Jan 13, 2011, 04:27 PM

success on foam boards: best cutting technique....

do you suggest cutting w/ paper on or off Ds boards? Hot knife Hotwire or putting it on the band saw? I like the Tiger Moth option! Made me even re-watch the flick High road to china (1983)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2011, 04:48 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I generally take paper off first, then either measure and draw (as with the One Sheet Glider and the wings, major lines of the OSB) or trace around templates right on the foam. Then cut out with a #11 xacto knife for the curvy areas and it or a Stanley knife for straight cuts. I have a couple of nice metal straight edges for that, as well. I recently started an OSG (#4, gotta quit losing them) and drew the lines on the paper, then pulled it off of individual pieces. You kinda have to check the particular piece you are working with to see if the paper comes off easily. If not (particularly with Readiboard) you will leave paper/adhesive residue that's a hassle to get off after stripping dry. I definitely take paper off of all parts. It adds way more weight than it's worth in my thinking. Also, the paper on readiboard is just cheap kraft paper, and it soaks up water and comes off easy whether one is trying to get it off a full sheet, or if one gets his plane wet (on snow?) and it starts to "shed". I don't have a hot wire, so can't comment on it, but the knive works fine for me.
Jan 13, 2011, 08:33 PM

Cutting

Sounds good I will give it a try. A buddy now wants one as well. If it keeps up I may try the band saw w a very fine blade and stack a few.

Thanks again for the comments and what looks to be a fun well thought out design
Jan 13, 2011, 11:27 PM
AKA Don
I have a band saw but to me an exacto #11 blade is much easier, faster, and gives a cleaner more accurate cut. Plus no dust!
Jan 13, 2011, 11:27 PM
2 left thumbs!
I love single sheet planes, I have a small collection of scaled down profiles that fit on a single sheet, but u get a full fuse bipe! Smokin good work dude!
Jan 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
RC Adddict
Well another Hockey game and a little more done . i got 9 gram servos but i think i'll wait to get some 5's . I got the wings on and the horizontal stabilizer . I made some landing gear similar to the ones off a blue baby , Theres another game to watch tomorow so i'll probably do a bit more and try and take some pictures .

Still have to figure out the cowl hmmm.
Jan 14, 2011, 11:31 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Wil: Cool you're making progress! As an "early adopter" you're my beta tester, so have you found any glitches yet? While I made a wood form to shrink over, I also have made forms out of the thick foam (dow/OwensCorning styrofoam) and got good results shrinking pop bottles over them. Just not as durable - maybe one to two cowls per form, as the foam gets compressed as the plastic shrinks.
Jan 14, 2011, 05:34 PM
RC Adddict
Well i havent found any issues yet , i'll get some pics . Its been going together well .... errrr it was . Stitches and a broken finger at work today will be putting a hold on all of my builds for a while . Hammer : 1 Finger : 0
Jan 14, 2011, 10:51 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
ouch!!!!!!I hate it when tools attack! Quick healing!
Jan 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
RC Adddict
Well this is as far as i'll get on my plane for a while Name: 003-Optimized.jpg
Views: 337
Size: 47.5 KB
Description: .

I guess it'll give me a little time to play more with Sketchup Name: 002-Optimized.jpg
Views: 377
Size: 46.0 KB
Description:

Hopefully this hand heals fast Name: 005-Optimized.jpg
Views: 280
Size: 46.6 KB
Description:
Jan 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
She looks great! and you're so close....I should upload the skp file and you can play with it morphing the osb into other planes! Check the first post.
Jan 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
figured I should post these before taking her to the USA tomorrow, just in case .....
Jan 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
AKA Don
Whoa! Ready for the big dance. Looks great!
Jan 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Looks really nice Mike.

Kudos!

Ken
Jan 17, 2011, 10:36 AM
Ditto's Looks Beautiful

I am building with both wings swept back, I would like your opinion of a few things as starting points.

1. Dihedral?
2. Both wings?
3. Starting COG?
4. Battery location?

Thanks for designing and sharing all your work.

Rich

Quick Reply