Jan 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Gee Bee Z from Fiddlersgreen for PZ gear (with short video)

Hello everybody!

I've started the building of this mythic plane from the golden age.

WS: 45,5 cm or 18".

Material used:
mostly 4mm wall foam covered with printed waterslide decals.
2mm depron for the wing and a few inner parts.
durobatics

I've copied every part of the graphics in a word file at the right scale.

i've then printed the parts ('Mirrored') onto the decal paper.

Once the ink has dried (half an hour) i apply some UHU glue on the ink side and stick it on the foam.

After a while, i I apply a cotton soaked with water on the backing paper. When the backing becomes slightly transparent, i slide it off the decal.
Easy!

I've started with the wings. They are covered on both sides.
I've glued two light carbon spars on the leading edge.

The ailerons are like the original model.

I've first thought of using 2 PZ micro servos, but not only it will add some drag, but this is not very good looking.
So, i would like to use a single servo with a carbon rod which runs along the wing and turns toward the aileron.

I have a 1,6g falcon servo. I don't know if it has enough torque to move the ailerons as the linkage are bent and thus need more effort.

A few years ago, someone has posted on this forum a video of that kind of control, but i'm unable to find it.
Thanks for your advices and your help.
More to follow.
Last edited by indoor_fr; Jan 29, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2011, 03:12 AM
Thread OP
Here is the fuselage.
Last edited by indoor_fr; Jan 13, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Jan 12, 2011, 04:40 PM
Looks good so far. I'm eagerly awaiting an update. The Falcon servo is very powerful so should be fine for the ailerons.

Michael
Jan 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
Gary
I like it! The graphics are awesome and I know the building method works well as it did in my Pitts that you commented on. I look forward to seeing the completion.

I am interested in your adhesive approach to the waterslide decals. Do you think a spray adhesive like the 3M 77 would work as well?
Jan 12, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot
Looks good so far. I'm eagerly awaiting an update. The Falcon servo is very powerful so should be fine for the ailerons.

Michael
Thanks Michael for the comment and the advice.
I'll try to update the thread as soon as i can.
I hope you'll start your own soon.
Frank.
Last edited by indoor_fr; Jan 13, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Jan 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklein
I like it! The graphics are awesome and I know the building method works well as it did in my Pitts that you commented on. I look forward to seeing the completion.
Thank you!

That is what i like with the paper models. Great graphics without paint!

Quote:
I am interested in your adhesive approach to the waterslide decals. Do you think a spray adhesive like the 3M 77 would work as well?
Of course, you can use some 3M 77 glue. It works, especially with EPP. UHU glue doesn't work with EPP.

The adhesion with 3M77 is better than with UHU, whatever foam you are using.
Now, i guess that The 3M77 glue is heavier than UHU, and it can be an issue on small planes.
Also, i have a plane which tranparent parts on the graphics has turned to "yellow" after a while, and i wonder if it is not because of the 3M77 glue...
Jan 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
Gary
Interesting question. I will spray some 3M77 on a white background and place under a UV light for a few weeks. See if it yellows.
Jan 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thread OP

Dummy engine

I've glued the mounting ring and the dummy engine to the fuselage.
These parts are made with durobatics covered will decals.

I've found on internet a picture (see atachment) of the front part of the engine, which is better than the fiddlersgreen one.

I'm about to finish the cowling. It will slide over the dummy engine.

The engine is left open: the front part will be in the cowling (at the front behind the cowling ring) and will be used to support the real motorization.

more pictures to come.
Last edited by indoor_fr; Jan 24, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Jan 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Interesting question. I will spray some 3M77 on a white background and place under a UV light for a few weeks. See if it yellows.
Good idea.
Jan 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoor_fr
I've glued the mounting ring and the dummy engine to the fuselage.
These parts are made with durobatics covered will decals.

I've found on internet a picture of the front part of the engine, which is better than the fiddelrsgreen one(se pic).

I'm about to finish the cowling. It will slide over the dummy engine.

The engine is left open: the front part will be in the cowling (at the front behind the cowling ring) and will be used to support the real motorization.

more pictures to come.
Could these help?
Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Could these help?
Thanks!
Jan 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
Looks very interesting.

Pete
Jan 13, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thread OP

Waterslide decals

Thanks Pete.

For those who are interested by using waterslidedecals with wallfoam, i recommend to buy to CraftyComputer in UK.
The decals are glossy, very light, and work very well with the "miror printed" technic.

I've tried lasertran decals. Not only they are not glossy, but the result with the "mirrored printed" technic is very disappointing.

Also, i use UHU Por glue for the building. This glue is really magic.

Here are pics of the cowling alone and over the engine.

More to come.
keep on watching.
Jan 13, 2011, 07:19 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
looks great so far!
one of my favorite planes too!
Jan 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
Thread OP

ailerons control

Thanks Derk!

About the ailerons, i've thought of using a very light wire for fishing with the system shown on the image.
Not the easiest, but perhaps the most efficient way to move the ailerons.

Quick Reply