Jan 10, 2011, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

ESM/KMP 82" Hawker Hurricane

My other winter project just arrived at my door step this evening.

Originally, it was supposed to be an ESM/KMP LA-7, but due to the powers-that-be my backorder somehow was misplaced and after multiple attempts by KMP to correct it; it just was not in the cards.
Instead I chose to replace my order with the Hawker Hurricane (I was going to pick one up later in the summer anyways) so I'll just reorder the LA-7 in the future. Andrew was kind enough to offer me a discount on the Hurricane to make things right which was great. Thank you Andrew.

Back to the model; it arrived safe and sound with no damage (always a big worry.) It is double boxed and very well protected.

First impressions: it's a big airframe! At 82" the wing is huge. I'm actually a little worried whether or not it will fit in my vehicle.
I removed the major parts of the model from the box to have a closer look at them. The fuselage has nice detail with recessed panel lines and the profile looks accurate considering it is an ARF. The fuselage is fiberglass typical for ESM, however, the aft part of the fuselage seems a little soft and pliable similar to plastic, unlike my Typhoon which is pretty rigid.

The wings, horizontal stabs, and rudder are built up balsa, ply and covering and even though not has nice as the Typhoon's composite wings and detailed panel lines, the Hurricane's wings are definitely lighter.
It is here I noticed that the ailerons, and elevators now use CA hinges instead of the Robart style pin hinges. The split flaps use the pinned flat hinges, and the rudder uses the Robart style pin hinges.
I also noticed, as a result, of using the CA hinges on the ailerons, the fit and finish of the ailerons into the wing is not as good as in the Typhoon. Here I will have to shave some material from the ailerons in order for them to be flush with the trailing edge of the wing.
I also noticed that the split flaps hang up in the closed position so I will have to trim those also.
Also, one of the elevators doesn't fit properly to the stab and will require material to be removed in order to fill the gap.

I decided to dry fit the pieces together. The wing went together very well. I do not see any need for trimming here. However, when I fitted the horizontal stabs to the fuselage, I did notice a small misalignment between the stab's leading edge and the root in the fuselage.
Other than that, all the other large parts seemed to fit fine.
I also decided to trim the canopy and fit it to the fuse. Upon cutting, I was dismayed to see pieces break away as I made my cut. WARNING: Be very careful when trimming the canopy as the painted areas are very brittle. I was unfortunate enough to have a piece break off in the lower wind screen frame. I should be able to fill the hole once the canopy is permanently attached.

All in all, this Hurricane is quite impressive in size and detail for an ARF.
However, I do feel the quality of this model is a step down from the only other ESM/KMP ARF I own, the Typhoon. It does have some minor fit and finish issues, and care is required when trimming the canopy as it is very brittle.

I'm planning on using an E-Flite Power 160, a Castle Creations Phoenix 120HV, and either 10S or 12S lipos swinging either a 19x12-2 APC-E or a 17x9-2.
I won't be working on this one until my Typhoon is finished, but hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

Cheers,
Peter
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Peter,
Seems like a logical project after your current one. Nice.
I suspect that Ty will make a new canopy in due time like he has for the other ESM models, then offer it through VQ Warbirds. You may want to drop Tomas a note and ask about it. His canopies ar thicker yet still clear. I found the corsair canopy also very thin and brittle. If you run it under some warm water before cutting it that will help.
Cheers, Sean
Jan 11, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hey Pete,

You're as bad as I am with multiple builds going on. The Hurricane looks very cool. Looks like Ponsonby Britt OBE is going to have company defending skies over the White Cliffs !!

Joe
Jan 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyscale
Peter,
Seems like a logical project after your current one. Nice.
I suspect that Ty will make a new canopy in due time like he has for the other ESM models, then offer it through VQ Warbirds. You may want to drop Tomas a note and ask about it. His canopies ar thicker yet still clear. I found the corsair canopy also very thin and brittle. If you run it under some warm water before cutting it that will help.
Cheers, Sean
Thanks for the tip on the warm water, Sean. Although I wish I had known prior to cutting.
Actually, Ty does have a canopy made for the Hurricane. I have Ty's cockpit ordered from Tomas and now I may have to order the canopy too.

Cheers,
Peter
Jan 11, 2011, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder
Hey Pete,

You're as bad as I am with multiple builds going on. The Hurricane looks very cool. Looks like Ponsonby Britt OBE is going to have company defending skies over the White Cliffs !!

Joe
Haha, I know; it's a disease I think!
Did I tell you I once met Ponsonby Britt? Great man although a bit mysterious. **tongue in cheek**
I wonder if I can get OBE after my name now?

Cheers,
Peter
Last edited by Orvis; Jan 11, 2011 at 09:28 AM.
Jan 11, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hey Peter,

Are you doing a full NAV light set up on the Hurricane? You may have noticed I have a fetish for NAV lights They just bring the plane to life.

The Hurricane only lights one landing light at a time.

BTW,, If you know Ponsonby you'll be sad to hear Jay Ward just passed last Oct.

If you want to hear Ponsonby's story you can hear it here. The sound gets better as this symposium goes on and is well worth the listen. Go 1/2 way down the page and click on "Professor Neon presents The JAY WARD Animation Special"

http://www.vortex.com/av

Joe
Jan 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hey Peter,

Are you doing a full NAV light set up on the Hurricane? You may have noticed I have a fetish for NAV lights They just bring the plane to life.

The Hurricane only lights one landing light at a time.

BTW,, If you know Ponsonby you'll be sad to hear Jay Ward just passed last Oct.

If you want to hear Ponsonby's story you can hear it here. The sound gets better as this symposium goes on and is well worth the listen. Go 1/2 way down the page and click on "Professor Neon presents The JAY WARD Animation Special"

http://www.vortex.com/av

Joe
Sorry Joe, but I have no intentions right now of installing nav lights. I;m still trying to wrap my head around the whole electric power setup and getting these birds to fly.

Joe, we are talking about the Rocky and Bullwinkle Jay Ward right? I believe he passed away in '89.

I'll give the sound track a listen when I get home this evening.

Cheers,
Peter
Jan 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hey Peter,

Understand completely on the LEDs. Give a shout when yo get to them. I have a Dimension Engineering Delight program for the lights if you want it. I've also got the gun port flash programs for that controller that I made so that the light don't all flash at the same time.

Yup, that Jay Ward. You right it was 89' I was looking at links, typed that and thought that sounded odd.... oops.

Joe
Jan 12, 2011, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Hey Peter,

Understand completely on the LEDs. Give a shout when yo get to them. I have a Dimension Engineering Delight program for the lights if you want it. I've also got the gun port flash programs for that controller that I made so that the light don't all flash at the same time.

Yup, that Jay Ward. You right it was 89' I was looking at links, typed that and thought that sounded odd.... oops.

Joe
Joe,
That would be cool. I'd like to see the program just to see what it's all about.

Thanks,
Peter
Jan 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hey Peter,

Ok, here is the link to the Dimension Engineering Software you need to both program and design LED functions.

This is the Starter Page.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...tarterKit.html

Software direct link.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/setup.exe

You load this software, then open my file from within the software.

To see how my programs work click on the tab at the top that says simulator.

On the right you'll see a slider. Click and hold that.

That slider represents any switch you choose on your transmiter. I chose a three position switch(like a flap switch)

With the Slider/Switch in the center both Landing lights are off.

With the Slider/Switch in the up position one landing lights.

With the Slider/Switch in the down position the other landing light lights.

You wont see it in the simulator but I have this file programed to give you a delay from when you flick the TX SWITCH to the time the landing light comes on. That's why its call my "Stagger" file.

The master "switch" for all the lights(which turns ON the NAV lights) is a separate PICO Switch. Which is a switch Dimension sells. I wired it into the signal wire of the Delight Controller and connected it to a separate 2 position switch on my TX.

I flip that TX Switch up/ON and it allows signal to go to the Delight controller. Powering the entire thing. The Delight then control's the landing lights.

You could just run the NAV lights all the time and cut out that part.

I know this reads as a confusing mess but it really isn't that bad. Hey if I can do it....

Now If you only want to run ONE landing light and not light the other at any time. The file labeled John V Hurri Lights. Will do that. I designed that set up to run EVERYTHING from one Three position TX switch and JUST the Delight Controller for a friend who didn't want the two light option. You could use that to run both lights at the same time although it's not scale

Once you have the software and file open and running click on the other channels to see how each is programed. You can play with all the variables.

When you have the program designed the way you like it you use this same software to program the actual Delight Unit just like you do an ESC.

Since this gets to be clear as mud I'll post another post with the Gun Flash program.

Joe
Jan 12, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Joe!
Jan 12, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hey Peter,

Here's the Gun Flash program for the Hurricane. I haven't added guns to my Hurri yet(I have a couple of projects in the works) But my Yak-3 and FW-190 have gun flashes. Technically my P-40 does also although it's siting with the fuse broken and wings ripped in half

I programed my JR9303 so that I use the Trainer Button to fire my guns.

Here's how...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532049

Then each gun gets it's own LED controlled individually by the Delight Controller. The controller has six individual channels in it which are all controlled by the one push of Trainer Button. Push the button and Ta ta ta taaaaa.... Amaze your friends.... Scare your enemies !!!

I found some new LEDs that are REALLY Bright. The brightest yet that at in the standard 5mm round form.

http://stores.ebay.com/HKJE-Led-Lamp...=p4634.c0.m322

I like the Warm White ones for more of a scale look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-PC-0-5W-5mm-6...item439c73319d

Most Standard LEDs are in the 21,000mch range. These are 80,000mcd's. Think BRIGHT.

The mcd and viewing angle combine to effect the intensity you end up seeing. These are the brightest I've found in this form.

I look for LEDs that have "5 Chips" in them.

Here's a tutorial I did on this....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1221216

I found these LEDs after I wrote that.

The videos are not on You tube currently. I need to reload them at some point.

Joe
Jan 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Peter-- Seems like you, me and Joe are on the same wavelength with regard to aircraft choice. Right before I bought the F7F I put the Hurri and Tiffie on my short list. Mad for RAF aircraft I guess. My next will probably be the Typhoon though after following your build thread. The shorter wingspan of the Tiffie is a factor a well.

I posted some lighting diagrams for the Hurricane in the much delayed Windrider Hurricane thread. I'll post them here if you like. They're from the Hurricane manual.

Joe-- I like the idea of using the DE module to program gun muzzle flashes. I'm trying to get a friend to design a simple schematic or chip program for the guns. Plan is to actuate it from the optional push button switch on the MPX EVO9 . Just a thought. (Still haven't finished my VQ Hurricane 60).

Mike
Jan 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
That would be great Mike.

Thanks,
Peter
Jan 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Yup, we seem to gravitate away from the common subjects!!

Here's a link to a post where I re-posted an email I got from the owners of the full scale Hurri that the VQ version was modeled after.

I was setting thngs up and couldn't find any good info so I just asked politely and got this note in return.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=268

Hope this helps.

Mike, Yea the DE unit is the cats err.... whiskers... Once you have a couple of gun flash files pre-made I just wire things up and flash the controller as the last bit of my build and they're done.

Once you have the initial starter kit it's just $30 per plane and you have all the flexibility needed.

Joe

Quick Reply