OP

no warps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel2003
I realy like the geodetic wing. Cheers mv
thanks.
you don't see many like that.
lots of time spent doing precise joints, but it's worth it, as is the way to get the lightest warp free structure-and once finished it is there, the most pleasing to the eye-at least to me, and guys like you.

Quick Reply