This thread is privately moderated by jbc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 10, 2011, 01:12 AM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
Build Log

F5e 70mm EDF By Starmax

The F5e Tiger II 70mm EDF from Starmax is another jet to keep an eye out for. It does everything you'd expect from a Jet in the 70mm range. It goes together nicely, the build is relatively straightforward and there's good provisions for modifications and upgrades for those that are handy.

THE GOOD :
- Looks SEXY
- Desert Camo scheme is great for orientation
- Good provisions for retract installation
- Flies very stable and control surfaces are responsive
- Very low stall speed and can slow to a crawl
- Comes in 3 schemes Desert, Grey and Swiss airforce
- Paint work is good

THE BAD :
- Foam is soft and crappy Starmax EPS which will damage to even the slightest knock
- Battery bay is a little small for an EDF this size 1312mm long and only just fits upto a 4S 2200
- No covers included to conceal wiring and secure ESC to fuselage
- Short flight times for higher power setups due to limited size battery being able to fit in battery bay

I used this SAPAC/Global Fly motor and fan combo available from HiModel and on bench testing I got 883Watts at 62Amps with a 2200 30C 4S battery. This gave me more than enough power however the small battery bay and battery only allows for short 3-4min flights.

The retracts can be found here at Hobbyking which are also the same as the ones I used here from PW-RC as I wanted the included struts Phillip provides to have as spares. They hold up well and are great for this application.

Overall this is a very nice 70mm EDF Starmax have produced It was a pleasure to build, maiden gave no surprises and once trimmed out was an absolute pleasure to fly and looked simply stunning in the air. My only gripe really with this plane is the quality of the foam, Starmax really need to look at this as the EPS even compared with other EPS models, it really is on par with the cheapest beer cooler foam out there. Once you get past this you're left with a fantastic looking and flying jet that should bring you many hours of pleasure and have the peanut gallery watching with awe. Want something a little different than the traditional F16 and F18 then definitely check the 70mm F5e!

F5e 70mm EDF Electric RETRACTS Mod + Flight & Box review (10 min 33 sec)
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply