May 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
I have been very interested in these as well.
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
After talking to Skip today he convinced me(not hard to do) to buy the new Poky40. I will have it some time next week. I'm hoping to fly it next weekend at Green's Peak. This plane looks Awesome. I've wanted on since Skip first put it on his site. I have herd some really good reports about it medium to light air DS'ing. I'm sure ballasted it will really scream.
May 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH

Poky Report

Well it took about 1 & 1/2 hours to build the Poky 40
Really I think it's the quickest build I've ever done.
The wind was15-25 mph on our NCAR flying site.
I tossed the little poky out and a few clicks of up trim and it was flying great.
The little poky flies really fast and looks even faster because of it's size.
I did all of my normal acro and poky loved it all ,even inverted flight
my CG might be a little aft as it took very little push on the stick to hold level inverted flight and it was ever so slightly a bit pitchy in level upright flight.
There were a couple of lulls in the breeze as large thermals passed by the hill,,the poky thermals very well with the exception that it gets small fast as it goes up
I'm very happy with my poky 40 and I can't wait to fly it again after doing a bit of fine tuning.
I built mine as light as I could and it came in at 11oz.
I will be ordering a full carbon version that I will build heavy for DS'ing.

Nick
May 28, 2011, 11:01 AM
Nick, Do you have any pic's of the radio install? What servo's did you use in the wings? Great flight report.

Adam
May 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns
Nick, Do you have any pic's of the radio install? What servo's did you use in the wings? Great flight report.

Adam
I don't have any pics yet but I will post some later.
I used a 4 cell AAA 750mah nmhi pack with 3 cells together and one in front up in the nose. Dymond D-60's in the wing and an optima 7, 2.4 ghz receiver.

Nick
May 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Nick, 11oz. is really light; what would be the limit for the wind speed?
May 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSloper
Nick, 11oz. is really light; what would be the limit for the wind speed?
I flew it in 25mph and it probably gusted to 30mph and there were no penetration issues at all,,it's a slippery little plane.

Nick
May 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
Is there room for Ballast? Post more pics when you can, I would love to see them.

Adam
May 31, 2011, 08:58 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Here are a few pic's that might help others in the build

Nick
May 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
Nick,

Thanks for the pic's. Did you need servo extension's and what battery pack did you use? Now we need a flight video

Adam
Jun 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
I will start the build on my New Poky 40 this weekend. Does anyone have any more pic's or video's of there's. When I got the plane I was amazed how small the plane is and how good the quality is. Really nice little plane. I can't wait to fly it.

Adam
Sep 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH

Poky update

Well I got to DS my Poky 40 at Jones pass yesterday.
The wind was 15-25mph strait into the hill.
The Poky is always fun on the front side and will fly is just about any wind mild to wild at its unballasted 11 oz. AUW.
Well it does even better on the dark side
I ds'ed the poky for 4 different sessions doing hundreds of laps and a ton of DS acro cruising around 125-150mph
The Poky 40 is definantly the fastest 11 oz. plane I've ever flown.
It's very smoothe in the DS groove and I can't wait to see how fast one will go with a little ballast in it.
all in all the poky 40 was so much fun flying yesterday it had me laughing and dancing,,I think I was doing the Hoky poky.

The Poky 40 now is a must have in my DS quiver.

Nick
Sep 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
I just orderd another Poky 40 with spread tow carbon

Nick
Dec 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Just picked up my spread tow poky,time to clean off the bench and get to building.
Jan 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Here is my lateset pair

The red and white one is my light all arounder at 11.0 oz. AUW. and it seems to like wind up to 30 mph and still penetrates fine,I DS'd this plane in 20 mph winds and it loved it.

The black and white one is span ballasted with 3 oz. in each wing tip and has a spread tow carbon lay-up on the wing. the AUW came in at 17.6 oz.
I expect it will be a bit more fun in bigger air.

Nick

Quick Reply